From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| The picture used in this article is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Field image should be replaced with Generation VI images
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
Sandstorm (Japanese: 砂あらし Sandstorm) is a type of weather introduced in battle in Generation II. It was introduced in the overworld in Generation III.
It will last for five turns if created using Sand Stream (Generation VI onwards) or Sandstorm, or eight if created while holding a Smooth Rock. If created using Sand Stream (prior to Generation VI) or encountered in the overworld, it will last until replaced.
|| Gen II
|| Gen III
|| Gen IV
|| Gen V
|| Gen VI
| If naturally occurring
|| "A sandstorm is raging."
|| "A sandstorm brewed!"
|| "A sandstorm kicked up!"
| Sandstorm used
|| "A Sandstorm brewed!"
|| "A sandstorm brewed!"
| Sand Stream activated
|| "(Wild/Foe) <Pokémon>'s Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!"
|| "(The wild/foe's) <Pokémon>'s Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!"
| After turn is complete
|| "The Sandstorm rages!"
|| "The sandstorm rages."
|| (no text)
| When damaging Pokémon
|| "The Sandstorm hits (Enemy) <Pokémon>!"
|| "(Wild/Foe) <Pokémon> is buffeted by the sandstorm!"
|| "(The wild/foe's) <Pokémon> is buffeted by the Sandstorm!"
|| "(The wild/foe's) <Pokémon> is buffeted by the sandstorm!"
|| "(The wild/opposing) <Pokémon> is buffeted by the sandstorm!"'
| When sandstorm ends
|| "The Sandstorm subsided."
|| "The sandstorm subsided."
On the field
- At the end of each turn, damages each Pokémon for 1/16 (⅛ in Generation II) of its maximum HP, unless it is Rock-, Steel-, or Ground-type; has one of the Abilities Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sand Veil, Magic Guard, or Overcoat; or is holding the Safety Goggles.
- Activates the following Abilities: Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sand Veil.
- From Generation IV onward, raises the Special Defense of all Rock-type Pokémon by 50%.
- Changes Weather Ball to a Rock-type move and doubles its power.
- From Generation III onward, causes Solar Beam to have its power halved.
- Causes Moonlight, Synthesis, and Morning Sun to recover ¼ of max HP (half the normal amount in Generation II).
Outside of battle
From Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to Pokémon X and Y, Sweet Scent and Honey will fail if there is a sandstorm in the area, or if any other type of weather is present. In the Generation III games and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Sweet Scent and Honey are unaffected by the weather.
Sand is whipped around by wind, making it difficult to see. Found in Hoenn on Route 111, in Sinnoh on Route 228, and in Unova inside the Desert Resort.
Several sand particles are whipped diagonally across the screen. In Generation V, it is found on Route 4BWW2 and at the entrance to the Desert ResortBWB2W2.
This variation does not create sandstorm weather in battles where it occurs, but the overworld effect resembles a sandstorm. Found in Kalos on Route 13, bits of dust and debris are blown around by a strong wind from the west. Occasionally the wind abates, but whenever it is blowing, it hinders the player's movement westward.
In the anime
- Main article: Sandstorm (move) → In the anime
- Main article: Sand Stream (Ability) → In the anime
In the manga
- Main article: Sandstorm (move) → In the manga
- Main article: Sand Stream (Ability) → In the manga
In other generations
In the overworld
Unused sandstorm weather in FRLG.
- Some lines of unused sandstorm quotes appear within the code of the games. These appear to be weather-triggered quotes from previous games.
In other languages