The Pokémon: Symphonic Evolutions concert tour is coming to Philadelphia on September 19th. We have two sets of concert double-passes to give away to lucky Bulbanews readers!
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming this November! Check BNN and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in our IRC channel.

Phenomenon

From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Phenomena are a game mechanic in Generation V. It is a different means of encountering wild Pokémon, and in some cases items. There are four types of phenomenon: rustling grass, dust clouds, flying Pokémon's shadows, and rippling water. Some Pokémon can only be obtained via this method. Phenomena will only appear after the player has the first Badge.

Phenomena will continue to exist if the player moves off-screen and away from the phenomenon (without leaving the area or room entirely), accesses their game menus, or hatches an Egg. They do not vanish until they are entered, unless the player enters an unrelated battle, picks up a visible item, interacts with an NPC, or exits the area or room entirely. They will also vanish if an NPC steps on it. Only one phenomenon will be in the area at any given time. Saving before entering a phenomenon will not preserve the phenomenon upon reset.

Phenomena are distinguished in-game by audio and visual effects; in most cases, they are named for the visual effect shown on-screen when each phenomenon occurs. The audio of a phenomenon reflects the distance between it and the player: if the player is close, the sound will be louder, and if the player is farther away (such as if the phenomenon is off-screen), the sound will be fainter but will also never stop.

Rustling grass

Rustling grass outside Pinwheel Forest

Rustling grass is a phenomenon that only occurs in tall grass. Rustling grass allows the encounter of a wild Pokémon. Audino can be found in any patch of rustling grass. Various other Pokémon, such as the elemental monkeys in Pinwheel Forest and Lostlorn Forest or evolved forms of Pokémon found in non-rustling grass, can be found in rustling grass, but usually at a lower encounter rate than Audino. This phenomenon does not occur in dark grass, but it does in long grass.

Pokémon Black and White

Possible encounters
Butterfree ButterfreeW Route 12 Beedrill BeedrillB Route 12
Clefable Clefable Giant Chasm (crater forest) Ninetales Ninetales Abundant Shrine
Wigglytuff Wigglytuff Route 14 Crobat Crobat Route 13, Giant Chasm (entrance)
Sunflora Sunflora Route 12 Tyranitar Tyranitar Route 15
Metagross Metagross Giant Chasm (crater forest) Vespiquen Vespiquen Route 12
Mismagius MismagiusW Abundant Shrine Honchkrow HonchkrowB Abundant Shrine
Tangrowth Tangrowth Route 13, Giant Chasm (entrance) Gliscor Gliscor Routes 11, 15
Mamoswine Mamoswine Giant Chasm (crater forest) Stoutland Stoutland Route 10, Cold Storage, P2 Laboratory
Pansage Pansage Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside) Pansear Pansear Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside)
Panpour Panpour Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside) Musharna Musharna Dreamyard
Unfezant Unfezant Routes 6, 7, 12, Dragonspiral Tower, Lostlorn Forest Unfezant Unfezant Routes 6, 7, 12, Dragonspiral Tower, Lostlorn Forest
Audino Audino Routes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18, P2 Laboratory, Dreamyard, Pinwheel Forest, Lostlorn Forest, Dragonspiral Tower, Village Bridge, Giant Chasm and Abundant Shrine Leavanny Leavanny Route 6, Lostlorn Forest
Sawk SawkW Routes 10, 15, 18, Pinwheel Forest (outside) Throh ThrohB Routes 10, 15, 18, Pinwheel Forest (outside)
Lilligant LilligantW Abundant Shrine, Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside) Whimsicott WhimsicottB Abundant Shrine, Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside)
Reuniclus ReuniclusW Route 9 Gothitelle GothitelleB Route 9
Cinccino Cinccino Routes 5, 9, 16, Cold Storage Emolga Emolga Routes 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Abundant Shrine, Dragonspiral Tower, Giant Chasm (entrance), Lostlorn Forest, Village Bridge

