The Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions concert tour is coming to Philadelphia on September 19th. We have two sets of concert double-passes to give away to lucky Bulbanews readers!
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming this November! Check BNN and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in our IRC channel.

Talk:GameShark

From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Not that this article is bad or anything. It's just that this doesn't seem like an article that would get much attention on here. Wouldn't it be better to just link to the Wikipedia in this case?--PikamasterADV 18:16, 14 December 2007 (UTC)

I think we keep it here because lots of people use cheating devices. Except, by what I've seen, Action Replay is used more... Tina δ 18:17, 14 December 2007 (UTC)

Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this be merged with Action Replay into something like "Cheating Devices" (and perhaps with pokesav and the like as well) because together they MIGHT actually have enough non-overlapping content to merit an article, but each on its own does not in my opinion. So, for now I'll mark this with Questionable Notability, since it seems like either that or Cleanup, right? NonaSuomi 18:24, 28 September 2008 (UTC)

Structure of a cheat

While the current text on the page is indeed true for pre-GBA games, I've seen that all GBA GameShark codes are a bunch of codes instead of just one single code (and their structure looks very random-ish). Until someone writes about how it works in the newer devices, I'm going to mark it as incomplete. UltimateSephiroth (about me · chat · edits) 20:32, 2 January 2009 (UTC)

Incomplete?

What does this article need? I have a GameShark and I could most certainly finish this article up if I knew what else it needed. シンジShinjiLover,Edits 00:32, 11 February 2009 (UTC)

Unfortnately it is unlikely that you have anywhere near enough knowledge of how codes are made, structured, etc. simply because you own a gameshark or related device, for any generation. Unless I am much mistaken, a large portion of the reasoning behind the 'incomplete' tag was that there is detailed information for generation I & II codes (gameboy color GS codes) but almost no information on anything from gen III or IV (GBA and DS codes, respectively). I know enough to get by on my own, but not nearly enough to teach anyone, and so can't really add anything here, except my belief that this ought to be merged with the other related articles, which would probably help people understand the idea better, as this is pretty much the final stage of someone(s) trying to hack codes for themselves, which is a good place to start looking. Gah, I've gone and gotten off-topic now... Oh well, at least it's still (partially) relevant to the issue at hand. Bottom line: owning a gameshark (or other similar device) doesn't mean you necessarily know what you need to in order to finish the article. You're welcome to contribute though, and who knows? Maybe you DO know how to find entry/exit points and other such nonsense. Alright- I'm signing off here before this becomes any more rambling. NonaSuomi 01:10, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
Who said that I knew the coding behind the GameShark? No one did. I was only asking what was needed so that I could contribute to it. シンジShinjiLover,Edits 23:27, 15 February 2009 (UTC)

Compatibility

Would a North American GameShark be compatible with a Japanese game? I'm just curious. Zesty Cactus 01:48, 17 July 2009 (UTC)

Maybe. The entire Game Boy series is region free. --Wildgoosespeeder 02:14, 8 January 2012 (UTC)

Is This Brand of Cheating Devices Temperamental?

When the GameShark brand was under management of InterAct, is this brand of cheating devices temperamental? I'd say 25% of the time this device works properly. The other 75% it just fails to boot or the slightest tap would make the device go haywire, give a blank screen, or freeze the game (not the cheat code doing the freeze because the cheat code does work eventually). It justs flatout works when it wants to. Under Mad Catz management (GBA GameShark) I rarely get this issue. --Wildgoosespeeder 02:14, 8 January 2012 (UTC)

Updated Image?

Instead of using the GameShark Pro for GBC as the current image, why not just use the GameShark logo then place pictures of GameSharks for different systems? I can easily supply pictures of GameSharks for Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance. --Wildgoosespeeder 02:38, 8 January 2012 (UTC)

Merge with Action Replay

I feel like these two should be merged since GameShark and Action Replay are the same product, just sold under two different names. If you crack open a GameShark you can even see "Action Replay" stamped on the board. HyperHacker (talk) 07:55, 25 April 2013 (UTC)