From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Professor Cedric Juniper (Japanese: アララギ博士 Dr. Araragi) is Professor Juniper's father. He used to be a Pokémon researcher. According to Bianca, he specializes in Pokémon distribution and biology.
In the games
In Pokémon Black and White, Professor Cedric Juniper first meets the player in Mistralton City with Skyla, who has just flown in from another region. Upon meeting the player, he upgrades their Pokédex. He is next seen in Icirrus City, where he gives the player the Old Gateau. He is then seen in Nacrene City with Lenora, Bianca, and some other NPCs. He is not seen again until after the player defeats N and Ghetsis. Once the player has met Looker and gone outside, he approaches the player and upgrades their Pokédex to the National mode.
In Black 2 and White 2, he will upgrade the player's Pokédex to the National mode as he did in the previous games. He can be found at his daughter's laboratory in Nuvema Town, where he will provide a count of Pokémon caught in the National Pokédex. On the player's first visit, he will give the player a Super Rod.
- Mistralton City
- "Oh! Hey! <Player>, right? Let me see your Pokédex for a moment. What do we have here? So, you've found <number> Pokémon, eh? Staggering! You've seen a Klink! You're becoming quite the Trainer. Excuse me! I was a little excited and forgot my manners. My name is Juniper, too! Cedric Juniper. Heh! The professor who gave you the Pokédex is my daughter! That girl has told me a lot about you. It really makes my day to meet you! In honor of our meeting, I'm going to upgrade your Pokédex! Some Pokémon can change forms even when it's the same individual. If you have already seen a form, you can check it with this whenever you want. I also added a function to make searching easier."
- "Oh! I forgot my introductions! Skyla, this is a friend of my daughter's. <Player> is traveling around Unova to complete the Pokédex."
- "That's right, <player>. You should challenge this Gym! If nothing else, this Gym is really out there! See you, Skyla. If something comes up again, I'll let you know!"
- "Aww, Skyla. If you keep frowning, your face might freeze like that, and that'd be a shame. People and Pokémon, we all have to help each other out! See you later!"
- Icirrus City
- "Hello, <player>! How is <lead Pokémon>? Ah! This <lead Pokémon> has really taken a shine to you. The Pokédex is important, but time spent having fun together is also important. Say, I just had a thought--have you heard of Dragonspiral Tower?"
- Yes: "Really? Quite impressive."
- No: "Eh... I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it."
- "OK. Give this story a listen. Dragonspiral Tower is said to be the Unova region's oldest building. Stories say it's the place where legendary Pokémon came to life or where they remain in deep slumber. I know it's just past Icirrus City, but that's all I know about it. That's all anyone knows, because no one has ever been inside. My daughter has wanted to investigate that tower for a long time. "What! There's something I don't know?!" That kind of feeling is pure adventure. And I'm not too old for some adventuring. Away I go to have a look at Dragonspiral Tower! Catch you later!"
- Dragonspiral Tower
- "That building serenely towering over everything is Dragonspiral Tower. From far in the past, before Unova was founded, it still stands tall today. On the top floor, so it's been told, the legendary Pokémon is waiting for a person pursuing idealsB/seeking the truthW to appear."
- "Oh, <player>! And you must be Bianca. I'm the other Professor Juniper. The Professor Juniper who gave you the Pokédex is my daughter."
- "Is that right? Grand, grand. Actually, we should chat later. <Player>, Bianca, here's the situation. Some members of Team Plasma--quite a large group--broke through the tower wall and went inside. Brycen and that young man--I believe his name is Cheren--the two of them went after Team Plasma, but..."
- "Ha! I guess you would be curious. Well, I'll explain briefly. Dragonspiral Tower has stood tall since long before Unova was founded. On the top floor, the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon waits for a person pursuing idealsB/seeking truthW to appear... That's what is said. Are you going to go after Team Plasma like your friend did? It's admirable of you to join the fight against Team Plasma, but it's risky, too."
