From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| A Mudkip Mission
Secret Pond! Full of Mizugorou!?
|| May 15, 2003
| United States
|| March 13, 2004
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 秦義人 Yoshito Hata
| Assistant director
|| 秦義人 Yoshito Hata
| Animation director
|| 宍戸久美子 Kumiko Shishido
| Additional credits
A Mudkip Mission (Japanese: 秘密の池！ミズゴロウがいっぱい!? Secret Pond! Full of Mizugorou!?) is the 25th episode of the Advanced Generation series, and the 299th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on May 15, 2003 and in the United States on March 13, 2004.
Ash and his friends are walking along a river. May points out a camera position, talking to herself that she is going to be a great Pokémon coordinator. As they continue to walk, they came to a waterfall. Asking how they will climb up the mountain, Brock sends out his Lotad. He ties a stone to a rope and throw up to the air and then, Lotad uses Water Gun for it to reach to a tree branch at the top. He pulls the rope to make sure it’s tight. Brock tells the others that he will climb up first and they will follow behind. When Brock and May reach the top, May helps Ash and Max up the mountain. Ash suggests using a better idea. May exclaims that she should have use her Silcoon but Brock beats her to it. Ash notices that there is a foggy lake. Max checks his PokéNav and says that the lake surrounds a small island. They decide to go there. Brock tells them that the ground will be muddy ahead. They step out of the fog and saw lots of baby Mudkip in a large lake. Ash scans his Pokédex. May remembers the incident where a Mudkip uses Water Gun at her. May rushes up while saying that she will catch one, but a bigger Mudkip came out of the bushes and uses Water Gun at her face. May says that she doesn’t have luck with water Pokémon. Just then, a Mudkip falls into the lake, wash away by the current. Everyone notices it and Brock tell his Lotad to save it. Lotad jumps into the water and reaches Mudkip. But the current pull him along too. Brock calls for it but the big Mudkip jumps in the water. It pulls them back to the shore and Brock thanks it. The Mudkip leaps back with an angry look. Brock tells the Mudkip that May means no harm. The others walk closer but the Mudkip runs away. Brock picks up the baby Mudkip and plays with it. An old man with a Mudkip's gills-like hairstyle, pops up, scolding them what they are doing with the Mudkip. Ash says that they mean no harm and told the man that Brock is the one who saves the Mudkip. Brock blushes and laughs. Later on, Team Rocket tries to steal all the baby Mudkip but Ash and his friends save them. Brock decides to catch the Mudkip and he did. They continue their journey with a new friend.
Who’s That Pokémon?: Pelipper
- The sequence following the Pokédex scan of two Mudkip on a rock has become an internet meme, spawning literally hundreds of YouTube videos with a sum of many millions of views.
- This episode is featured on the Volume 10: Mudkip copy of Pokémon All Stars.
- In the flashback, Brock says "The ground around here is so soft". However, what he actually said at that time was, "Feels like it's pretty muddy over here".
- When Brock is trying to save Mudkip and the baby Mudkip, Forretress disappears.
- In May's flashback of getting attacked by a Mudkip, she says, "How'd I do?". She originally said, "That supposed to happen?"
In other languages
- French: Un bain de boue
- German: Der alte Moormann
- Hebrew: משימת מדקיפ mesimat Mudkip
- Italian: L'uomo della palude
- Portuguese (Brazilian): A Missão Mudkip
- Iberian Spanish: Una misión Mudkip
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Una misión Mudkip!