In the anime
Three episodes have featured baseball as a major theme:
- The introduction of Casey in The Double Trouble Header contained many baseball references. Aside from the title itself, Team Rocket had a baseball-themed motto and the final confrontation took place on a baseball field.
- In A Date with Delcatty, Georgio wanted to go on a date with Misty to the Starmie-Electabuzz game.
- Casey managed to help her team in Those Darn Electabuzz! by helping their star pitcher regain his confidence.
Other episodes with Casey have had a more minor mention of baseball, usually through her singing the Electabuzz song.
A baseball player was also featured in Clefairy Tales, claiming that he cannot hit a home run since his lucky bat was stolen, though he later gained it back at the end of the episode.
Brock used baseball as a theme when he competed in the Gardenia Town Pokémon Contest in What I Did for Love!. During the Performance Stage, he pitched baseballs to his Bonsly, who caught and juggled them. His performance impressed the judges enough for them to secure him a place in the Battle Stage.
In the Alola region, Pokémon Base (Japanese: ポケベース Pokébase) is a popular recreation which consists of humans and Pokémon playing a baseball game together. It was introduced in Pulling Out the Pokémon Base Pepper!, in which Ash, his classmates, and Team Rocket competed in a friendly match at the Pokémon School. Oluolu is said to be a very famous player.
To include the spirit of Pokémon, the teams are all named after a particular species:
- The Electabuzz: Casey's favorite team. Their star pitcher is Corey Demario.
- The Starmies: The biggest rivals of The Electabuzz. Their stadium is in Cerulean City.
- The Magikarps: Despite their name, Ash claims that they are a more successful team than The Electabuzz.
In the games
In Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, Nimbasa City's Big Stadium has a baseball field inside of it on every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. There is also the Infielder Trainer class, who are baseball players, and can be battled on Big Stadium whenever the baseball field is present.
- The inclusion of baseball in Pokémon is likely due to its high popularity in Japan. During the baseball season, it is common for there to be weeks where no new episodes of Pokémon air due to TV Tokyo choosing to broadcast the game instead.
In other languages
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|