From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Base Set (in Japanese simply referred to as: Pocket Monsters Trading Card Game) is the name given to the original core release of cards and Theme Decks for the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Both the English and Japanese sets contain 102 cards (the only set so far with the same number in each country)
It is notable that there is no expansion symbol on Base Set cards.
- 1st English release
- 1st Japanese release
- Spring 1997 - Japanese Set
- 9th January 1999 - American Set
- Although the set was officially released in America on 9th January 1999, it was perceived as rather childish and many card shops were reluctant to stock the Pokémon TCG initially. As a result, many card shops didn't release it until March or April.
- The first edition print run sold extremely quickly, making the Base Set first edition cards some of the most sought after of the early TCG expansions.
- The Japanese were rather unconventional when it came to ordering the card sets in early expansions, as well as their promotional cards. It wasn’t until the American and European system came into full fruition that the Japanese style switched to a more legible format. In the Card List (below), numbers have been replaced by "--" to represent it.
- This set has been out of print in the for quite some time, replaced by Template:C