From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Staging a Heroes' Welcome!
Everyone's A Rival! Mikuri Cup!!
|| May 8, 2008
| United States
|| September 20, 2008
|| Team Iguchi
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 日高政光 Masamitsu Hidaka
| Assistant director
|| 古賀一臣 Kazuomi Koga
| Animation director
|| 田口広一 Kōichi Taguchi
| Additional credits
Staging a Heroes' Welcome! (Japanese: みんなライバル！ミクリカップ！！ Everyone's A Rival! Mikuri Cup!!) is the 77th episode of Diamond & Pearl series, and the 543rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on May 8, 2008 alongside Pruning a Passel of Pals! as part of a one-hour special, and in the United States on September 20, 2008.
The day of the Wallace Cup has arrived and everyone is getting excited. Before the contest has started, May noticed Brock being taken away by Croagunk, making a note he's taken over Max's job. Dawn is really nervous now about the contest. The gang reunite with Zoey who is entering. The contest is about to start, while Dawn is messing up her hair again. May fixes it up, and Zoey says Dawn was like this during her debut, meaning she is extra nervous. Jessilina is also entering, still thinking that James and Meowth helped her win the Solaceon Contest. May uses Wartortle during the prelimimary round, showing that her Squirtle has evolved. Zoey reveals she captured a Finneon who does a fantastic performance. Jessilina uses Wobbuffet, and James along with Meowth thinks about the performance. Ash's act with Buizel is amazing, while Paul seeing the act says "What the heck is he doing?". By now, Dawn is really extra nervous that she is not going to make it, but Piplup snaps her out of it. She may have didn't send out Ambipom on her first try, but the act was stunning, soaking James and Meowth in the progress. The results was announced, with Dawn relieved now because everyone except Jessilina made it to the second round. And now, this is where the real action begins!
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
TV episode debuts
|| The picture used in this section is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Too bad quality.
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
- Both May and Dawn had most of their rivals appear in the episode either in cameos or throughout the course of the episode: Drew, Solidad, and Harley for May; and Zoey and Kenny for Dawn. It should be noted that Ash's rival, Paul, also had a brief appearance. Nando was the only one of Dawn's or Ash's main rivals not to appear.
- Two girls near the beginning of the episode look like Sakura Kinomoto and Tomoyo Daidōji from Cardcaptor Sakura. This is most likely a joke on how their hats resemble the one Wallace wears.
- The two children running wearing Lucario and Weavile masks may be a reference to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
- Instead of Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture, the end of the episode featured a memorial to Spell of the Unown. This is part of a countdown to Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
- This is the second time in a row that Ambipom's Poké Ball almost slips out of Dawn's hand in a contest due to her embarrassment.
- This episode marks one of the extremely rare occasions that Jessie actually sends out her Wobbuffet as opposed to it popping out of its Poké Ball.
- One of the Coordinators that made it to the second round looks very similar to Cherry, a character in another episode.
- When Croagunk drags Brock away from the woman selling crepes, May's gloves disappear.
In other languages