|| The picture used in this article is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Should be replaced with ORAS image.
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
| Cave of Origin
Shrine of Awakening
| "Wild Missingno. appeared!"
| Map description:
|| A long-sleeping Pokémon will descend upon this cavern in order to awaken its true powers.
|| Sootopolis City
|| III, VI
Location of Cave of Origin in Hoenn.
|Pokémon world locations
The Cave of Origin (Japanese: 目覚めのほこら Shrine of Awakening) is a cave near the north end of Sootopolis City. It is guarded by Wallace of Sootopolis Gym and is said to be the cave where life begins. Its opposite landmark is Mt. Pyre, said to be the place where life ends.
Here, the player will discover GroudonROR or KyogreSAS in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire after an encounter at the Seafloor Cavern and a face-off against Team MagmaROR or Team AquaSAS.
Residents of Sootopolis are not permitted to enter the Cave of Origin.
In Pokémon Emerald, the Cave of Origin is where Wallace can be found debating where Rayquaza is located, until the player gives him a hint that it is at the Sky Pillar. However the player cannot enter the cave after awakening Rayquaza.
|| X Attack
|| 1F, northeast of the south exit (hidden)
|| OR AS
|| B1F, south of the northern stairwell (hidden)
|| OR AS
|| HM07 (Waterfall)
|| B3F, near the northwest corner
|| R S
In the anime
The Cave of Origin was mentioned in A Three Team Scheme!. A group of Team Magma members led by Tabitha and a group of Team Aqua members led by Shelly initially mistook a set of ruins on Dewford Island for the Cave of Origin, but when they failed to find what they were looking for from the ruins, they understood their mistake and left.
- In Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the player can reenter the cave after capturing or defeating Groudon/Kyogre. In Pokémon Emerald, the entrance is blocked for the rest of the game after awakening Rayquaza in Sky Pillar.
- In Ruby and Sapphire, the cave is dark but can be illuminated by Flash. In other games, the cave is normally lit.
- Although the Cave of Origin was reduced in size for Pokémon Emerald, data for the removed floors still exists in the game's code.
- In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, certain Pokémon are said to be found in the Cave of Origin. These include Pineco, Miltank, and Shuckle. The guide likely meant to say Altering Cave, which can be found in FireRed and LeafGreen, but these Pokémon can only be found there with an event distribution that was never distributed.
- In the Generation III games, no background music plays on the bottom floor of this cave. In Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, this is the only area in the game with this distinction. (In Pokémon Emerald, Birth Island also has no background music.)
- As a result, if a Pokémon evolves or an Egg hatches here in these games, the evolution background music will play on the floor until the player leaves.
- In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the player's PokéNav Plus will be unusable in the bottom floor due to electrical interference from the intense natural energy in the room.
In other languages