From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
A real-world dog featured in a magazine scan
Real-world animals have been mentioned more than once to exist in the world of Pokémon. Most often, they are mentioned in relation to a Pokémon species. For example, Pikachu is known as the "Mouse Pokémon" hinting that real-world mice exist in the Pokémon world. Other than this, all other mentions of animals are rare.
In the games
A few Pokédex entries have mentioned the existence of real-world animals.
In the anime
Animals have been seen in the anime. They were more common in the original series as there weren't as many Pokémon species back then. A promotional ad for the Pokémon anime once featured a dog walking past Ash and his friends. Also, at some points during the course of some episodes, viewers can hear the sounds of birds.
Animal appearances have become less frequent as more and more Pokémon were added to take their places.
- Pidgeotto is seen eating a regular worm before being captured by Ash.
- As a pun on Caterpie, Ash is seen in a cow costume.
- Fish can be seen in the fish tanks inside the gym. They have made later appearances featuring the Cerulean Gym.
- Misty mentions that A.J.'s ability to control Pokémon with a whip was similar to a lion tamer.
- More fish can be seen swimming in the ocean near the sunken St. Anne.
- Fish can be seen in the aquarium in Nastina's vision of her completed luxury hotel.
- A Gastly created an illusion of a mongoose in order to scare Jessie's Ekans.
- In one scene, James is holding a lobster.
- In the Japanese version, Gary finds an ammonite Fossil. (but this may have been an Omanyte fossil)
- While Ash and his friends are looking for a hotel to stay in, a picture of a tiger can be seen in one of the hotels.
- While Meowth was looking for food, he came across some fish bones.
- When one of Misty's catches escapes from her fishing line, Ash says that it was probably a catfish. Though, it was actually Meowth.
- Coral was seen a few times.
In the manga
Animals have also been seen in the manga.