From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Ani-Manga. For the manga by Toshihiro Ono, see Mewtwo Strikes Back! (manga).
Pokémon the First Movie is a graphic novel published by VIZ Media in North America and Shogakukan in Japan. It is a manga-style book (called "Animation Comics" by VIZ at the time of publication, now branded as "Ani-Manga") which retells the plot of Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pikachu's Vacation using screenshots from the film. Takeshi Shudō and Hideki Sonoda are credited as the authors.
In Japan, the comic was simply published as one bound volume. For the North American release, it was split up into five monthly issues, which were later rereleased in a bound volume. The first four issues tell the story of Mewtwo Strikes Back, while the fifth tells the story of Pikachu's Vacation.
The Pikachu's Vacation comic would later be republished in the All That Pikachu! Ani-Manga.
This book follows the plot of the film of the same name and the Pikachu short Pikachu's Vacation.
- Chapter 1: To The Island of Storms
- Chapter 2: The Ultimate Trainer
- Chapter 3: The Ultimate Poké Ball
- Chapter 4: Mew vs. Mewtwo
- Pikachu's Vacation
VIZ Media issue #1 cover artwork
- Raymond is simply named "Pirate Trainer" in this book.
- On one page in the fourth chapter, Brock and Misty's lines are switched, and thus inconsistent with the movie's dialogue.