Talk:It's Super Effective (podcast)
Someone placed a banner disputing the neutrality of this article, calling for discussion on that subject here on the talk page. No one has done that yet, so I thought I would start. I understand the worry, as this has been edited by those who are affiliated with the subject matter (myself included,) but I would hesitate to say it is too far from neutral. However, obviously my opinion is a bit biased. Thoughts on what (if anything) needs changing? I apologize if this isn't protocol for talk pages. I'm new to them.
Traf12 17:37, 31 May 2012 (UTC)
I agree, the content on the podcast's bulbapedia page is factualy. Perhaps in the first section that mentions the podcast as "having taken the top Pokémon podcast spot from The Pallet Tribune's WTPT - Pokémon Radio" may seem bias. Maybe this needs to be cited for credibility which will eliminate any percieved bias
Taking the top spot would probably refer to the amount of reviews in iTunes. While WTPT has 159 reviews (with a 4.5 star rating), ISE has 244 reviews (with a 5 star rating). WTPT also has 250+ fans on Facebook, while ISE has over 1400 fans. Finally WTPT has 400 followers on Twitter, while ISE has over 2000. I think those are all good cites for creditability.
Finally - I disagree with how the awards are hidden. Those can be cited and various other podcasts did compete to win both times. If an artist won a grammy or an oscar, those would be featured on their said Wikipeida. It would be the same here. The "Shorty" awards is a hosted and sponsored event, therefor that sound stand.
Changes to the article
Okay, I took a look at the article and made some changes. The main problems were that it did read a little like an advertisement, and also felt like an infodump, with lots and lots of lists that were all but meaningless without context. So here's what I've done:
- A new "Reception" section to deal with the accolades the podcast has achieved. This means that the blurb concerning its popularity is no longer right at the top, which makes the article feel less than an ad, and I've also restored the paragraph about awards, and put it here. Obviously if the podcast attracted any negative attention or controversy, this would also be the place for it.
- The various lists of co-hosts have been placed with the staff, and made into sentences so that they don't stretch the page so much.
- The website stuff has been hidden until the many items on the list can be elaborated upon. At the moment it's not really doing anything other than taking up space: these list items are meaningless without descriptions.
- Some stuff has been reordered. The show's features really should be the first information presented. These could also do with some expansion.
I considered getting rid of the in-jokes and the table of episode titles, but these can stay for now. However, there needs to be more actual information about the show and its content to counterbalance this. At the moment the in-jokes section is twice as long as the features section. This really shouldn't be the case.
- Besides a few minor formatting issues, which I'll fix, this is a much more reasonable version of the article. Many thanks to you, Bikini. BulbaPediaAid 01:06, 15 July 2012 (UTC)
- I think stating that a giveaway was done to promote and get iTunes reviews is unnecessary and bias. Websites do this all the time to promote traffic and to reward fans. The statement in this article has a negative tone and adds nothing to the real content. It doesn't actually acknowledge the winner of the giveaway, which would put a more neutral spin on it. ISE has had multiple giveaways, and none of those are mentioned as well. On top of that, ISE is consistently in the top 50 of the most video game podcasts, it sits next to shows like the Instance, Internet Box, Retronauts and more. You see very few of those shows with under 100 reviews, which says something about the fan base, and really disregards the fact that the contest forced popularity. Committhistomemory (talk) 04:14, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
BulbapediaAid, I recognize your reasoning in deleting some of the sections in this article. They were nearing adspeak and I understand that. However, I think it's a bit ridiculous to be deleting entire sections outright without so much as a mention on the discussion page. Please discuss these sorts of things before going commando.
- It would be better to post this message on the BulbapediaAid's talk page since it only deals with an issue specific to the user. Just something to keep account of in the future. --Pokemaster97 19:57, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
Adding content. To BulbapeidaAid and others. I've been adding content to this page being an avid fan and trying to build this page up. While I'm not a Bulbapeida expert by any means, or a Wikipedia expert - I'm just doing the best I can to fill in the blanks and building this page. WTPT is a good page to reference because in their couple years, their page is HUGE. I think ISE has gone above and beyond not only WTPT but most Pokémon sites by winning awards, donating $1000 to Child's Play, and even having the webmaster of Bulbapedia on in honestly a short amount of time. It seems like a lot of the content removal is basis and preventing this page from growing. Also, looking at Steve's Twitter (@dragginglake) it looks like he did indeed win the Shorty Award for Best #Podcaster. Committhistomemory (talk) 21:34, 18 April 2013 (UTC)