From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Hilda (Japanese: トウコ Tōko) is the female player character in Pokémon Black and White. Her male counterpart is Hilbert.
In the games
As the protagonist
Hilda is a girl who lives in Nuvema Town, along with her childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, she will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on her Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilda will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilda will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling her childhood friends at various points during her journey, Hilda will also meet a man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilda will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilda will also battle Team Plasma at various stages of her journey. At the game's climax, Hilda is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player (that is, the male character was chosen as the player), Hilda appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants her to base her team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilda's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N and has not returned home.
Battle Subway Pokémon
Hilda has a counterpart in the Pokémon Adventures manga named White, who debuted in the Black & White chapter. She owns a company called the BW Agency, and gets the idea to hire Black upon seeing the bond the latter's Tepig had with a female of its species.
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilda as "White".
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilda as "Whitlea".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilda as "Shiro" (the Japanese word for White).
- Hilda and Hilbert are the first player characters in the main series not to have preprogrammed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilda and Hilbert are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they are.
|| トウコ Tōko
|| From 闘 tō, fight.
|| From the Germanic element hild, battle. Also very similar to German word Held, "protagonist" or "hero".
|| Similar to Ludwig (Hilbert).
|| Possibly from lotta, Italian for fight.
|| Similar to Athena.
|| From liza, battle or battlefield.
|| 투희 Tuhui
|| From 鬪姬 tuhui, fighting maiden.