From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Memories are Made of Bliss!
Memories are Pearls! Friendship is a Diamond!!
|| September 9, 2010
| United States
|| February 5, 2011
|| Team Kato
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Memories are Made of Bliss! (Japanese: 想い出はパール！友情はダイヤモンド！！ Memories are Pearls! Friendship is a Diamond!!) is the 191st and final episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 657th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on September 9, 2010 and in the United States on February 5, 2011.
Early in the morning, the sun shines down on Twinleaf Town. In Dawn's bedroom, the Starly clock starts to go off at 7am when Dawn, still half-asleep, shuts it off. Piplup, lying at the end of the bed, decides to take matters into his own hands and wakes her up by using his Peck attack on her as she throws Piplup back on the sofa cushion. She realizes it's already morning as she opens her window mirroring the event from the very first episode. She comes downstairs greeting her mother, Brock and Pikachu as she asks where Ash is. They tell her that he's still asleep as Dawn, Piplup and Pikachu head towards his room. They peek through the open door seeing how Ash is still in a deep sleep. Pikachu takes a page out of Piplup's book and uses Thunderbolt to wake Ash. Dawn comments and says that breakfast is ready on which Ash reacts with an immediate jump out of his bed grabbing Pikachu, but eventually ends up falling down the stairs in his hurry.
Later at the table over breakfast, the gang begin to discuss the future getting Piplup's attention. Ash admits he hasn't decided which league to challenge next, and that upon returning home he plans to spend some time with his Pokémon to thank them for their hard work during the Lily of the Valley Conference and invites Dawn to travel with him and Brock back to Kanto later that day, but Johanna tells Dawn that Hermione, who was one of the judges at the Hearthome Collection, has contacted her wishing to meet with her regarding Buneary. Brock starts to fantasize about Paris when Croagunk naturally decides to snap him out of it with a trusty Poison Jab. It dawns to Piplup that the trio is going to split up.
Meanwhile, Jessie, James and Meowth are walking miserably along Route 202 remarking on their complete failure to make any kind of progress during their time in Sinnoh. Suddenly, a familiar shape is spotted flying towards them... Delibird! Everyone wonders what it has for them in its sack this time. However, this time there are no packages or Poké Balls but instead orders to contact Team Rocket Headquarters. After Delibird leaves, the trio contact Headquarters and speak to a secretary who informs them that she sent Delibird and informs them that the three have been specially selected by Giovanni himself for an important mission. As a result, the three are ordered to return to headquarters immediately! Naturally Jessie, James and Meowth are overjoyed in Giovanni's new-found faith in them and believe its thanks to their efforts in helping to collapse Team Galactic and their victories over Pokémon Hunter J.
At Team Rocket Headquarters, Giovanni himself looks over the trio's personnel files as his secretary reports that they're perfect for the job...
Back in Twinleaf, Dawn announces that Buneary has been chosen to become a model for Poké Stylist Magazine, to which Ash and Brock congratulate Buneary. As a result, Dawn is forced to turn down the offer to accompany Ash and Brock to Kanto as she'll be staying in Sinnoh for the foreseeable future. Piplup begins to get upset when he realizes that everyone is splitting up and the Penguin Pokémon attacks everyone with Whirlpool drenching them before running off. Knowing they need to catch up before he gets too far, Dawn recalls Buneary into her Poké Ball as she and Ash send out Togekiss and Staraptor to give chase, with Pikachu riding on Staraptor while the others follow on foot.
Eventually Pikachu, Staraptor and Togekiss catch up with Piplup, and Togekiss speeds ahead to cut Piplup off. Pikachu and Staraptor approach, but when they get in close Piplup tries to attack them with Hydro Pump but luckily misses. Pikachu jumps to the ground and follows Piplup on foot but Piplup tries to run away again and bumps into Togekiss. Seeing Togekiss' kind and smiling face finally makes Piplup start crying. Pikachu sends Staraptor back to Ash and approaches a distraught Piplup who starts hitting him and crying in despair. This makes Pikachu realize how much he's going to miss Piplup and also starts to cry. Togekiss hugs them both comforting them when they suddenly notice Meowth crying too... but naturally they're fake tears as he catches the three of them in a net. Soon the balloon starts to carry them away, with Jessie and James planning to hand the three over as a thank-you present to Giovanni. Luckily, Ash and his friends find them as he orders Staraptor to use Brave Bird, destroying the balloon and Torterra to use Leaf Storm which frees the Pokémon from the net. Free once again, Ash, Dawn and Brock engage together into a battle against the Team Rocket trio. Togekiss goes up against Carnivine and defeats it with a well-aimed Air Slash, Yanmega is defeated thanks to Staraptor's Aerial Ace and Seviper doesn't last long against Torterra's Energy Ball. Even Meowth tries to get in on the action with his Fury Swipes but Brock calls on Sudowoodo who sends Meowth flying back with a powerful Hammer Arm. The battle ends with a powerful combination of Piplup's Hydro Pump and Pikachu's Volt Tackle blasting off Team Rocket who despite the failure are still happy... because they're still getting promoted.
Pikachu and Piplup celebrate the defeat of Team Rocket with a high-five and a laugh, when Dawn approaches to talk to Piplup about his feelings about everyone's departure. She tells him that she's upset everyone is leaving too, but assures him that just because they're separating doesn't mean they won't see each other again. Piplup begins to get upset again, but Dawn hugs Piplup and holds him close, telling him that there's no need to worry and asks if he's a brave boy. Piplup's pride comes to the fore, and he manages to get himself to stop crying and puts on a brave face as his friends all watch on.
