From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Candice (Japanese: スズナ Suzuna) is the Gym Leader of Snowpoint City's Gym, known officially as the Snowpoint Gym. She hands out the Icicle Badge to Trainers who defeat her. She specializes in Template:Type2 Pokémon.
In the anime
Candice made her debut appearance in DP126. She is a teacher in Snowpoint City's Trainers' School and a childhood friend of Zoey's. Like in the games, Candice is funny and overactive. She also revealed how Zoey caught her Glameow.
Ash battled her in DP127, where he defeated her and earned the Icicle Badge.
This listing is of Candice's known Pokémon in the anime:
In the games
Candice uses Template:Type2 Pokémon in her battles. Trainers who defeat her will receive the Icicle Badge, TM72 (Avalanche), and will be able to use Rock Climb outside of battle. Candice teaches that before battling with Pokémon, a person needs to befriend them first. Candice has an interest in fashion and romance as well as Pokémon, and believes a person should put all their focus into whatever they do. She sometimes muses that she acts the opposite of the way people would expect a Ice-type Gym Leader to behave - warm and friendly instead of cold and distant.
She later allows the player entry into the Snowpoint Temple, and, in Platinum, will appear occasionally for rematches at the Battleground.
In Platinum, Maylene mentions in Snowpoint's Pokémon Center that she admires Candice for being studious. She also mentions that Candice wanted to practice against her to learn about the Fighting-type due to it being a weakness of Ice-type Pokémon.
"You want to challenge Candice? Sure thing! I was waiting for someone tough! But I should tell you, I'm tough because I know how to focus. Pokémon, fashion, romance... It's all about focus! I'll show you just what I mean. Get ready to lose!"
When sending out last Pokémon
"I'm going to break the ice and bring out my last-resort Pokémon!"
"I can sense your will to win, but I promise you I'm not about to lose!"
"I must say, I've warmed up to you! I might even admire you a little."
After being defeated
"Wow! you are great! You've earned my respect! I think your focus and will bowled us over totally. Oh, that's right! I'm supposed to give you this!"
When player attempts to access Snowpoint Temple
"It's OK! You can let that person in. Cynthia sent word to me. You're working on a Pokédex, aren't you? There should be many rare Pokémon in the temple. Enjoy your exploring!"
In the manga
She appeared in Route 217 saving Platinum when she fell from her skis after striking with a Graveler.
- Candice used these Pokémon to awaken Regigigas, which Hareta later captured.
- Even though Candice lives in the snowy north of Sinnoh, the only protection she seemingly has from the weather is the sweater tied around her waist and her long socks.
- Candice is the only Ice-type specialist that doesn't use a Template:Type2 Pokémon.
- In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Candice is the only Gym Leader to use two Pokémon within the same evolutionary line on her team (Snover and Abomasnow).
- All of Candice's Diamond and Pearl team are Pokémon that have gender differences; this would also be true for her Platinum team, however, as Froslass is a female-only Pokémon, it cannot have gender differences.
- The highest-leveled Pokémon in Candice's team differs between every battle.
- Her Italian name is the same as the English name of a character from Pokémon Heroes.
- Candice is the only female Gym Leader whose gym design was not changed in Platinum. The snowball positions were changed slightly, however.
||One of the Japanese names for turnip. Possibly a reference to 涼しい suzushii ("cool").
||From the Latin "candita", meaning "clarity; whiteness". Contains ice.
||From glace, ice.
||From frieren, get cold.
||Literally means white.
||From invierno, winter.