From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Professors specializing in Pokémon. For the TCG tournament term, see Professor Program (TCG).
A Pokémon Professor (Japanese: ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is considered an expert on Pokémon in his or her respective region. Pokémon Professors are often researchers as well, and many times they are the ones responsible for distributing Pokédexes and giving the player their first Pokémon. The first Pokémon Professor introduced in the games and anime, Professor Oak, was also the first NPC ever seen in the main series games. He also has made the most appearances in the main series games, appearing in all games but the Hoenn-based ones, the Unova-based ones, and the Kalos-based ones.
Several known Pokémon Professors have had reports published in Pokémon Researchers Monthly, such as "Pokémon adaptive variation as a function of regional distribution" by Professor Ivy and "Challenges facing anthro-Pokémon global co-habitation" by Professor Oak.
In Pokémon X and Y, this is a Trainer class used by Sycamore.
List of Pokémon professors
Others in the core series
- Professor Cozmo, a meteoriticist of Fallarbor Town, Hoenn.
- Fennel of Striaton City, Unova, Professor Juniper's friend who specializes in studying Pokémon Trainers, as well as studying Pokémon dreams.
- Cedric Juniper of the Unova region, Professor Juniper's father who used to be a Pokémon researcher. He studies Pokémon distribution and biology.
- Professor Andrew Park, who runs the Poké Transfer Lab.
- Colress, a researcher who studies Pokémon strength.
- Professor Silktree, mentioned in a note on the PC in the Ruins of Alph in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver as the founder of the Research Center.
- Bugsy, the Gym Leader of Azalea Town's Gym, is not only a Bug-type specialist, but also a researcher of Bug-type Pokemon
Other fields of study
In the anime
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the anime include:
- Dr. Fuji, creator of Mewtwo.
- Professor Westwood V of the Seafoam Islands, Kanto.
- Professor Ivy of the Orange Islands, who studies the regional differences between Pokémon.
- Gary Oak of Pallet Town, Kanto, is a Pokémon researcher known to have researched Fossil Pokémon, successfully resurrecting a living Aerodactyl and researching the habitat of supposedly extinct Shieldon. He has also shown interest in the legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh.
- Dr. Gordon of Saffron City, Kanto, Pokémon inventions specialist.
- Professor Jacuzzi, Gulpin specialist.
- Professor Lund of LaRousse City, Hoenn, the leading authority on Deoxys.
- Professor Kodama, inventor of the "Affinity enabler".
- Dr. Namba, a Team Rocket scientist.
- Dr. Wiseman, a researcher of Shiny Pokémon
- Bugsy is not only a Bug-type specialist, but also a researcher of Bug-type Pokemon
Other fields of Pokémon study
Pokémon computer scientists
Other fields of study
In the manga
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the various manga include:
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Apart from the main Professors of each region, there are also two notable Pokémon researchers, Professor Yanase Berlitz of the Sinnoh region who researched ways to control legendary Pokémon such as Rayquaza, and Mr. Berlitz, her husband. Currently both of them work as Professor Rowan's assistants.
- All core series Professors are named after a type of tree.
In other languages