- "Why, thank you! That makes me feel much safer! Well, <player>! It's up to you! Climb the tower!"
- "This is all I can give you, but it might help you rest!"
- "Still... What could Team Plasma be after?"
- After N obtains ZekromB/ReshiramW
- "Astounding... I never would have imagined the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon would return now..."
- "Why, if it isn't Alder! It's been a while! Have you been well?"
- "Right... Moreover, the boss of Team Plasma, N, who reawakened ZekromB/ReshiramW, apparently said to look for the other Pokémon, ReshiramB/ZekromW."
- "I see. We'll leave that to you. I'm going to investigate inside the tower. Hopefully, I'll find something."
- "Maybe I should have my daughter look into when this tower was built. If you want someone to investigate the origin of Pokémon, she's the best."
- Nacrene City
- "Surely... When I investigated Dragonspiral Tower, I found elements that were dated to the same era as this Light StoneB/Dark StoneW!"
- "... So how do we wake the Dragon-type Pokémon from the stone, then?"
- "Hey, <player>. Never forget that you always have Pokémon right by your side."
- Nuvema Town
- "Oh! Well, this is nice timing! I see you're all here! Just a moment ago, I got some National Pokédex data from an acquaintance. Since you're here, let's upgrade your Pokédex with the National Pokédex data. I'm sure you'll be visiting a wider range of places, Naturally, that means you'll be encountering more Pokémon. Let me see your Pokédex for a sec!"
- "There you go, Bianca!"
- "Next up is Cheren!"
- "And last, but not least..."
- "You can now switch your Pokédexes to National Mode Pokédex. Completing the National Pokédex will surely be a big challenge. So, take your time, enjoy yourselves, and meet lots of Pokémon."
- Aspertia City
- "Oh, so you're <player>! My name's Juniper! The one who gave you your Pokédex is my daughter!"
- "Has it been that long? I can't remember... Well, that's not really why I came."
- "<player>! To commemorate your entering the Hall of Fame, I'm going to upgrade your Pokédex!"
- "I'll tell you what I upgraded, so why don't you ask? Well, actually, it's really simple! I made it so you can register all of the National Pokédex Pokémon."
- "Ha ha ha! Flattery won't get you anywhere! Well then, think I'd best be taking my leave! Listen up! There are still many, many Pokémon in this world! Sometimes Pokémon attack each other for food. Sometimes they help one another. They protect each other's places. I'd be happy if you think about things like that while looking at the Pokédex."
- Nuvema Town
- "Hey, <player>! Are you meeting lots of Pokémon? There really are lots of Pokémon in the Unova region and the rest of the world! I made the Habitat List so people would know that! I'll bet you're here because... You're here to show me how your Pokédex is coming along, right?"
- "Oh, that's right! I completely forgot to give this to you in Aspertia! Here, this is the Super Rod!"
- "With this Super Rod, you can even catch Pokémon who live underwater! Here, I'll read you the directions. First... Face the water and cast! Second... Con-cen-trate! When a Pokémon bites, you'll see a "!" That means start reeling in! So cool!"
- Dragonspiral Tower
- "We still don't know anything about it. Could the Dragonspiral Tower somehow symbolize ideals? Could it somehow represent truth?"
- "So you came here as well!"
- "It was two years ago... In this tower, a certain man and a certain Pokémon came face-to-face. This man pursued his idealsB2/sought the truthW2 so he could change the world."
- "That's right. This building rising serenely into the sky is the Dragonspiral Tower. It has towered over this land since before Unova was founded. On the highest floor, the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon was waiting for the appearance of a person seeking his or her idealsB2/the truthW2... It was exactly how the legends said it would be..."
- "Ah! The DarkB2/LightW2 Stone! If that's the case, you must be headed to the top floor. Changing the world... That's an outrageous idea, but it is possible to change yourself. ...As long as you pursue your idealsB2/seek the truthW2. My! That conversation sure took a serious turn! Maybe something light and sweet would help balance things out!"