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

Possible encounters
Clefable Clefable Giant Chasm Ninetales Ninetales Abundant Shrine
Wigglytuff Wigglytuff Routes 1, 2, Dreamyard Crobat Crobat Dreamyard
Azumarill Azumarill Routes 6, 11, 22, Abundant Shrine, Village Bridge Dunsparce Dunsparce Routes 1, 2, 6, 12, 18, 20, Dreamyard, Floccesy Ranch, Nature Preserve, Victory Road (grove, cave entrance), Village Bridge
Tyranitar Tyranitar Route 15 Shiftry Shiftry Nature Preserve
Slaking Slaking Pinwheel Forest (inside) Delcatty DelcattyW2 Castelia City
Castform Castform Route 6 Metagross Metagross Giant Chasm (crater forest)
Roserade Roserade Route 12, Lostlorn Forest, Victory Road (grove) Vespiquen Vespiquen Route 12, Lostlorn Forest
Lopunny LopunnyB2 Castelia City Magnezone Magnezone P2 Laboratory
Lickilicky Lickilicky Route 2 Tangrowth Tangrowth Route 13, Giant Chasm (entrance)
Yanmega Yanmega Route 3, Pinwheel Forest (outside) Gliscor Gliscor Routes 11, 15, 23
Mamoswine Mamoswine Giant Chasm (crater forest) Patrat Patrat Route 19
Stoutland Stoutland Routes 1, 2, 3, P2 Laboratory Pansage Pansage Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside)
Pansear Pansear Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside) Panpour Panpour Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside)
Musharna Musharna Dreamyard Unfezant Unfezant Routes 3, 6, 7, 12, Dragonspiral Tower, Victory Road (cave entrance)
Unfezant Unfezant Routes 3, 6, 7, 12, Dragonspiral Tower, Victory Road (cave entrance) Audino Audino Routes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23,
Abundant Shrine, Castelia City, Dragonspiral Tower, Dreamyard,
Floccesy Ranch, Giant Chasm, Lostlorn Forest, P2 Laboratory, Pinwheel Forest, Reversal Mountain, Victory Road, Village Bridge, Virbank Complex
Seismitoad Seismitoad Pinwheel Forest (outside) Throh ThrohB2 Routes 15, 18, 23, Pinwheel Forest (outside)
Sawk SawkW2 Routes 15, 18, 23, Pinwheel Forest (outside) Leavanny Leavanny Routes 6, 12, Lostlorn Forest
Scolipede Scolipede Pinwheel Forest (inside) Whimsicott WhimsicottB2 Abundant Shrine, Castelia City, Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside), Victory Road (grove)
Lilligant LilligantW2 Abundant Shrine, Castelia City, Lostlorn Forest, Pinwheel Forest (inside), Victory Road (grove) Cinccino Cinccino Routes 5, 9, 16
Gothitelle GothitelleB2 Route 9 Reuniclus ReuniclusW2 Route 9
Vanilluxe Vanilluxe Dragonspiral Tower, Giant Chasm (entrance) Emolga Emolga Routes 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, Abundant Shrine, Dragonspiral Tower, Lostlorn Forest, Village Bridge
Klinklang Klinklang P2 Laboratory

Dust cloud

A dust cloud in Chargestone Cave

Dust clouds are a phenomenon that only occur in caves. It may reveal held items, evolutionary stones, or wild Drilbur, Excadrill, OnixB2W2, and SteelixB2W2.

Pokémon Black and White

The chance of finding a Drilbur or Excadrill in a dust cloud is 40%. The chance of finding a gem is roughly 50%, while the chance of finding a stone is roughly 10%.

All items may be found in any location, but the Pokémon are only found in certain locations.

