From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Ryoku (Japanese: リョクシ Ryokushi) is one of the Seven Sages of Team Plasma.
In the games
In Pokémon Black and White, Ryoku is first met in the Relic Castle. He appears on 2F and says that Ghetsis intends to test the player. He later appears with all the other sages (except Ghetsis) at N's Castle, blocking the player's way to N. However, the Unova Gym Leaders appear and clear the way to N. After Ghetsis has been defeated, Ryoku can be found in the Relic Castle, attempting to catch Volcarona to impress Ghetsis. When found, he gives the player TM04 (Calm Mind) and is arrested by Looker.
Ryoku does not appear in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
Pokémon Black and White
- "Ghetsis told us that once again we should test how much power you have. We will see if you can defeat Team Plasma!"
- "Go! Hurry and fall through the flowing sands!"
- "One can lose the forest for the trees."
- "We can only do our best and leave the rest to fate. We've done everything in our power. All we can do now is believe in our lord N...and wait."
- "I was planning to catch the Pokémon called Volcarona that lives in this Relic Castle and present it to Ghetsis. But the Shadow Triad said that Ghetsis has gone somewhere, right?"
- "The Seven Sages... We always said we were complete when the seven of us were together. Now I don't know the meaning of those words anymore. I guess I don't mind, even if we were being used, but the dream is over."
- "I no longer need this. Ghetsis gave it to me, but I have no use for it."
- "This Relic Castle and our own castle are both crumbling... But what's different is that this Relic Castle is the remains of a civilization. And our castle left nothing behind..."
- "Understood. But we don't know much about Ghetsis or our lord N! We haven't even figured out if they are father and son..."
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Ryoku appears as a member of the Seven Sages in the Black & White chapter. Three years prior to the start of the chapter, he is tasked with finding the Sun Pokémon Volcarona and protecting it from humans.
Ryoku first appears alongside the other Sages in Letting Go walking with Ghetsis after the latter gave a speech on releasing Pokémon to the public. In To Make a Musical, Ryoku was shown in front of the Relic Castle with a RageCandyBar in hand, where he was waiting for his Grunts to reunite so that they could enter Relic Castle. As the Grunt he was waiting for had been defeated by Grimsley, Ryoku had no choice but to go inside with the group he already had. He manages to succeed in obtaining Volcarona for Ghetsis, and the Egg it produced was given to one of the Shadow Triad.
After N awakens Zekrom from the Dark Stone, Ryoku and the other sages watch as N attempts to befriend Zekrom and have it join Team Plasma's cause. At the Pokémon League, Team Plasma enacts its plan and summons N's Castle from the depths of the earth to surround the League building. Ryoku and the other Sages emerge from the castle as they watch the chaos unfold. Black attempts to confront them, but Ghetsis easily defeats Black's team. With no way to save the Gym Leaders, stop the Grunts causing havoc below, and face N in battle, Black is assisted by several Trainers that he had met over the course of his journey. The Trainers battle against the sages and rescue the Gym Leaders from the bindings. The Gym Leaders then help battle the sages, but Ryoku and the others eventually escape from the battle without being seen.
|| Mandibuzz ♀
| Mandibuzz was used at the Pokémon League to combat the Trainers helping Black rescue the kidnapped Gym Leaders. When the Gym Leaders were freed, Mandibuzz was left to fight alone with the other sages' Pokémon after the Seven Sages escaped.
None of Mandibuzz's moves are known.
- In Black and White, Ryoku quotes a proverb by Song Dynasty philosopher Hu Yin at N's Castle. In the Japanese version, he also quotes a line from Zhuangzi.
||From 緑色 ryokushoku (green)
||From 緑色 ryokushoku (green)
||From glaukos, Greek for bluish-green
||From viridis, Latin for green
||From verde, green
||From 녹 nok (green)