Please remember to follow the manual of style and code of conduct at all times.
Check BNN and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in our IRC channel #bulbagarden on irc.systemnet.info.

Honey

From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Sweet Honey)
Jump to: navigation, search
One of the trees to which Honey may be applied.

Honey (Japanese: あまいミツ Sweet Honey) is an item that was introduced in Generation IV. This item is used on special, golden-colored trees in Sinnoh to attract Pokémon—most of which can only be caught in the wild by use of these trees.

When activated in tall grass away from trees, Honey acts in a manner similar to the move Sweet Scent; in Pokémon X and Y specifically, using Honey will trigger a Horde encounter with wild Pokémon.

Overview

Once Honey is slathered on one of the trees and at least 6 real-time hours have passed, a Pokémon may appear on the tree. If a tree is left unchecked for 24 hours, both the Honey and any Pokémon will be gone. Changing the internal Nintendo DS clock will have no impact on the progression of these 6 hours.

There are 21 Honey trees spread throughout Sinnoh. Four of them have a chance to attract Munchlax; these trees are selected based on player information when the game begins, and cannot be changed short of starting a new game. Any tree has a 90% chance to attract a Pokémon from either of two similar sets of Pokémon, described below. Munchlax trees have a 1% chance of attracting a Munchlax, and a 9% chance of attracting no Pokémon; other trees have a 10% chance of attracting no Pokémon.

The Pokémon is determined at the time of slathering the tree. Saving the game, resetting, and re-checking a tree after a Pokémon has appeared will not change the Pokémon, but its level, gender, Nature, IVs, and other random values will change. This is helpful for finding a male or female Burmy, which will have different evolutions depending on their gender, or Combee, which only evolves if female.

If used in tall grass, a cave, or in water, the Honey will activate a Sweet Scent effect, immediately initiating battle with a Pokémon if possible.

In Generation VI, Honey can no longer be applied on trees, and must be used directly in tall grass. Using it attracts Pokémon hordes.

Location

Honey locations

Bag Honey Sprite.png

Honey is first obtained after the player saves a Honey-selling man from Team Galactic in Floaroma Meadow, near Floaroma Town. He will reward the player with some of his Honey. From then onwards, the player will be able to purchase Honey one at a time from him in Floaroma Meadow for PokémonDollar.png100 each.

Multiple units of Honey (two in Diamond and Pearl, six in Platinum) are hidden in Floaroma Meadow and may be found using the Dowsing Machine Pokétch app. In Platinum, after the initial six hidden Honeys are found, two will regenerate in the same locations each day thereafter.[1]

There are many units of Honey scattered throughout the region, from Route 205 to Route 222. These include two hidden units of Honey, one in a yellow crate in the kitchen of the Old Chateau and another on a solitary gravestone on floor 2F of the Lost Tower.

Honey can also be obtained easily through the use of Combee's special Ability, Honey Gather. If a Combee is not already holding an item, it can randomly collect Honey after a battle, with the odds of finding Honey increasing as the Combee levels up. Wild Combee are always holding a unit of Honey.

In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Honey can be purchased at Join Avenue Markets.

Honey tree locations

Technical mechanics

Each of the 21 Honey trees throughout the game occupy 8 bytes in the save file starting from 0x72E4.[2]

0000000000000000

  • Pink represents the countdown timer in minutes. This value starts at 1440 and decreases by 1 every minute after the tree is slathered with Honey. When it reaches 1080 minutes, a Pokémon may appear on the tree. Once the countdown timer reaches 0, any Pokémon will disappear, and the player must slather more Honey.
  • Orange represents which Pokémon within the set will appear.
  • Blue is one less than the set.
  • Green represents from which set the Pokémon will be selected.
  • Yellow ranges from 0–3 and represents how much the tree will shake when the Pokémon is on it. 0 means the tree will not shake at all (even if a Pokémon is on it), and higher numbers indicate more energetic shaking.

Note that these values are all determined the moment the tree is slathered in Honey. After such is done and the game is saved, no resets will change the Pokémon that will end up on the tree, whether a Pokémon will appear at all, or how much the tree will shake.

Determining the values

First, the game decides which set of six Pokémon to pick from. There are three in all, but the third only contains Munchlax and is only used by Munchlax trees. If this tree was slathered again after a Pokémon encounter, it has a 90% chance to reuse the same set. The remaining 10% of the time, or if a new tree is slathered:

  • Munchlax trees have a 20% chance to select from set 1, 70% chance to select from set 2, 9% chance to have no Pokémon, and 1% chance to attract a Munchlax (set 3).
  • Non-Munchlax trees have a 70% chance to select from set 1, 20% chance to select from set 2, and 10% chance to have no Pokémon.

