From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Shell Smash (Japanese: からをやぶる Shell Break) is a non-damaging Normal-type move introduced in Generation V.
Shell Smash decreases the user's Defense and Special Defense stat by one stage, but increases the user's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by two stages each.
|| The user breaks its shell, lowering its Defense and Sp. Def stats but sharply raising Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed stats.
|| The user breaks its shell, which lowers Defense and Sp. Def stats but sharply raises its Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed stats.
In the anime
| The user decreases its defense stat and increases its attack and speed stat.
|| First Used In
|| Dwebble jumps out of its shell and its whole body glows white and crimson red cracks form around its entire body. The white energy then breaks apart and comes off Dwebble's body like pieces of a shell. When the energy cracks and breaks apart, Dwebble's body glows crimson red. When Dwebble uses another attack right after using Shell Smash, the white energy particles floating around Dwebble will morph with the attack, giving it more attack power.
| Cilan's Dwebble
|| A Home for Dwebble!
|| Crustle jumps out of its shell and its entire body glows white. Crimson cracks then form all around its body, and the white energy breaks apart and comes off Crustle's body like pieces of a shell. When the energy cracks and breaks apart, Crustle's body glows crimson red. When Crustle uses another attack after using Shell Smash, the white energy particles floating around Crustle will morph with the attack, giving it more attack power. Crustle's body continues to glow crimson until the battle is over as well.
| Cilan's Crustle
|| Evolution Exchange Excitement!
In other generations
- Shell Smash is the only status move that will always affect more than three stats simultaneously. The only other moves capable of doing so are Ancient Power and its variations, but it will not always happen in these cases.
- Shell Smash causes the greatest overall base stat changes of any move from no changes at all, with 8.
- However, Belly Drum surpasses this if the user has a -3 stat change in Attack, resulting in a +9 net stat change, and capping at +12 if executed from -6.
- All Pokémon that are able to learn Shell Smash by leveling up have Defense as their highest base stat.
- Shell Smash is similar to Weak Armor, as both of them lower the Defense stat, but at the same time boost the Speed stat.
In other languages