From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the move Flash. For the field move, see Field Move.
Flash (Japanese: フラッシュ Flash) is a non-damaging Normal-type move introduced in Generation I. In the first three generations, it was HM05, but in Generation IV, it was changed to TM70.
Flash decreases the target's accuracy stat by one stage.
The accuracy of Flash is 70% in these generations.
Generation IV onward
The accuracy of Flash changes to 100%. All other effects are the same.
Outside of battle
Outside of battle, Flash will illuminate dark caves. The effect will last until the player exits the cave. When the player re-enters the cave, it will be dark again.
In Generation I, Generation II, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, it will light up the entire screen. In other games, it only illuminates a large circle around the player.
Caves in which Flash is usable
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: XD description.
|| Creates a brilliant flash of light that blinds the target. This technique reduces the opponent's accuracy.
|| Blinds the target with a bright flash of light, reducing the opponent's accuracy.
|| Blinds the foe to reduce accuracy.
|| Looses a powerful blast of light that cuts accuracy.*|
Looses a powerful blast of light that reduces accuracy.*
|| A blast of light that cuts the foe’s accuracy. It also illuminates caves.
|| Looses a powerful blast of light that cuts accuracy.
|| The user flashes a light that cuts the foe’s accuracy. It can also be used to illuminate caves.
|| The user flashes a bright light that cuts the target's accuracy. It can also be used to illuminate caves.
|Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.|
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Magical Pokémon Journey manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In other generations
Outside of battle
- In Pokémon Emerald, Flash is used to open the Ancient Tomb, the area in which Registeel resides. Flash is also used on the second floor of Abyssal Ruins to proceed to the next floor.
- Flash is the only move of the five original HM moves to lose its HM status. Even as an HM, Flash was never required to advance gameplay, as darkened caves are still navigable without the move.
- As Flash is not completely required, it is similar to Defog, which replaced it in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. The most notable difference is that although both foggy areas and dark caves can be more difficult to navigate, a dark area has no effect on the battles that take place there, whilst fog reduces the accuracy of all battlers.
- Volbeat is the only Pokémon capable of learning Flash naturally.
In other languages