Possible encounters
Bag Fire Gem Sprite.png Fire Gem Bag Normal Gem Sprite.png Normal Gem
Bag Water Gem Sprite.png Water Gem Bag Everstone Sprite.png Everstone
Bag Electric Gem Sprite.png Electric Gem Bag Moon Stone Sprite.png Moon Stone
Bag Grass Gem Sprite.png Grass Gem Bag Sun Stone Sprite.png Sun Stone
Bag Ice Gem Sprite.png Ice Gem Bag Fire Stone Sprite.png Fire Stone
Bag Fighting Gem Sprite.png Fighting Gem Bag Water Stone Sprite.png Water Stone
Bag Poison Gem Sprite.png Poison Gem Bag Thunder Stone Sprite.png Thunderstone
Bag Ground Gem Sprite.png Ground Gem Bag Leaf Stone Sprite.png Leaf Stone
Bag Flying Gem Sprite.png Flying Gem Bag Shiny Stone Sprite.png Shiny Stone
Bag Psychic Gem Sprite.png Psychic Gem Bag Dusk Stone Sprite.png Dusk Stone
Bag Bug Gem Sprite.png Bug Gem Bag Dawn Stone Sprite.png Dawn Stone
Bag Rock Gem Sprite.png Rock Gem Bag Hard Stone Sprite.png Hard Stone
Bag Ghost Gem Sprite.png Ghost Gem Bag Oval Stone Sprite.png Oval Stone
Bag Dragon Gem Sprite.png Dragon Gem Drilbur Drilbur
Bag Dark Gem Sprite.png Dark Gem Excadrill Excadrill
Bag Steel Gem Sprite.png Steel Gem

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

Shards can only be found in Relic Passage and Reverse Mountain, and all other items can be found everywhere else dust clouds appear in Unova.
In addition, the Pokémon are only found in certain locations.

Possible encounters
Bag Fire Gem Sprite.png Fire Gem Bag Red Shard Sprite.png Red Shard
Bag Water Gem Sprite.png Water Gem Bag Blue Shard Sprite.png Blue Shard
Bag Electric Gem Sprite.png Electric Gem Bag Yellow Shard Sprite.png Yellow Shard
Bag Grass Gem Sprite.png Grass Gem Bag Green Shard Sprite.png Green Shard
Bag Ice Gem Sprite.png Ice Gem Bag Fire Stone Sprite.png Fire Stone
Bag Fighting Gem Sprite.png Fighting Gem Bag Water Stone Sprite.png Water Stone
Bag Poison Gem Sprite.png Poison Gem Bag Thunder Stone Sprite.png Thunderstone
Bag Ground Gem Sprite.png Ground Gem Bag Leaf Stone Sprite.png Leaf Stone
Bag Flying Gem Sprite.png Flying Gem Bag Moon Stone Sprite.png Moon Stone
Bag Psychic Gem Sprite.png Psychic Gem Bag Sun Stone Sprite.png Sun Stone
Bag Bug Gem Sprite.png Bug Gem Bag Shiny Stone Sprite.png Shiny Stone
Bag Rock Gem Sprite.png Rock Gem Bag Dusk Stone Sprite.png Dusk Stone
Bag Ghost Gem Sprite.png Ghost Gem Bag Dawn Stone Sprite.png Dawn Stone
Bag Dragon Gem Sprite.png Dragon Gem Bag Everstone Sprite.png Everstone
Bag Dark Gem Sprite.png Dark Gem Bag Oval Stone Sprite.png Oval Stone
Bag Steel Gem Sprite.png Steel Gem Onix Onix
Bag Normal Gem Sprite.png Normal Gem Steelix Steelix
Drilbur Drilbur Excadrill Excadrill

Flying Pokémon's shadow

A shadow on the Driftveil Drawbridge

Flying Pokémon's shadows are a phenomenon that only occur on the Driftveil Drawbridge and Marvelous Bridge. They may reveal wings or wild Ducklett (on the Driftveil Drawbridge) and Swanna (on the Marvelous Bridge).

Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2

The chance of encountering a Ducklett or Swanna in a shadow is 20%, while the chance of finding a wing is 80%. If a wing is found, there is a 10% chance it will be a Pretty Wing.