- "Be seeing you!"
Note: Cedric evaluates only National Pokédex. Event Pokémon count towards evaluation, unless noted otherwise. The same quotes exist in both Black and White and Black 2 and white 2.
- "Hey, <player>! So you're here to show me how your Pokédex is coming along, right?"
- No: "Oh, really... If you want me to have a look at your Pokédex, come here again!"
- Yes: "I see! You've caught <number> Pokémon, then... <evaluation quote>"
- "Nationally, there are more than 600 Pokémon! You'll have to be persistent and catch them at your own pace."
- "First, you might want to revisit places you've already been. Retrace your steps in the Unova region and see what new Pokémon turn up!"
- "Remember Rule No. 1! To catch a Pokémon, you first have to reduce its HP. You're pretty good at this now, but don't forget the basics!"
- "Are you going to the Day Care? I've heard that some Pokémon can only be caught if they are hatched from Eggs.
- "Do you have a fishing rod? There are many Pokémon that live in the water. Try searching rivers and oceans!"
- "Do you know the move False Swipe? False Swipe always leaves a tiny bit of the targeted Pokémon's HP. It's great for catching, because it doesn't make them faint!"
- "Do you know the move Mean Look? If you use Mean Look on a Pokémon, it can't run away!"
- "There are several ways for Pokémon to evolve. Some Pokémon even evolve through friendship!"
- "Have you heard of mass outbreaks? Big groups of Pokémon appear during a mass outbreak. It's a great chance to catch them!"
- "You've caught more than 400 different Pokémon?! That's incredible! You're an amazing Trainer!"
- "Apparently, some Pokémon evolve when they are leveled up in a certain area."
- "You've caught 500 different Pokémon... My, the variation of these beings called Pokémon certainly is surprising! And the fact that you've caught so many different kinds... That's pretty surprising, too!'
- "Have you been to the Poké Transfer Lab on Route 15? Mastering a facility like that is an accomplishment for a Pokémon Trainer."
- "Just a little more until you complete your Pokédex, huh? Catching this many Pokémon must mean... You really like Pokémon, don't you!"
- "Oh! That's a wonderful Pokédex. How about it? Would you research Pokémon with me?"
- 630-648 (at least one non-event Pokémon is missing*)
- "Oh! Just a little more until your Pokédex is complete! Make sure you go after the roaming Pokémon and trade with friends to get the ones you're missing!"
- 636-649 (all non-event Pokémon caught)
- This blows me away! It's so wonderful, I'm at a loss for words. You... You've accomplished something truly outstanding. Filling up the National Pokédex makes you a Trainer among Trainers! I'm so happy I was able to meet a fantastic Trainer like you! I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
In the anime
Cedric Juniper in the anime
Cedric Juniper made his anime debut at the end of Evolution Exchange Excitement!, where he stumbled out of Chargestone Cave and fainted out of hunger. In the next episode, his daughter gave him some food to eat and he regained his strength. She also returned his pen which she found lodged in a Klinklang's gears in the previous episode. Professor Juniper told Ash and his friends that her father studied the origins of legendary Pokémon like Reshiram and Zekrom. He then said that he believed he had discovered the cave where the Black Hero had met Zekrom. He was planning to go back and Ash begged if he and his friends could come along. He agreed and lead the way to the ruins.
Cedric has a tendency to pause in the middle of his sentences, which led to some miscommunication between him and the kids. For instance, when Ash asked to go with him to the ruins, he responded with: "I never...", which led everyone into saying that he declined the offer. After which he continued his sentence with: "...refuse bright young folks". This later caused problems avoiding the traps inside the ruins. He also enjoyed withholding information from the kids so that the experience could be more adventurous for them.