For sets 1 and 2, another roll is required to decide which of the six Pokémon to use. The rarities and Pokémon are listed in the following table:

Freq. Diamond/Pearl Platinum
Col 1 Col 2 Col 1 Col 2
Pokémon 1 (40%) Wurmple Combee Combee Burmy
Pokémon 2 (20%) Silcoon (D)
Cascoon (P)
Burmy Wurmple Cherubi
Pokémon 3 (20%) Combee Cherubi Burmy Combee
Pokémon 4 (10%) Burmy Aipom Cherubi Aipom
Pokémon 5 (5%) Cherubi Heracross Aipom Aipom
Pokémon 6 (5%) Aipom Wurmple Aipom Heracross


The shake value is also randomized, and the chances for each value differ by set.

Shake Set 1 Set 2 Munchlax
0 20% 1% 1%
1 59% 20% 1%
2 20% 75% 5%
3 1% 4% 93%

In general, trees that shake more energetically are more likely to contain rarer Pokémon.

Pokémon

Note: If the last tree where a Pokémon was encountered is slathered again, then there is an initial 90% chance that the tree will attract a Pokémon from the same set that was used before. This can render the below rates inaccurate. See above for an explanation of the sets and Pokémon's exact rarities.

  Pokémon     Games     Location     Levels     Rate  
Munchlax tree
190 Aipom
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 8%
190 Aipom
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 12.5%
214 Heracross
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 3.5%
265 Wurmple
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 11.5%
265 Wurmple
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 4%
266 Silcoon
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 4%
268 Cascoon
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 4%
412 Burmy
Plant Cloak
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 16%
412 Burmy
Plant Cloak
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 32%
415 Combee
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 32%
415 Combee
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 22%
420 Cherubi
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 15%
420 Cherubi
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 16%
446 Munchlax
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 1%
000 None
D P Pt
Honey Honey
9%
Non-Munchlax tree
190 Aipom
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 5.5%
190 Aipom
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 10%
214 Heracross
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 1%
265 Wurmple
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 29%
265 Wurmple
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 14%
266 Silcoon
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 14%
268 Cascoon
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 14%
412 Burmy
Plant Cloak
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 11%
412 Burmy
Plant Cloak
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 22%
415 Combee
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 22%
415 Combee
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 32%
420 Cherubi
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 7.5%
420 Cherubi
D P Pt
Honey Honey
5-15 11%
000 None
D P Pt
Honey Honey
10%
A colored background means that the Pokémon can be found in this location in the specified game. A white background with a colored letter means that the Pokémon cannot be found here.

Flavor text

Games Description
DPPtHGSS
BWB2W2
A sweet honey with a lush aroma that attracts wild Pokémon when it is used in grass, caves, or on special trees.
XY A sweet honey with a lush aroma that attracts wild Pokémon when it is used in tall grass, in caves, or on special trees.

In the anime

Barry slathering honey on a tree

In Some Enchanted Sweetening!, Cheryl wanted to find Enchanted Honey, the honey gathered by Combee, in the Eterna Forest. With the help of Ash and his friends, and with her Mothim leading the way, she located the hive of a Vespiquen and its many worker Combee. After helping defend the hive from Team Rocket, the Vespiquen shared some of its Enchanted Honey with Cheryl, Ash, his friends, and some of their Pokémon. All of them loved the Enchanted Honey, except for Brock's Croagunk, who looked disgusted by the sweet flavor.

Some Honey was shown again in A Trainer and Child Reunion!, where it attracted a Munchlax, much like in the games.

In a flashback in Historical Mystery Tour!, it was revealed that Barry used Honey to attract what would become his Heracross.

In the TCG

Honey is held by Combee (Stormfront 57).

Artwork

This is the artwork of Honey as seen on the Pokémon Global Link.

Dream Honey Sprite.png
Honey

Trivia

  • The feature was originally planned for Pokémon Gold and Silver. In the games' code, there is unused text that mentions an item called "Sweet Honey", which could be used to attract Pokémon by slathering it on a tree and waiting about a day. It was possibly replaced by the move Sweet Scent and the ability to use Headbutt on small trees throughout the Johto region.
  • Using Honey (or Sweet Scent) inside a shop or Poké Mart will cause the descriptive text of purchasable items to vanish until the player leaves the shop. This is known as the Honey shop glitch and only occurs in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
  • Although it is obtainable in all games after Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Honey serves no purpose in these games beyond its "Sweet Scent" effect.
  • Despite its Japanese name, Pokémon who do not like sweet flavors can still be attracted with this item.

In other languages

Language Title
Finland Flag.png Finnish Hunaja
France Flag.png French Miel
Germany Flag.png German Honig
Italy Flag.png Italian Miele
South Korea Flag.png Korean 달콤한꿀 Dalkomhan Kkul
Spain Flag.png Spanish Miel

References

  1. Liquefy's Hidden Items Guide for Platinum
  2. Project Pokémon wiki article on Honey tree mechanics


Project ItemDex logo.png This item article is part of Project ItemDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on all items.