Possible encounters
Ducklett Ducklett Swanna Swanna
Bag Health Wing Sprite.png Health Wing Bag Muscle Wing Sprite.png Muscle Wing
Bag Resist Wing Sprite.png Resist Wing Bag Genius Wing Sprite.png Genius Wing
Bag Clever Wing Sprite.png Clever Wing Bag Swift Wing Sprite.png Swift Wing
Bag Pretty Wing Sprite.png Pretty Wing

Rippling water

Rippling water on Route 11

Rippling water is a phenomenon that only occurs on water tiles. Rippling water allows the encounter of a wild Pokémon when Surfed on or fished in. While Basculin's Red-Striped form is found in Black and Black 2 and its Blue-Striped form found in White and White 2 under normal circumstances, the opposite form can be found in rippling water.

Pokémon Black and White

Possible encounters
(Surfing)
Slowpoke Slowpoke Slowbro Slowbro
Seel Seel Dewgong Dewgong
Staryu Staryu Starmie Starmie
Lapras Lapras Slowking Slowking
Corsola Corsola Mantine Mantine
Wailmer Wailmer Wailord Wailord
Sealeo Sealeo Walrein Walrein
Buizel Buizel Floatzel Floatzel
Basculin BasculinW Basculin BasculinB
Jellicent Jellicent Jellicent Jellicent
Alomomola Alomomola Seismitoad Seismitoad
Stunfisk Stunfisk
Possible encounters
(Fishing)
Poliwhirl Poliwhirl Poliwrath Poliwrath
Shellder Shellder Cloyster Cloyster
Kingler Kingler Seadra Seadra
Goldeen Goldeen Seaking Seaking
Dratini Dratini Dragonair Dragonair
Dragonite Dragonite Chinchou Chinchou
Lanturn Lanturn Politoed Politoed
Qwilfish Qwilfish Octillery Octillery
Kingdra Kingdra Carvanha Carvanha
Sharpedo Sharpedo Barboach Barboach
Whiscash Whiscash Feebas Feebas
Milotic Milotic Huntail HuntailB
Gorebyss GorebyssW Relicanth Relicanth
Luvdisc Luvdisc Lumineon Lumineon
Basculin BasculinW Basculin BasculinB
Stunfisk Stunfisk

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

Possible encounters
(Surfing)
Seel Seel Dewgong Dewgong
Grimer Grimer Muk Muk
Staryu Staryu Starmie Starmie
Lapras Lapras Marill Marill
Azumarill Azumarill Corsola Corsola
Mantine Mantine Wailmer Wailmer
Wailord Wailord Corphish Corphish
Crawdaunt Crawdaunt Sealeo Sealeo
Walrein Walrein Buizel Buizel
Floatzel Floatzel Palpitoad Palpitoad
Seismitoad Seismitoad Basculin BasculinW2
Basculin BasculinB2 Jellicent Jellicent
Jellicent Jellicent Alomomola Alomomola
Stunfisk Stunfisk
Possible encounters
(Fishing)
Poliwhirl Poliwhirl Poliwrath Poliwrath
Grimer Grimer Muk Muk
Shellder Shellder Cloyster Cloyster
Krabby Krabby Kingler Kingler
Horsea Horsea Seadra Seadra
Goldeen Goldeen Seaking Seaking
Magikarp Magikarp Gyarados Gyarados
Dratini Dratini Dragonair Dragonair
Dragonite Dragonite Chinchou Chinchou
Lanturn Lanturn Politoed Politoed
Qwilfish Qwilfish Remoraid Remoraid
Octillery Octillery Kingdra Kingdra
Carvanha Carvanha Sharpedo Sharpedo
Barboach Barboach Whiscash Whiscash
Feebas Feebas Milotic Milotic
Huntail HuntailB2 Gorebyss GorebyssW2
Relicanth Relicanth Luvdisc Luvdisc
Lumineon Lumineon Basculin BasculinW2
Basculin BasculinB2 Stunfisk Stunfisk


Project Games logo.png This game mechanic article is part of Project Games, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon games.