From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| May's Egg-Cellent Adventure
Breeding House Practitioner and the Pokémon Egg!
|| November 3, 2005
| United States
|| September 23, 2006
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| No additional credits are available at this time.
May's Egg-Cellent Adventure (Japanese: そだて屋さんとポケモンのタマゴ! Breeding House Practitioner and the Pokémon Egg!) is the 150th episode of the Advanced Generation series, and the 424th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on November 3, 2005 and in the United States on September 23, 2006.
Ash and his friends are heading to the Battle Dome fresh over Ash winning the Guts Symbol. May steps off the path to admire a nearby farm, but two Voltorb approach from behind. Max warns her, but it is too late to prevent them from attacking May with fierce Electric attacks. A young girl steps out from behind a bush and reveals that the Voltorb are trained to attack trespassers. However, she recognizes May from her win at the Saffron City Contest. Two adults call out the girl’s name, Nicolette, and invite them inside. The family serves them a meal as the father, Christopher, introduces his wife Jeannie and her daughter Nicolette. Nicolette wants to be a Coordinator, but she does not feel ready to leave home. Max asks what kind of farm the family runs, and Christopher reveals that they are farm ranchers, raising Pokémon eggs. He offers to give them a tour of the ranch.
As Nicolette carries a bucket of grass out, she notices Max grooming Munchlax. She talks about wanting to have a test battle, but she does not realize she openly said it to Max. She recovers and wants to battle, but Max points out that Munchlax belongs to his sister. May comes out and talks to Nicolette about training to become a coordinator. Nicolette challenges her to a battle, pitting Vileplume against Munchlax, despite that May has not battled with Munchlax. Vileplume attacks with Petal Dance, confusing Munchlax. Despite that, it still pulls off a Metronome attack, which unfortunately turns into Splash. Vileplume uses Stun Spore to paralyze Munchlax and cripple it further. Vileplume fires Bullet Seed, creating a smokescreen around Munchlax and apparently ending the battle. Nicolette begins to brag, which irritates May and gets her fired up to battle. Munchlax responds in kind, recovering from the attack and charging forward, executing a Focus Punch attack against the off-guard Vileplume and sending it back. As Max points out the attack, May orders Munchlax to use SolarBeam. Vileplume ducks the attack, but it makes a glancing blow, still enough to knock it out. Nicolette tries to brush it off, but she is amazed at May’s skill. May celebrates her win with her surprisingly powerful Munchlax. Ash and Brock call to them to check out the eggs.
Inside one of the storage room, eggs line the shelves and astound the group. Some of the eggs belong to other Trainers while others belong to the family. Christopher asks May to share her traveling stories with Nicolette to motivate her. He points out that one egg is ready to hatch and the group offers to help hatch it. Team Rocket is watching nearby, staking out the ranch and the Voltorb sentries. James creates a plan to steal the eggs.
Meanwhile, Ash and co. have dinner with the family. Christopher asks the group to share their travel stories, but Nicolette chooses not to stick around, seemingly upset. The parents reveal that she is quite stubborn. The conversation is cut short as they notice the Voltorb attacking outside. They go outside and Nicolette and the Voltorb facing a very large egg. A note falls forward and asks them to take care of the egg. They manage to use a cart to wheel the giant egg inside as Jessie and James, electrified from the Voltorb attacks, watch as their plan is set.
After putting the giant egg away, the family shows the group an incubator that holds an egg close to hatching. Ash and his friends offer to patrol the area. As they do, May finds Nicolette taking care of an egg by polishing it. As May begins to help polish eggs, Nicolette begins to respond to May about wanting to become a coordinator. She's scared that she will not succeed, but May tries to help by mentioning how she started as a beginner and built up. Despite that, Nicolette is still reluctant to leave.
Team Rocket’s balloon flies over the farm as Jessie calls over the radio to Meowth, putting the plan into motion. The big egg is actually a mecha, with Meowth as the driver. Meowth activates it and uses mechanical arms to grab all the eggs and put them into a basket. As Meowth begins to leave, he notices the parents taking care of the incubated egg. Meowth breaks the window and takes the egg. The parents alert Ash and his friends to the situation as Meowth comes against the Voltorb. This time, Meowth's mecha knocks the Voltorb out. Ash and co. catch up with the mecha as Team Rocket's balloon comes down and hooks the mecha to the balloon.
Pikachu attempts to attack with Thunderbolt, but Nicolette stops them since it could destroy the eggs. The balloon proceeds to take off, Pikachu charging electricity but unable do anything. May advises Nicolette to let Vileplume use Stun Spore to stop them without harming the eggs. The attack stops the balloon from taking off as Vileplume follows up with Petal Dance. The attack confuses Team Rocket and sends the balloon flying erratically, the vibrations destroying the basket and sending the eggs into free fall. Everyone rushes to catch the sets, successfully doing so, but the glowing egg falls out of reach. May sends out Munchlax to catch it by bouncing it off its belly and allowing Jeannie to catch the egg. Meowth reactivates the mecha to try and retake the eggs, but Vileplueme's Bullet Seed destroys the arms. Both Munchlax and Vileplume use SolarBeam to destroy the balloon, but the mecha survives. The mecha tries to flee, but Ash orders Pikachu to use Quick Attack. Pikachu stores electricity and charges quickly, the Quick Attack turning into an electrified version, as Pikachu learned to use Volt Tackle. Ash congratulates his buddy as it finishes the attack, sending Team Rocket flying.
Everyone stays up until the morning, watching the egg prepare to hatch. The egg brings out a Vulpix, prompting May to check her Pokédex. May complements Nicolette about her combinations, reassuring that Nicolette is ready. She makes the decision to go on her journey. As Ash and co. prepare to depart, Christopher gives May an egg as a gift for helping Nicolette. She accepts the egg and the heroes depart.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- The OP animation changes a second time to include Greta.
- The Japanese ending theme changes back to GLORY DAY ~That Shining Day~, replacing Pokémon Counting Song. Although the visuals are completely new, the lyrics are the same as the first Glory Day ending.
- James's Mime Jr. speaks Meowth's parts in Team Rocket's motto, except the last one.
- As Team Rocket blasts off James says "Our egg plan was thwarted by an egg move!" The only way Pikachu can learn Volt Tackle is as an egg move. This is only in the Japanese version.
- When Team Rocket blasts off, Meowth breaks the fourth wall in this episode as he says, "You're giving me a pain but I can't say where because kids watch this show."
- Ash claims that Max and May have never seen Pokémon eggs before, despite the fact that they actually saw Mudkip eggs in A Mudkip Mission.
- The Pokédex data for Vulpix on several games, and even in the anime states Vulpix is born with only one tail, while the newly hatched Vulpix in this episode was born with six tails. However, it should be noted that when a Vulpix is hatched in the games, it will be born with six tails, despite what is said in the Pokédex.
- May's Munchlax's eyelids were colored white in one scene.
- Nicolette's Vileplume's Petal Dance caused May's Munchlax (and eventually Team Rocket) to become confused, despite the fact that Petal Dance is supposed to cause confusion to the Pokémon using the move.
- After Team Rocket has got hit by Vileplume's Petal Dance, their Meowth balloon can be seen having two paws instead of usual one.
- In one scene May is rubbing the egg which is sitting next to an Aipom egg as well as other eggs on the top shelf, however in the next scene the Aipom egg is gone, and none of the other eggs on the shelf match the ones that were present in the other scene.
In other languages