>"strongly disagree. The prefix ab- means away/from -- as in ablation, carried away, and ab initio, from the start -"
Either way, wouldn't it still be correct? The name still breaks down into lack of sun.
No, not quite. ab has more to do with the direction, rather than the state. Also, sol would need to be in the ablative case, instead of the nominative case. Hence, it would be ab sole, "(away) from the sun" etc.
But, I doubt that's what Absol is meant to be broken down to... I'm thinking more of a shortened form of absolve or absolute. Or maybe even ab solis, with solis being sole, as in solitary. But I'm not sure whether ab solis makes sense, let alone be relevant... - 振霖T 10:34, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Absence of sol, perhaps.
The name is meant to imply that the Pokémon is a harbinger of destruction. Evkl 11:26, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)
You guys can go ahead and argue about what I wrote. We needed to put something, even if it is just pure speculation. -Argy
Anybody know how to remove the Category:Pokémon entries without the generation number tag at the bottom of the page? I couldn't figure out how to remove it. --PAK Man 04:10, 28 November 2006 (UTC)
I'm more inclined to lean toward the idea of Absol coming from "absolve". Absol, although the disaster pokemon, is known to be blameless for these incidents. One could say that she is "absolved from guilt"
I found a really interesting potential source recently, but realized I'd misread it slightly. All the same, it could be a possible source. In Ovid's Metamorpheses, Asbolus (which I at first accidentally misread as Absolus, lol) is "the seer of the wild centaurs, and warns of impending doom". ^^ Any thoughts? Heart of Thorns 23:31, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
Hey, that's actually plausible.Kiryu 22:33, 14 October 2008 (UTC)
I get the feeling Absol's name actually derives from Japanese words exclusively, being abunai ('dangerous', often used as a warning interjection) and osoru ('to fear' or 'to be afraid'). It seems kind of appropriate for a creature that warns others of danger and is indeed feared. >>; - unsigned comment from StellarWind (talk • contribs)
DP - Pt Sprite Chnage
It says on the trivia pages of Muk, Oddish, Hitmonlee, Meowth, Primeape and Registeel that they are all non-Sinnoh Pokemon that have had sprite change from DP to Platinum. Shouldn't Absol be there too (and also the Eeveelutions, as they are all non-Sinnoh (except Leafeon and Glaceon) Silver Eevee talk? contribs! 07:01, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- Absol as well as all the Eeveelutions are in the Sinnoh dex in as of Platinum. --ケンジのガール 07:11, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
Critical Hit Ratio
This pokemon is one of the few pokemon that can have critical hit moves used in combination with Super Luck and a Razor Claw or Scope Lens ang get a 50% chance to critical hit. (Without Focus Energy) Nixslayer 23:22, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
- Hmmm.. I don't agree with this. Let's take Night Slash, with level 2 of Critical hit (12,5%). Absol has Super Luck, so it makes NS one level up (25%); an item increases by another one level (33,3%). So you still need one Dire hit or Focus Energy to make it level 5 (50%). BTW it is the irony that Absol cannot learn Focus Energy... Generation V pre-evos, please fix it... Piotr mil 23:45, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- I believe the "scythe" actually points slightly backwards on a normal Absol, and it appears upside-down on Drew's due to the angle. However, without seeing the episode itself, I can't be sure; if it is indeed upside-down, a note of it would be worth mentioning on either this page, or Drew's page. -- Jïörüjï Ðērākō.>.cнаt^ 23:02, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
I think it is a worthy notable that in all official artwork and in the anime, absol's face is blue, whereas in the games it is shown to be either black or a dark grey. Wind 14:20, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
I don't know if someone could fix it, but the shiny sprite for Emerald seem to flicker out of sequence when it is rotating, as if the sprites are in the wrong order. 011284mm 19:34, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
- I haven't played Emerald in a while, but actually I remember its sprite moving more like the shiny than the normal one. --Fsilone90 04:37, 17 August 2010 (UTC)
- Its supposed to that. The Normal sprite is the one that's wrong. Its supposed to look like it has the afterimages. JessiPlatinum 14:33, 9 August 2011 (UTC)
Has anyone else noticed that Absols abillity to sense an warn people about disasters is simmiler to the mothman appering before dissasters. Could this be a posible origin to Absols behavior?--EpicShadow 04:43, 12 November 2010 (UTC)
On Absol's footprint sprite, it appears to have a dew claw. On the sprites and the pictures in the article this isn't there. I haven't watched the anime in a long time and have never seen Absol on the show. I was wondering if anyone had noticed whether or not he had a dew claw when seen from a different angle.- unsigned comment from Sammy0295 (talk • contribs)
- Please sign with 4 ~ at the end of a comment.
Also, what? ~ Blitzamirin ~ 21:20, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
- "[A dewclaw] commonly grows high on the leg so that in digitigrade species, when the animal is standing, it does not make contact with the ground." (from Wiki) So the extra bit in the footprint can't be a dewclaw. It would have to be something hidden in the fur lining of its foot. Luna Tiger * the Arc Toraph 22:29, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
DP Little Girl Swarm
I think this is worth adding into the Origin section myself, but I'm not sure. Absol has a headscythe coming out of its right, and white hair hanging long on its left. To me, this is much of a design of a yin-yang. Especially with the black dot in the white hair. Is it worth anything? --Aescula (talk) 07:14, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
- This is already mentioned in the Origin section. It would be redundant to add it again. --The Truth aka Relicant 07:38, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
Mega Absol = Griffin?
Just need to ask. Does Mega Absol have resemblance to mythological griffins? Given that Absol is cat-based (cougars, more specifically), its Mega form could have some resemblance to feline-like griffins. Special Stage Route (pit stop) 07:36, 24 May 2016 (UTC)