From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Olivia (Japanese: ライチ Lychee) is a character introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon. She is the Kahuna of Akala Island and a member of the Alola Elite Four. She specializes in Rock-type Pokémon. She grants the Akala stamp to Trainers who defeat her.
In the games
In addition to being Akala's Kahuna, Olivia owns a jewelry and accessory store in her hometown of Konikoni City. Despite being chosen as kahuna at such a young age, Olivia maintains that she is just an average girl. The player eventually battles her in the grand trial of the Akala island challenge.
Olivia is later revealed to be one of the Trainers Professor Kukui invited to act as the Elite Four of the Pokémon League of Alola.
Olivia's Pokémon are kept in Ultra Balls.
Grand trial battle
Pokémon League battle
Pokémon League rematch
- Heahea City
- "Still haven't managed to find a shirt that goes with your lab coat, hmm, Kukui?"
- "I've told you you're gonna scare off strangers looking like that..."
- "Why hello there. Nice to meet you all—I'm Olivia."
- "I was on my way to see who was pulling into port and ran into Mallow here while she was out on a delivery."
- "And Mallow isn't the only captain here on Akala Island, of course."
- "So? What's the plan, kids?"
- "Yes...I suppose so."
- "OK, then. Enjoy your time on your island challenge, kids, along with your Pokémon. I'll be waiting for my chance to face you in battle when the time comes."
- "I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got!"
- "Let's go, Mallow."
- Diglett's Tunnel
- "Hmm? Oh, <player>, wasn't it?"
- "This cave really is something, y'know? It's overflowing with these Pokémon called Diglett, and they are getting really out of hand. Mediocre Trainers can't even get through!"
- "So, how's your island challenge going? Let me see which crystals you've earned."
- "Couldn't wait to come see me, hmm? But tackle Brooklet Hill first. It's right past Paniola Town."
- "OK, you're doing all right! How's that Waterium Z working out for you? Judging by how well you and your team get along, I bet you guys can do some real damage with it! OK, <player>, Kiawe's trial is next! Off to Wela Volcano Park you go!"
- "It looks like you've tackled everything but Akala Island's last trial in Lush Jungle! Just relax and have fun with it. Your Pokémon will be happier that way, too."
- Before heading to the Dimensional Research Lab
- "Oh hey, since you're here on Akala... Have you made it out to our Dimensional Research Lab yet? Traveling about for your island challenge is about more than just trials, you know. Have a look around while you're at it."
- After battling Lana, Kiawe and Mallow and visited the Dimensional Research Lab
- "Ooh, look at you, <player>! Nice work! I see you've even passed Mallow's trial. It's about time you had some fun with me! The Diglett have settled down, too. If you are as strong as you appear, you should be able to make it through this cave."
- "At the other end of it, you'll find Konikoni City. That's where my shop is. I'll see you there!"
- Ruins of Life
- "Oh, haven't I seen you with Kukui?"
- "Oh! Sorry, I never even asked your name before, did I? Tapu Lele summoned me here to clean up the ruins."
- "<Player>...thanks for getting to know the people and Pokémon of Alola."
- "All right, then! You've completed the trials of all three captains here on Akala Island. Now you face the grand trial of the kahuna—me! Get ready for your hardest Pokémon battle yet on Akala!"
- Not yet: "Fine! I don't want to win just because you weren't prepared well enough."
- I'd love to!: "Great! We're gonna give you guys everything we've got! And my partners are all adorable, rugged little Rock types!"
- "How lovely."
- "Diamonds only sparkle after coal is pushed to its absolute limit."
- "You guys are the best! Here. The Rock-type Z-Crystal... The Rockium Z is all yours!"
- "The Rock-type Z-Power...you have to move like this to draw it out! Watch carefully, because the hip movement is crucial!"
- "Use it well. The Rock type... It's hard. Sturdy. Rugged and physically strong. So nothing like me at all! I guess opposites really do attract."
- "By the way, Lillie, this might be a weird question, but... Why even come to the Ruins of Life if you're not a Trainer?"
- "You certainly don't see Pokémon like that every day. Tapu Lele may be called the guardian deity of our island, but it can also run wild at times. Regular Pokémon normally avoid the guardians at all costs... Unless they are strong enough to face the tapu themselves, that is."
- "Wait, that can't be right..."
- "I think your journey will hold many surprises. And I hope it holds many joys."
- "I'll take you back to town, Lillie. You're doing everything you can for your partner, even though you're not a Trainer. I like that kind of person, so I can't help but give you a hand!"
- Akala Outskirts
- "Ooh, the Aether Foundation? I'm not sure what he wants with you, <player>, but why not go find out? If you don't want to keep him waiting, then Charizard should get you there in no time. The Hano Grand Resort lies just over the bridge near the Dimensional Research Lab."
- "You're just Hau, right? And what's wrong with that! Who cares if you're Hala's grandson? Now show me what Hau can do!"
