From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Notable specialists in the Ghost-type include Agatha of the Kanto Elite Four, Morty of Ecruteak City, Phoebe of the Hoenn Elite Four, and Fantina of Hearthome City.
- Are super effective against: Ghost
- Are not very effective against: None (Dark and Steel weren't introduced until Generation II)
- Have no effect against: Normal, Psychic
- Are super effective against: Ghost, Psychic
- Are not very effective against: Dark, Steel
- Have no effect against: Normal
The Ghost-type is one of the smallest elemental types in the game, with few additions in each new Pokémon game. They are also unique in the fact that they have a type-specific attack called Curse, which, other than being the only Template:Type2 move, works differently for Ghost-types than it does for other Pokémon.
Ghost Pokémon are used mainly to inflict status effects, like confusion or paralysis. Most Ghost-type moves cause some sort of effect or a status ailment. They are a good type to use in Pokémon battling, because of their possession of all-around good attacks, such as Hypnosis and Shadow Ball.
It is interesting to note that the weaknesses of the Ghost-type are covered by the resistances of the Template:Type2, and vice-versa, so their combination, seen in the Pokémon Sableye and Spiritomb, has no weaknesses at all. What is to be remembered is that this does not make for a perfect Pokémon. There is also always the possibility for the immunities of the Ghost- and Dark-types to be removed via certain moves, such as Odor Sleuth, as well, making for a weakness.
When used in contests, Ghost-type moves typically become Smart moves, but some may be Cute or Tough moves.
In total, there are 18 Pokémon with the Ghost-type, making it the rarest of all types to be had by a Pokémon.
Pure Ghost-type Pokémon
Half Ghost-type Pokémon
Primary Ghost-type Pokémon
Secondary Ghost-type Pokémon
- Pure Ghost-type species were not introduced until Generation II.
- In Generation I, Ghost-type moves had no effect on Psychic-type Pokémon. This contradicts both official type charts published by Nintendo for their Red/Blue/Yellow strategy guides as well as the anime where it was said that Ghost-types are the best type to fight Psychic-type Pokémon. It is the only elemental type to go from 0× effectiveness to 2× effectiveness on another type between generations.
- There are no Ghost-type moves that have an accuracy lower than 100%, as all of them have a 100% accuracy or are status moves which do not miss.
- Ghost-type Pokémon are the only single-type Pokémon that can have more than one immunity.
- The Ghost-type is one of the two types that are weak to their own moves, together with the Dragon-type. Coincidentally, Giratina is a combination of both types.
- All Ghost-type Pokémon which have a second type that is weak to Ground-type attacks have the Levitate ability, so there is no Ghost-type Pokémon that is weak to Ground-type attacks.
- Ghost and Dark are the only two types that are super-effective against the same types: Psychic and Ghost.
- Ghost is the least abundant type among Pokémon, with only 18 Pokémon of this type among the 493 total.
- So far, the only Ghost-type attack with a base power greater than 80 is Shadow Force, which is exclusive to Giratina.
In other languages
- Dutch: Geest
- French: Spectre
- German: Geist
- Italian: Spettro
- Korean: 고스트 ghost
- Spanish: Fantasmapt:Tipo Ghost