From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| The picture used in this article is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: text in bottom left corner
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
The Curse of Ninetales is a 1000 year old legend told by Whiscash in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. According to this legend, a greedy Trainer once entered a sacred dungeon, known to contain many rare Pokémon. The trainer encountered a Ninetales, and crudely grabbed one of its tails. This was meant to give the trainer a curse. However, his Gardevoir took the curse, doing its duty as a Gardevoir by protecting its master. This startled the Ninetales. The trainer, horrified, fled the scene in fear of the curse. Ninetales told Gardevoir that the trainer would one day become a Pokémon. This would bring on many natural disasters.
- There once lived a Pokémon by the name of Ninetales.
- Now, Ninetales had many tails, all of them imbued with psychic power...
- It was said that anyone so foolish as to touch a tail would be cursed for a thousand years.
- But there was someone so foolish as to grab a tail. And it was a human.
- As one might expect, the human that grabbed the tail was subjected to a thousand-year curse.
- However, just as the curse was cast, a Pokémon named Gardevoir shielded the human...
- And sacrificed herself to absorb the curse.
- Taking pity on Gardevoir, Ninetales asked the human this...
- "Do you wish to save Gardevoir?" It asked...
- But the human had already abandoned Gardevoir and fled.
- Ninetales became disillusioned with the human...
- And it made this prediction...
- "That human will one day be reborn as a Pokémon..."
- "And when the human becomes a Pokémon..."
- "The world's balance will be upset..."
Gengar, eavesdropping on the player's conversation with Xatu, told the public that the player was that trainer, and they were causing the natural disasters. The public was shocked, and chased the player and their companion out of town. However, Ninetales then told that the player (and Team A.C.T.) was definitely NOT the cursed trainer. Gengar was exposed as a liar, and was then chased out of town himself.
In the epilogue, it is revealed that Gengar is the greedy trainer of the legend.