- Hano Grand Resort
- "As a kahuna, I look after all the trial-goers who come to my island. They're like my own children. Not that I've got any—I've never even gotten married."
- "Listen up, you two. Your greatest opponent is always yourself. Your greatest allies, the Pokémon beside you."
- Pokémon League
- Upon entering the Rock Chamber
- "Welcome to the Rock Chamber!"
- First battle
- "No introduction needed here. Time to battle me, Olivia!"
- "Really lovely...both you and your Pokémon..."
- "I don't see the same look in your eyes that I saw when we first met on Akala Island. Have you had some experiences that you'll carry with you in your heart forever? Well, it's time for you to move on."
- Upon entering the Hall of Fame for the first time
- "Yup! That's precisely why he/she and his/her Pokémon were able to combine that strength to emerge victorious!"
- Rematch battle
- "I won't be holding back! My Rock-type Pokémon will grind you to dust! Your puny little Pokémon are going to go down in one hit! Hah!"
- "Since you've become Champion, both you and your Pokémon have a certain level of polish."
- "What a spectacular Trainer you are! Now when the children of Alola finish their island challenge, they can visit the Pokémon League to try to become the Champion! The Trainers of Alola will become even stronger!"
- "You should get moving. You still have three more rooms left, right?"
- "Don't stop now. You still have two more rooms left, right?"
- "I'll stay here and wonder why you left me waiting so long for your challenge..."
- "Let me guess...you're the type who likes to save the most delicious bite for the end of the meal?"
- Konikoni City
- "I may be an island kahuna, but I'm also just a regular woman, you know."
- "Hi, can I get a table?"
- "Oh! Well, if it isn't little <player>! Well, as long as we're both here, why don't we sit together, hm? And I'll have whatever he/she is having."
- "This right here! This is it! I may live on my own, but sometimes even I need that familiar taste of home cooking. Dig in, <player>, before it gets cold!"
- "Ah... That was delicious. Maybe it's about time I find someone to cook for myself, huh? Oh! But look at your plate, <player>! You've barely touched a thing! Local flavors not your thing?"
- "This one's on me. I like to see a boy/girl with a good appetite. Here, take these freebie Heart Scales they're giving away."
- "See you around, <player>. I do love a boy/girl with a good appetite!"
In the anime
While not mentioned by name, in The Guardian's Challenge, it is revealed that Kiawe completed Olivia's grand trial and received a Z-Ring from her prior to the start of the Sun & Moon series.
She partially appeared in Young Kiawe Had a Farm! during a flashback, when Kiawe told Ash about how he recieved his Firium Z.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Olivia in Pokémon Adventures
Olivia debuts in the Sun & Moon chapter. She is first seen with her fellow Kahunas, Hala and Nanu, at Malie Garden, where they discuss the sightings of the guardian deities around Alola. They speculate that the normally reclusive guardian deities appearing before people must have been caused by them being angered by something.
Later, at Iki Town, Hala referees a battle between Olivia and Nanu in order to test a stage to be used in an upcoming festival. During the battle, Nanu teases Olivia's inability to get a boyfriend, which angers Olivia into using her Z-Power. When Nanu retaliates with his own Z-Move, Hala interrupts the battle, but not before accidentally getting hit. Embarrassed by her outburst, Olivia apologizes to Hala. The Kahunas decide that they will use the festival to have Alolan youths battle against each other. The strongest participants will travel around Alola's four islands, imitating the island challenge, in order to calm the guardian deities' rage.
When the festival begins, Olivia is tasked with determining the placement of the participants of the festival tournament. She is assisted by Moon, who writes down the placement of each participant based on the number on the packaging of the malasada they receive. After going through several partcipants, Olivia and Moon encounter Lillie, a girl who was entered in the tournament due to a misunderstanding. When Lillie tries to explain the situation, Nebby escapes from Lillie's bag and runs off. While Moon and Lillie chase after Nebby to Mahalo Trail, Olivia goes off to inform Hala. After returning, Olivia witnesses Moon and Nebby being rescued from falling into the water by Tapu Koko. Afterward, Lillie reveals that she was entered in the tournament as a mistake due to Nebby trying to escape from her bag at the wrong moment. Olivia offers to have Lillie withdrawn from the tournament, but Moon decides to take Lillie's place instead.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Olivia in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
|| ライチ Lychee
|| From lychee
|| From Alyxia oliviformis and possibly olivine
| French, Italian
|| From Alyxia oliviformis
| German, Spanish
|| From maile (Hawaiian for Alyxia oliviformis)
|| 라이치 Raichi
|| Transliteration of Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 麗姿 / 丽姿 Lìzī
|| From 荔枝 lìzhī (lychee)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 麗姿 Laihjī
|| From 荔枝 laihjī (lychee)
|| Оливия Oliviya
|| Transcription of English name