Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming this November! Check and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the or in our IRC channel.
Yay, Martonimos has a bulldozer, and the wall is coming down! Haha! This is really good, much more concise and still contains all the important stuff. I'd suggest a line about not being scared off by other peoples' actions, and don't be scared to muck up once in a while. Otherwise, awesome! Good to see there's someone around here (especially an admin—sorry if you feel my comments are directed at you!) that wants to make Bulbapedia a more positive place. — THE TROM — 04:33, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
Just some thoughts
First, a couple nit-picky things:
- For a basic overview of wiki code, see this page.
Best practices in web development dictate that rather than using links like "click here" or "this page", one should link the words describing what is being linked to. I suggest rewording this as "If you're new to wiki editing, check out our basic overview of wiki code."
- Finally, a list of administrators that you can contact in case of a problem can be found here.
Similar issue, perhaps this could be worded as "Finally, see the list of administrators for people you can contact in case of a problem."
While this welcome message is much shorter than the current one, I still feel like some of the bullet points are rather long. In particular, I don't feel like the one about image uploading is totally necessary. It is the longest point, and not everyone will upload images. Is there another Help/Bulbapedia page that talks about image uploading that could be simply linked to? Also, in the second point, the sentence "It is a basic outline of Bulbapedia style." might be unnecessary. We could just link it as Bulbapedia style primer. — Laoris (Blah) 04:44, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
- Actually the image thing is necessary. Not everyone knows that it is done through the archives, and more than once, people have asked why they weren't allowed to add images. Why? Because they weren't on the right place. Now, I think that this welcome is somewhat empty, And I like Kogoro's welcome a little better. MaverickNate 04:50, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
- I dunno... it has all the links mine does, yes, but to me, a list of links is about as desirable as a wall of text. The welcome message I got on the Stargate wiki was nice and concise; that's what I was modeling mine after.
- That's not to say, of course, that I don't see the advantages to Kogoro's. We should try to compromise and reach one everyone can be happy with. --Martonimos 05:12, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
- I prefer this welcome, actually. Probably just needs a little more cutting down, but it's concise, but still explains what the links are for. Glinn Mgraw 06:22, 20 November 2008 (UTC)