From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Got Miltank?
Mother Miltank! The Desert's Secret!
|| July 19, 2001
| United States
|| August 31, 2002
|| Team Ota
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 福本潔 Kiyoshi Fukumoto
| Assistant director
|| 秦義人 Yoshito Hata
| Animation director
|| 谷口淳一郎 Jun'ichirō Taniguchi
| Additional credits
Got Miltank? (Japanese: せいぼミルタンク！さばくのひみつ！ Mother Miltank! The Desert's Secret!), is the 207th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 19, 2001 and in the United States on August 31, 2002.
The way to Olivine City and Ash's next Gym challenge lies across a desert of sand and rock. Just as Ash and his friends start to cross it, Team Rocket ambushes them and scoops up Pikachu. Cyndaquil is injured in the battle with Team Rocket, which ends when it uses Flamethrower on Weezing's Smokescreen and triggers an explosion that frees Pikachu but knocks Cyndaquil into the depths of the desert. However, local tales say that sick or injured Pokémon that enter the desert will return to their Trainers in great shape, almost as if the desert contains a hidden oasis.
Cyndaquil tries to find its way back, but when it collapses with weariness, other Pokémon come carry it away. After Team Rocket crash lands in the desert, Meowth is spirited away by other Pokémon too! Both injured Pokémon are whisked off to an oasis inside a hollowed-out mountain, where a Miltank heals them both. Team Rocket follows Meowth to the mountain, but they're turned away by a group of Exeggutor guards. Ash and his friends also find their way to the mountain, but use Brock's Onix to burrow past the guards.
Once they get inside, the Pokémon in the oasis spring to its defense. As Meowth explains, this is no place for people—these Pokémon want to be left alone! Team Rocket drops in with their balloon and order Meowth to help steal the Pokémon, but Meowth refuses to battle. Team Rocket's other Pokémon refuse to attack, too! Undeterred, Team Rocket grabs Miltank and overpowers Meowth, but they're soundly beaten by Cyndaquil. Now that Miltank and the other oasis Pokémon realize Ash means no harm, he can reunite with Cyndaquil and peacefully continue on his way.
While traveling to Olivine City, Ash and his friends stare upon a large desert. They start to go when Ash suddenly gets caught in a hole, with Pikachu getting caught by a net, both set by Team Rocket. As they say their motto, Misty and Brock help Ash out. Ash calls out his Cyndaquil to make short work of this. James sends Weezing and Cyndaquil clings on it, about to use Flamethrower up close. Weezing shakes Cyndaquil off and Cyndaquil lands on the ground headfirst. When it gets up, a swelling grows on its nose, making it a bit weak. Team Rocket pokes fun at Cyndaquil for a while and then James tells Weezing to use Sludge, but Ash blocks the attack. Ash tells Cyndaquil to use Flamethrower again, and after feeling somewhat self-conscious, it does so. However, Weezing uses Smokescreen at the same time, causing a massive explosion that sends Team Rocket and Cyndaquil blasting off. Afterwards, Ash tries to look for Cyndaquil without success. Brock suggests they go to the local Pokémon Center for clues.
Cyndaquil wakes up and finds that it is lost. A Sentret spies on it and calls out, while a Butterfree and Sandshrew start to spy on Cyndaquil as well. Soon, Cyndaquil collapses and then the Butterfree hovers above it. A Dugtrio soon picks Cyndaquil up and starts to carry him off somewhere. Meanwhile, at the Pokémon Center, Nurse Joy tells the gang that there is a legend about a sanctuary for Pokémon in the desert, where Cyndaquil might be. The group heads out, but Joy fails to mention the sanctuary's exact location.
Team Rocket starts to complain about the mess they are in until they see Cyndaquil being carried off. They want to get it, but Jessie and James don't want to go, so they just throw Meowth down. Meowth lands on his face and gets his nose hurt too, causing another Dugtrio to carry him off with Cyndaquil. Jessie and James try to get out of the balloon and end up falling down. They follow the two Dugtrio.
Ash seems to find nothing much out in the desert, but Pikachu spots a couple of Quagsire up upon a hill. The Pokémon start to walk away from them calmly and the gang takes a hunch and follows them.
