From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Come What May!
VS Charem! Contest Battle!!
|| November 13, 2003
| United States
|| November 6, 2004
|| Team Ota
|| 米村正二 Shōji Yonemura
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
Come What May! (Japanese: VSチャーレム！コンテストバトル！！ VS Charem! Contest Battle!!) is the 51st episode of the Advanced Generation series, and the 325th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on November 13, 2003 and in the United States on November 6, 2004.
The Fallarbor Town Contest has finally begun, and May is more determined than ever to win. With Ash, Brock, and Max cheer her on in the audience. Drew and his Roselia make it through to the second round of the Contest with a score of 29.6, Grace and her Medicham make it through with a score of 29.5, and May and Beautifly achieve a score of 25.9, barely beating another contestant to the second round by a tenth of a point. Jessie arrives disguised as Jessica, cheating to make her Dustox more beautiful by attaching a device to it that shot out colorful particles, and achieves the best score of 29.7.
The second round of the Contest starts with May battling Jessie. Jessie sends out Dustox and tells it to use Tackle and then Rainbow, a move that Meowth is operating backstage. May tells Beautifly to dodge it and use String Shot. Dustox then uses Whirlwind to send it back and hit Beautifly, making May lose points. Dustox then uses a Poison Sting, which May knocks back with Gust, making it lose points and damaging the rainbow device. Dustox then uses Tackle and May counters it with Silver Wind. Dustox loses even more points and damages the device even further. May congratulates Beautifly while Jessie is furious. Jessie then tells Dustox to use its strongest Psybeam, which fails when Meowth discovers the remote is broken. Beautifly uses Tackle, which sends Dustox flying back, losing all its points and destroying the device.
May wins the round. The device falls off Dustox and the whole audience sees that Jessie cheated. One of the judges stands up and attempts to disqualify her, at which point Jessie screams and throws a yellow Poké Ball which releases yellow dust. When the dust clears, Team Rocket is standing there, attempting to steal everyone's Pokémon. Ash jumps up and tells Pikachu to use Thunderbolt, sending Team Rocket flying.
As the second round continues, Grace and Drew battle. Grace sends out Medicham and Drew sends out Roselia. Drew starts off with Magical Leaf, which Grace uses Meditate to dodge. Then Medicham uses Ice Punch, which Roselia gracefully dodges. It then uses Petal Dance, which Medicham stops in midair with Confusion and sends back, causing Roselia to lose points. Drew then commands Roselia to use SolarBeam. Grace tells Medicham to use Ice
Punch on the ground, which builds a shield around Roselia, causing it to hit itself. Grace wins the battle.
The final battle is with May's Beautifly against Grace's Medicham. May starts with Tackle, which Medicham dodges with Meditate. Beautifly then uses Gust, but just before it falls to the ground, Medicham uses Confusion to levitate, limiting the number of points lost. Beautifly then uses String Shot which Medicham sends back with another confusion, damaging and tangling up Beautifly. Medicham then uses Ice Punch, encasing Beautifly in ice. As Beautifly breaks free, Medicham uses Hi Jump Kick. Beautifly dodges and uses Silver Wind, hitting Medicham and causing it to hurt its knee, losing major points. Beautifly uses a Tackle and String Shot combo, and Medicham uses Confusion to stop it. Still spinning, Beautifly uses Silver Wind and encases Medicham in string. Beautifly then uses Tackle, entwining Medicham with the String Shot. May uses Tackle as Medicham breaks out of the string and dodges. Beautifly then uses Silver Wind and traps Medicham's hands, immobilizing it. Then Beautifly uses a Tackle and Silver Wind combo to inflict major damage on Medicham. Medicham then tries to turn it around with Hi Jump Kick, which May tells Beautifly to counter with Tackle. The two approach each other head-on and collide just as time runs out. May is declared the winner of the Fallarbor Pokémon Contest.
- May wins her first Contest Ribbon.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Pokémon Trainer's Choice: Bagon
- The title is a reference to a line from the play Macbeth.
- The smoke ball Jessie throws looks similar to the GS Ball.
- Despite being disqualified for using an item in her performance, coordinators have used items in previous and future episodes.
- On another note, Jessie was disqualified despite being already eliminated from the Contest.
- Music from the second movie can be heard in this episode.
- Magical Leaf did not hit Medicham. In the games, Magical Leaf cannot miss under normal circumstances.
- When James, Meowth and Wobbuffet are rubbing Jessie's and Dustox's backs, Wobbuffet pops up for agreement for their speech. At the same time the sound that is usually heard when Wobbuffet pops out from its Poké Ball is heard, even though it was outside of its Ball already.
- Instead of Hi Jump Kick, Grace commands Medicham to use "Hi Jump."
- Question: Trainers, which one of these Pokémon evolves into Shelgon?
- Choices: Bagon, Aron, Zangoose
- Answer: OK, Trainers, if you chose Bagon, you were right!
In other languages