Back at Dawn's house, everyone is watching a championship match on TV between Champion Cynthia and Template:E4 of the Elite Four. Ash watches the match intently, as Cynthia's Garchomp and Flint's Infernape battle to their fullest. Ash imagines himself commanding Infernape, and how amazing it would be for him to challenge the Champion himself. Although the match is hard-fought, Infernape is unable to stand up to Garchomp's Dragon Rush and is defeated, allowing Cynthia to keep her title. Ash nevertheless feels himself energized, and tells everyone that although he may have lost the Sinnoh League he's still going to train and battle and hopefully one day make it to the Champions League, face Cynthia and earn the title of Champion Master. Brock also has an announcement... after all the time he's spent traveling around with Ash and Dawn he has been considering following his own goals, and after the earlier incident on the ferry he has decided to follow Nurse Joy's advice and train to become a Pokémon Doctor upon returning to Kanto. As a result he won't be able to travel as he'll have to remain in Pewter City to study. Dawn is happy to hear this, as she also plans to follow her path to becoming a Top Coordinator and tells everyone that as they've all got amazing goals in front of them there's no need to worry... and Ash, as usual, points out that when Dawn says this it's usually the time to worry the most. Suddenly Johanna tells everyone that it's time to go if Ash and Brock are going to catch the ferry back to Kanto.
At the ferry port, Dawn thanks her friends for helping her as she traveled on her first journey. Ash and Dawn exchange their final high five while Pikachu and Piplup hug and say their goodbyes at last, after which Ash and Brock board the ship sailing towards Kanto. As she looks upon her friends she becomes saddened realizing how they'll be gone, but Ash's words cheer her up as he yells out "No need to worry!" from the ferry. She runs down the dock waving to her close friends and thanking them again for everything once again as Piplup also shouts his goodbyes. Soon they're gone and as the sun sets, Piplup jumps into Dawn's arms and she happily hugs her partner knowing that while their adventures with Ash and Brock are over they still have many more adventures of their own to come.
As the closing credits play, various scenes from the series are shown. We see how Dawn started her journey by choosing a stubborn but loyal Piplup, and despite being nervous and unsure of herself, improved to the point where she came second in her first Grand Festival. We also see how Ash took under his wing a traumatized and rejected Chimchar who, under Ash's loving care and training, was able to unlock its full potential. As for Brock, he continued to flirt with girls and established a bond with a very unusual Croagunk which was usually quite painful for the breeder-turned-Pokémon Doctor...
The next morning, Ash and Brock go up on deck and are awestruck by the sight of Kanto in front of them. Soon, the two are at a very familiar crossroads, and it's time to separate again. Ash wishes Brock luck on his decision to become a Pokémon Doctor, while Brock wishes Ash luck on his dream of becoming a Pokémon Master. The two shake hands knowing the journeys they've taken together have created a strong bond between them. Finally, they separate and depart down their respective roads.
Soon Ash and Pikachu are standing on a hill overlooking their final destination, where their journey together first started... Pallet Town. Ash happily tells Pikachu they're home, and the two run the rest of the way bringing their adventures through Sinnoh to an end.
Next Time - A New Beginning!
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- This is the final episode of the Diamond & Pearl series.
- Similar to the final episodes of the previous two series, the usual To be continued is replaced with Next Time... A New Beginning!. However, unlike the previous two series which ended with Ash leaving Kanto, this series ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town.
- With the exception of James's Mime Jr. (which already made its final appearance in Coming Full Festival Circle!), this episode marks the final appearances of all of the Pokémon Jessie and James have on hand (including Wobbuffet).
- The Japanese title references the name of the series, as well as the games on which the series is based.
- In the original Japanese dub, the credits play before the series ends with a scene between Ash and Brock and a scene of Ash and Pikachu alone. It features scenes of various events throughout the series.
- This is the only final episode of a region not to feature a Pokémon from the next generation; in this case, no Generation V Pokémon appeared.
- This episode features Oración from The Rise of Darkrai, Together2007, music from Giratina and the Sky Warrior, music from Arceus and the Jewel of Life, Tears, After the Cloudy Weather, an instrumental version of In Your Heart, LaLaLa, and an instrumental version of Friends' Anniversary from Pikachu and Pichu.
- An instrumental of the ending song In Your Heart, LaLaLa was used as the music for the sponsors at the end of the episode instead of an instrumental of High Touch!, which had been used even when the opening was changed to The Greatest - Everyday! in January 2010.
- As of the latest Japanese episode, this is the last time Team Rocket has blasted off.
- The dub title of this episode is a pun on the song, Memories Are Made of This.
- The dubbed version aired two days after the Diamond & Pearl specials featuring Dawn and Brock aired in Japan.
- Giovanni's secretary, Matori is shown having the new Team Rocket uniform style.
- When Jessie, James, and Meowth are hugging each other and crying tears of joy, Jessie is missing the glove on her right hand.
- J's Salamence's chin is miscolored green in Team Rocket's fantasy.
- When Ash and Dawn called their Pokémon out, their hair was wet. After Pikachu jumped in, their hair was dry.
- While Ash and Brock say their goodbyes, the right side of Ash's hair is pulled back as he is speaking to Brock.
- After Ash and Dawn call out their Pokémon in search of Piplup, Buneary's eyebrows were white instead of yellow.
- When Ash, Brock and Dawn are at the ferry saying their goodbye's, the same two people run past them multiple times.
In other languages
| Mandarin Chinese
|| Goede Herinneringen voor Altijd!
|| Suloiset muistot kestävät!
|| Der Abschied
|| Wspomnienia utkane są ze szczęścia!
|| Latin America
|| ¡Los recuerdos se hacen de felicidad!
|| ¡Los recuerdos están hechos de felicidad!
|| Minnen skapas av lycksalighet!