From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the move Flash. For the field move, see Field Move.
Flash (Japanese: フラッシュ Flash) is a non-damaging Template:Type2 move introduced in Generation I. In the first three generations, it was HM05, but in Generation IV, it was changed to TM70.
Flash decreases the target's Accuracy stat by one stage. Flash will do nothing if the target's Accuracy stat has a stage of -6, and will fail if the target has a Substitute or is under the effect of Mist.
The accuracy of Flash is 70% in these generations.
The accuracy of Flash changes to 100%. All other effects are the same.
Outside of battle
Outside of battle, Flash will illuminate dark caves. The effect will last until the player exits the cave. When the player re-enters the cave, it will be dark again.
Caves in which Flash is usable
In the anime
In the manga
- Flash is used to open the Ancient Tomb, Registeel's cave, in Pokémon Emerald.
- Flash is the first move so far that has been converted from an HM into a TM. It has never been absolutely required to advance gameplay (as darkened caves are still navigable without the move), while the only dark caves that must be passed through to continue the storyline occur during the Kanto and Hoenn stories, during Generation I and Generation III.
- When using Flash in dark caves in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire as well as Pokémon Emerald, it will not light up the entire room.
- As Flash is not completely required, it is similar to Defog, which replaced it in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. The most notable difference is that, while both foggy areas and dark caves can be more difficult to navigate, a dark area has no affect on the battles that take place there, whilst fog does have an effect during battle.
- In Hiun City, the TM for Flash is obtained from a man in a trenchcoat, hidden behind a dumpster. This seems to be a subtle allusion to "flashing", a usually covert act of indecent exposure.
In other languages
- Dutch: Flits
- French: Flash
- German: Blitz
- Greek: Έκλαμψη
- Hindi: Roshni
- Italian: Flash
- Spanish: Destello
Template:Project MoveDex notice