Please remember to follow the manual of style and code of conduct at all times. Check and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the or in our IRC channel #bulbagarden on irc.systemnet.info.
Salamence's Name Origin
I found out that there are several cities by the name of Salamanca, incase this has to do with his name. Battle of Salamanca is an example of the several cities named Salamanca with history, and I don't believe that much in the "menace" part of its name. So could this city be what Salamence is actually named after? EmS 02:18, 24 February 2009 (UTC)
- Why would a Bohmander be named after a city? Salamanca doesn't have anything to do with dragons... hfc2X 06:00, 24 February 2009 (UTC)
- Well the other languages' names for Bohmander don't have anything to do with Salamanca it seems, and unless a Salamanca city has some dragon history, I might be incorrect. But isn't odd how the English name is close to the city? EmS 01:07, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
As for its German name, Brutalanda, I would like to add that it probably comes from "brutal" and "Salamander" (the final -er tends to get pronounced similarly to -a in sloppy speech). Eevee-Girl 16:38, 5 August 2011 (UTC)
I'm finding little credibility in the fansite GTS Plus naming Salamence the most popular Pokemon. It doesn't say on what basis or how it was determined. I'll leave this post up for a while to let others voice before I remove it. Randomspot555 17:42, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
Just something i noticed.
- That's because it's part Flying, whereas Bagon and Shelgon are not.-- Iron ICE (User:Cold)(page, talk) 00:00, 4 November 2009 (UTC)
- Oh, that's why, I forgot it's flying, alright thanx.--Midnight Blue 03:15, 4 November 2009 (UTC)
Here's a question: if Salamence is such a vicious pokemon, then why is it only 1.5m tall?--Fimbulwinter2012 03:59, 30 October 2010 (UTC)
- Scary things come in small packages? I dunno; the number's accurate. Write to Game Freak or something. —darklordtrom 07:19, 30 October 2010 (UTC)
So is J's Salamence considered a giant pokemon? Or is this just anime physics? Fimbulwinter2012 02:26, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
- I'm guessing it's because it's so squat. 1.5m can still be terrifying if it's still wider/longer than that.
Trade in SS
I don't think that the unic way to have an Salamance in SoulSilver is by trade; there we can find Shelgon in the Safari Zone and it's not necessary to trade in order for it to evolve into Salamance. I think that there is a mistake...
Momergil 12:14, 6 August 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, that's the default setting when no one puts the correct value in. I've fixed it. If you see any more that are wrong, you can change them yourself :) —darklordtrom 12:20, 6 August 2010 (UTC)
Would it be acceptable to state in this section that Salamence resembles Devilman as he appeared in the 1972 anime? Their wings are identical and both are colored a similar shade of blue. Salamence's eyebrow ridges also resemble the markings on his chest. cuckooshrike 01:48, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
- We generally avoid comparing Pokemon to creatures from other animes, video games, movies, et cetera, as it usually opinion based and unlikely. Crystal Talian 01:58, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
- I'm still hung up on this almost a year later. I'm still convinced inspiration for Salamence's design came from Devilman   and the possibility should be mentioned in the article. Salamence's Origin section is too barren in its current state and this is a lot more likely than most "also possibly based on"s I see on Bulbapedia, especially considering the cartoon's popularity in Japan while Tajiri and many others who have worked on Pokemon were children. --cuckooshrike 20:45, 16 January 2014 (UTC)
I went ahead and added this. I almost specified that it resembles the 1972 design of Devilman but I thought it didn't read well. I wanted to include this because Devilman has normal bat wings in all appearances since the 1972 anime. --cuckooshrike 02:26, 17 January 2014 (UTC)
Conquest (or lack of it) trivia
Salamence is the only Pseudo-legendary Pokémon not to appear in Pokémon Conquest. Should this be added to Trivia, or is it not notable enough? If you ask me, it probably wasn't included because it would have just given us another Dragon Rush user. Dragonhat (talk) 00:27, 7 March 2013 (UTC)
Mega Salamence Design
I was just wondering, in the Origin section, would it be safe to say that Mega Salamence's design resembles that of a space ship? To me it looks like it is, but that could be open to speculation. Litwick96 (talk) 03:19, 17 January 2015 (UTC)