Jessie and James see that Cyndaquil and Meowth have been taken into a mesa, with a wall of Exeggutor in front of the entrance. The two Pokémon are passed onto an Exeggutor and they are carried into an oasis inside the mesa. The two Pokémon stare around for a while, seeing that other Pokémon are running around enjoying this place. The Exeggutor calls out and a Miltank comes out of a hole in a tree. The Miltank walks up to them, greets them and proceeds to her work. She places a hoof on Cyndaquil's swollen nose and her tail starts to glow along with her hoof and then Cyndaquil, the swell gone in an instant. She then does the same to Meowth and his nose injury goes away as well. Seeing that they aren't coming out, Jessie and James make a run for it to the entrance, but the Exeggutor use Hypnosis and lead them out far away.
The gang finds the mesa and see Jessie and James, but they just walk by. Brock takes a notice of the Exeggutor in the distance, a direct approach won't work. Brock uses Onix and they dig underground to the mesa. Elsewhere, Jessie and James suddenly slam into a stone monolithic object and snap out of it. Seeing that they are back to their balloon. They soon get angry now that they are in the middle of nowhere, but James suggest they go for a little ride over there.
The gang makes it to a tunnel with a river, and Brock points out they should follow the light. They reach the sanctuary; Ash finds Cyndaquil and calls out to him. However, the Pokémon within the mesa get angry and groups of Beedrill, Pidgeotto and Krabby surround them. Ash decides the only way is to jump and he does so, followed by Pikachu. They get to the surface, but the Pokémon in the sanctuary won't let Cyndaquil go to Ash and vice-versa. Team Rocket suddenly arrives and decides to take the Pokémon in the sanctuary. They send out their Pokémon, but Meowth stops them, saying that he doesn't want any harm to come to Miltank. This makes all of Team Rocket's Pokémon stop and disobey Jessie and James. Finding this useless, Jessie and James call them back and decide to take Miltank by force. James shoots out a net and captures Miltank, but Meowth grabs onto the net and climbs. Jessie and James restrain Meowth before he could do anything. Ash tells Cyndaquil to use Flamethrower and it does so, only cutting the rope that held the net. Ash quickly sends out Bayleef to use Razor Leaf to cut the net so Miltank can get out, Miltank landing safely in the water. Ash finishes the Team by a jolt of Thunderbolt by Pikachu, which sends them flying sky-high.
Ash is glad to see Cyndaquil again and that it is feeling much better. The Pokémon in the sanctuary come to respect Ash and his friends when they promise to not tell anyone else about the sanctuary. They head out towards Olivine City saying their goodbyes.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Cyndaquil (US and international), Miltank (Japan)
- This episode's dub title is a reference to the famous advertising slogan, "Got Milk?"
- When battling Team Rocket, Ash's Cyndaquil hits the ground hard and ends up with a big red bump on its nose and Meowth teases it by saying "Look, it's Cyndaquil the red-nosed Pokémon!" Jessie is then shown with a red nose over her actual nose, making a reference to the classic Christmas movie "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer".
- Although Who's That Pokémon used random Pokémon for the English dub at this point, Ash's Cyndaquil played a significantly major role in this episode.
- The scenes where Meowth acknowledges that he did hurt his nose, is a direct contradiction to Pokémon Scent-sation! where he points out while breaking the fourth wall, that he never had a nose. This will also occur again later.
- When Victreebel comes out of its Poké Ball, its "lips" are colored brown instead of red.
- In one scene, the black outlines around the red/yellow "eyes" in Arbok's pattern are missing.
- When Jessie steals Pikachu in the opening scene and jump into their balloon, the net they used to capture Pikachu is behind the pole but when the scene changes it appears in front of them.
Arbok's black outlines are missing
- There are about 45 seconds of this episode which were removed from the English dub. The scene where Meowth talks to Miltank about how Pokémon come to the oasis for healing was heavily cut. In the original Japanese version, Meowth speaks to Miltank about the aforementioned details. Then, Meowth and Ash's Cyndaquil start to suck on Miltank’s udder for nourishment. All references and shots of Meowth and Cyndaquil sucking on Miltank's udder were cut from the English dub, although when Ash enters the cave, Brock refers to the use of Milk Drink, and a teat can be seen in Cyndaquil's mouth for about a second.
In other languages