Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have been announced!
Check and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the or in our IRC channel.
|Due to special coding in place in the article, the artwork featured on this article will change every year on November 21 and October 15 in celebration of the releases of Gold and Silver in Japan, and Gold and Silver in the United States. This will only affect the artwork shown in the infobox. This changes every year, so when the time comes, to return to the page and change the display.|
This Pokemon was used as an "Extreme Peggy" in a flash animation by The Clock Crew in their "Channel Surfing". RocketM 15:32, 29 September 2006 (UTC)
Image for Swinub on the evolutionary line is BAD. Can someone fix that? ht14 22:20, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
Serebbi said it can't be totored it in Platinum, but that doesn't make sense. Can anybody check this out?- unsigned comment from Gorebyss (talk • contribs) I don't know why Serebbi says that but the strategy guide for Platinum says that Swinub CAN learn Icy Wind in the game. I'm not sure if this is correct but, normally, if it can learn Icy Wind via leveling up, it can learn it through tutoring. --Rankurusu 22:23, 24 July 2010 (UTC)
Couldn't Swinub be used as F.E.A.R in Platinum.Laxafett 10 January 2009, 18:58 (UTC)
- Yes, indeedy do. And it's not the only one to be made F.E.A.R. capable due to Platinum move tutors, either. It's all on this page. Missingno. Master wants YOU! Join the Order of the Glitch! (my talk page) 19:51, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
Its been a long time since I made that connection, but couldn't the basis for this Pokémon be based on a Ground Hog? I was young when I first saw the possibility of this wordplay, but with age the mind is the first to go.Yami 19:46, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- Actually, a Swinub looks nothing like a groundhog, if you take a look at pictures of a groundhog. But then, that's just my opinion. ~ solaris 19:48, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- They do seem to look like groundhogs in shape, an by wikipedia their size and weights are similar as well.
well most of Origins on Bulbapedia are unsourced and speculative so i went and added the info Yami 19:59, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- That's not an excuse. It's not even a freaking rodent. Plus, let's not forget that Pokémon is Japanese and so they'd not really use an English naming pun. Most we can take out of it is Urimoo, which combines wild boar piglet with the sound it makes. TTEchidna 20:18, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- According to the wikipedia article, groundhogs are relativity the same size and weight of swinub. Swinub are adapt to digging just like groundhogs. swinub is a pig pokemon and a ground type and hog is is another word for pig. So far we have 3 things that makes it look like Groundhog is the animal they're based on from a wordplay angle. Also groundhogs are given a frosted appearance which could be why swinub has the ice type. Yami 20:45, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- Much of what is below is dead on to a Swinub. Swinub is rounded, has stubby limbs and can still dig like no tomorrow. The only real difference is groundhogs have to dig below the frost line where a Swinub would feel comfortable right on it.
Just barely like what a guy with a hot dog in his mouth would sound saying ground hog while trying mock Japanese. My translator also says ウリム(swinub) is URIMU instead of Urimoo Yami 21:16, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
You have it listed as a combination of a Peruvian guinea pig, and a wild boar piglet. TTC you said its not a rodent, but a Peruvian guinea pig is a rodent. Also just because a Groundhog is like a rodent doesn't mean they can't base Swine pokemon off one. Look at Bulbasaur, its reptilian like and with the bulb on its back makes it very turtle like even through its name is like dinosaur and its compared to a frog. the creators are no stranger to using wordplay in weird ways. Yami 21:27, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- Ok, i think i see whats going on here.... I don't know how you got it into your head, but i never said a Groundhog was a pig. I was mentioning that Swinub could be based on a Groundhog on more of a pun or wordplay thing. Ground is what Type Swinub is and The last part of Groundhog is HOG which is another word for pig. Yami 21:55, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
The groundhog is the largest sciurid in its geographical range, typically measuring 40 to 65 cm (17 to 26 in) long (including a 15 cm tail) and weighing 2 to 4 kg (4.5 to 9 pounds). In areas with fewer natural predators and large quantities of alfalfa, groundhogs can grow to 80 cm (32 in) and 14 kg (30 lb). Groundhogs are well adapted for digging, with short but powerful limbs and curved, thick claws. Unlike other sciurids, the groundhog's spine is curved, more like that of a mole, and the tail is comparably shorter as well – only about one-fourth of body length. Suited to their temperate habitat, groundhogs are covered with two coats of fur: a dense grey undercoat and a longer coat of banded guard hairs that gives the groundhog its distinctive "frosted" appearance. Yami 20:53, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
"Before the introduction of Mamoswine, Swinub and its evolved form Piloswine were very similar to Mankey and Primeape. Both are the combination of a pig and another animal, had only two evolutionary stages, the final form's English name began with "P", and both are the pigs of their generations followed by Spoink and Grumpig."
This really isn't trivia. This is just something somebody noticed one day. The paragraph gets less and less significant or relevant with each new point it makes as it goes along. Bug Catcher Wade 11:07, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
- Kill it. Absolute rubbish. —darklordtrom 11:19, 5 August 2010 (UTC)