From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Official artwork for Alain.
The XY series (Japanese: ポケットモンスターＸＹ（エックスワイ） Pocket Monsters XY) is the fifth series of the Pokémon anime, following after the Best Wishes series, and based on the events of the Generation VI games. It premiered on October 17, 2013 in Japan, and January 18, 2014 in the United States, though the first two episodes were aired as a preview in the United States on October 19, 2013.
As with the previous three series, the XY series began with only Ash Ketchum, headed off to a new region with his Pikachu while wearing a new set of clothes. His previous companions, Iris and Cilan, left the series. Joining him this time are Serena, a new Trainer who previously met Ash in her childhood; Clemont, an aspiring inventor and scientist who is also the Gym Leader of the Lumiose Gym; and Bonnie, Clemont's younger sister. Jessie, James and Meowth continue to follow Ash and his friends through the Kalos region, and have gone back to their more traditional methods of capturing Ash's Pikachu and other Pokémon. Jessie's Wobbuffet returns to her roster. This series also features a series of side story episodes following the adventures of a trainer named Alain, who is working to find Mega Stones and defeat all Mega Evolutions using his Mega Charizard X.
It is currently unknown how many seasons the series will be divided into for audiences outside of Japan.
When the XY series came to be dubbed into English and other languages, it is divided into seasons:
Episodes in the XY series are numbered with the prefix XY on Bulbapedia. For a complete episode listing, see the list of XY series episodes.
- The XY series is the only series in which Ash has two long-term female traveling companions.
- A new art style is instituted beginning in this series. A notable difference is that the stock 'effect' backgrounds have been almost entirely removed (only appearing so far in cases where a main character has captured a Pokémon or whenever Ash has won a Gym Badge). The characters are consistently drawn with fingernails. Also, the character models (as seen in the artworks) are slightly taller in comparison to the previous four series. In addition, like in the games, the XY series now includes a VS. player overview screen before starting some battles.
- Similarly to In The Shadow of Zekrom!, Ash also receives a physical redesign, now having hair covering the top of his ears (resembling his game counterpart Red's FireRed and LeafGreen design).
- This is the first series in which Ash has not captured the regional Grass-type starter Pokémon.
- This is the first series that the starter Pokémon that Ash and his friends get all came directly from the region's major Pokémon Professor.
- The XY series shares a few similarities to the Advanced Generation series:
- Ash is traveling with three companions instead of two.
- Two of the traveling companions are siblings, with one of them being too young to have Pokémon of their own.
- The three older main characters have one starter Pokémon each.
- This is the first series in which Ash begins with a companion from the previous series; he traveled to Kalos with Alexa.
- The dub of episodes from A PokéVision of Things to Come! up until Heroes - Friends and Faux Alike! were first aired in the United Kingdom before the United States (except the unaired episode An Undersea Place to Call Home!).
In other languages
|| 寵物小精靈XY Chungmat Siujingling XY
|| 神奇寶貝XY Shénqí-bǎobèi XY
|| 포켓몬스터 XY Pocket Monsters XY|
XY 포켓몬스터 XY Pocket Monsters