From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Playing the Performance Encore!
Double Battle! VS Prasle & Minun!!
|| February 4, 2010
| United States
|| July 3, 2010
|| OLM/OLM Digital
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
Playing the Performance Encore! (Japanese: ダブルバトル！ＶＳプラスル・マイナン！！ Double Battle! VS Prasle & Minun!!) is the 162nd episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 628th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on February 4, 2010 and in the United States on July 3, 2010.
|| This article does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this article to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
Dawn and Ursula have made it past the first round and must now face each other in battle. But, Ursula has a secret plan for Plusle and Minun. Will Dawn be able to defeat Ursula and win her fifth and final ribbon?
The episode starts with Jessie using Seviper and Yanmega against Ursula using Plusle and Minun. Jessilina commands Seviper to use haze and Yanmega to use Sonicboom. It creates a beautiful spinning move, taking a few points off of Ursula's score. Plusle and Minun use a combined spark to break it into a dazzling shower of sparkles, deductig even more points from Jessilina's score. Yanmega lifts Seviper into the air. Plusle and Minun use helping hand to power up. Yanmega uses Silverwind, and Seviper charges a Poisontail. The Silverwind hits Seviper's tail, sending a twirl of poison beams at the cheering Pokémon, deducting their points. To counter they use a combined spark attack, powered my helping hand, creating a explosion followed by a shower of blue and green sparkles, leaving them vulnerable. Seviper is released, while Plusle and Minun twirl into a tumbleweed-like formation using spark, then at the last second, they slit, Plusle lunging towards Seviper, while Minun is launched in the air towards Yanmega. Two great balls of light appear with a popping sound. Both of Jessilina's Pokémon fall, unable to battle, winning Ursula the match.
Then the episode shows many Pokémon battling and goes to partway through the battle between Dawn with Mamoswine and Cyndaquil against an unnamed coordinator with a Mightyena and a Houndoom. Cyndaquil uses Flame Wheel and Mamoswine uses Ice Shard pulling off the first stage of flame ice. But halfway through, the ice melts, shocking Dawn ad Momoswine. Cyndaquil collides wth the two dark dgs, creating a fire explosion. The screen shows the points, meaning that Dawn will move on. Dawn, however, is disappointed that it didn't work. She is then shown practicing Flame Ice. Once again, however, the ice melts too early. Ash tries to comfort her and tell her that it looked great. Brock suggests that she try a more reliable move. Ursula, hiding behind a door, grins smugly, then walks away. Dawn is shown winning a match, then Ursula, putting them in the finals together. In the hair dressing room, they argue, Ursula pulling the Dee-Dee card twice. Piplup looks from side to side as they argue. Ursula leaves, then Dawn says to Piplup, "I should calm down. No need to worry."
Dawn sends out Mamoswine and Cyndaquil, the ball capsule creating a torrent of lightning bolts, then Cyndaquil falls playfully on Mamoswine's tusks, then landing in front of it, blasting fire beautifully. Then Ursula sends out Plusle and Minun, surrounded by petals created by the ball capsules. At first, no one could see them, but then the pedals scattered, revealing the cheering Pokémon. When they landed, they touched their tales together, creating sparks everywhere. Johanna and her Glameow are then seen watching TV. Johanna says, "Of all the Pokémon Dawn could face, it had to be those two in the finals," referring to the Diamond-Dandruff incident. Dawn commands ice shard, striking ice shard a crimson. Mamoswine then eats the ice shard, like Grotle did once. Cyndaquil uses Swift to surround Mamoswine, then lands on and ice spike, blasting fire. They then charge then Mamoswine uses Take Down. Plusle and Minun jump up, dodging, Dawn losing some points. They then use Encore, losing Dawn some points. Mamoswine and Cyndaquil then glow a dulled color.
Dawn commands Mamoswine to use hidden power and Cyndaquil to use Falme wheel, but instead they use Take Down and Swift, shocking the three. Ursula explains that Encore did that. Plusle and Minun use Helping Hand and then Charge Beam, hitting them, taking away points. Jessie becae "officially impressed." Then the cheering Pokémon use spark, deducting more points. They try to dodge, but go back to their regular attacks. Both sparks make contact. They then repeat it, making Dawn lose more points. Dawn, Mamoswine, and Cyndaquil's hair light up. Dawn becomes very scared of everyone seeing her like that, when Mamoswine and Cyndaquil look up at her, their hair dying down. She then realizes that they can still move.
She stands up and straightens her hair. Dawn commands, to everyone's shock, for Cyndaquil and Mamoswine to attack each other. She says to trust her, but she loses more points. But then, the Encore wears off, because of their spirit. However, there were only 30 seconds left. Plusle and Minun use Charge Beam, and they dodge by jumping in the air. Then, Dawn pull off Flame Ice perfectly, deducting points from Ursula. Cyndaquil shoots fire, launching itself foreward, managing to seperate the inseperable Pokémon. They get back together and use spark, and Cyndaquil uses smokescreen, breking their combination. Mamoswine uses Hidden Power on nocking it backward, while Cyndaquil uses Swift on Minun. The cheering Pokémon charge up for a double Spark, but just then, time runs out. Dawn then wins the Daybreak contest. Dawn receives the Daybreak ribbon, qualifying her for the Grand Festival.
- Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture: Unown
- This episode marks the first time that the main Coordinator of the anime won her fifth ribbon in a contest that isn't the final contest before the Grand Festival.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a Togetic in the anime other than the one that belonged to Misty.
- This episode is similar to Another One Gabites the Dust!, where:
- Dawn, Ursula, and Jessie were the main coordinators.
- Ursula beats Jessie prior to battling Dawn in the finals.
- Dawn defeats Ursula just before time runs out.
- Music from Spell of the Unown, Pokémon Heroes, Destiny Deoxys, Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and The Rise of Darkrai are played in this episode. By Your Side ~Hikari's Theme~ was also used as background music as the battle between Dawn and Ursula was about to end.
- This episode first aired in both Japan and the United States only a week shy of a year since the episode in which Dawn obtained her last ribbon and in which Ursula herself debuted.
- This episode marks Cyndaquil's first Contest, and, coincidentally, it aired in Japan in the same week that An Egg Scramble!, the episode when Cyndaquil was obtained, aired in America.
- While Dawn is watching Ursula's battle against Jessilina, a male coordinator next to her wears the same clothing that Giovanni is seen wearing in the anime: An orange tuxedo and a light tan shirt under. The only difference is that the coordinator is wearing a differently colored tie.
- Togetic was hit by Shadow Ball despite being a Normal-type.
- Mamoswine was hit by Spark and Charge Beam despite being a Ground-type.
- Ursula says she was glad to see Diamond Dandruff in person, however she had already seen it when showing Dawn part of Plusle and Minun's performance.
- This may be because she hadn't heard the diamond dandruff story, or because she was simply rubbing it in Dawn's face.