When the group came upon the "Golden Dark Stone", in the center of the ruins, Cedric told Ash that it must be kept in place. However, the excitement of the situation overcame the professor and he took the stone while the others weren't looking. Because of this, they were driven to the deepest part of the ruins by Cofagrigus which was just what he had hoped for. He discovered that it was the bottom of the ruins where the Black Hero had communicated with Zekrom. Cedric later found the exit to the cave and put the Golden Dark Stone back in its place. Cofagrigus and Sigilyph were still angry about the Golden Dark Stone being taken and Cofagrigus sent him, Ash, Iris, and Cilan high in the air with Telekinesis before letting them go to plummet to the ground. The professor said that if they were able to link their hearts to the Pokémon, they would be saved and he was correct. He later discovered that all the paths they took in the ruins came out in the shape of a Zekrom which confirmed that they were indeed the ruins of the Black Hero.
After the group left the ruins, Cedric said that he would stay behind and continue to do his research in the area and the group said their goodbyes to him.
He reappeared in New Places... Familiar Faces!, making a call to his daughter, who was visited by Ash, Iris and Cilan. He told them that he had made some interesting discoveries about the White Ruins near Icirrus City, to which Ash and his friends decided they would go and visit him and hear about his research.
He was seen again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!, excavating at the White Ruins, unaware that he was being watched by a couple of Team Plasma Grunts.
He appeared again in Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!, Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony!, and What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, where he witnessed the climax of Team Plasma's plot to summon and take control of Reshiram. He and his assistants spent most of the event captured by Team Plasma after Colress used a machine to take control of his assistants' Pokémon, but he was eventually freed by Cilan's Crustle.
In the manga
Cedric Juniper in Pokémon Adventures
Cedric Juniper appears in a flashback of Black, Cheren, and Bianca's childhood. He is seen discussing the creation of a new Pokédex with a reporter. It is his statement that the young people should go out on an adventure to fill the Pokédex with information about Pokémon, that inspires Black to try to get his attention so he can set out on a Pokémon journey. When his daughter began her work on fixing Cheren and Bianca's Pokédexes, he arrived to help her. He noted that Team Plasma had done something a year ago.
He later encounters Iris and tells her about the three legendary Pokémon, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. He finds Black in person facing the three Pokémon in an attempt to capture them. After they escape with some Pokémon stolen from two Trainers, he explains to Black about how they don't trust humans. With these words, Black manages to track the three down and convince them to return the stolen Pokémon and leave. After Bianca's Pokédex is fixed, Cedric is tasked with delivering it to her. However, Bianca chooses to be Professor Juniper's assistant, so she hands her Pokédex over to White instead.
When N attempts to leave after defeating Alder, Cedric steps in and stops his escape with his Samurott. He tells Black and White that they have to team up and defeat N with their Pokémon so he will reveal where the kidnapped Gym Leaders are kept. During the battle, Cedric reveals that on N's first day as Team Plasma's king, he went into Cedric's lab and stole the three starter Pokémon he had set up for new Trainers. While the Snivy went to N before becoming White's Serperior, Amanda, and the Tepig would be found by White and named Gigi, the Oshawott that stayed with him eventually evolved into a Samurott. Despite their efforts, N manages to escape.
During Black's final battle with N, Cedric decides to assist alongside Looker and Leo. He upgrades Black's Pokédex with information on Zekrom and Reshiram, which allowed Black to win the battle.
| Oshawott → Dewott → Samurott
| Samurott was originally an Oshawott that was intended to be given to starting Trainers by Cedric along with the ones given by his daughter. N liberated the other two Pokémon—one of which ended up with White—while it stayed with Cedric and eventually evolved. It appeared with Cedric when he came to help Black and White fight against N. Together with Black's Bo and White's Amanda, they managed to defeat N, only for him to escape. During the final battle against N, Samurott was used against N's Zekrom alongside Looker's Croagunk and Leo's Deino.
None of Samurott's moves are known.
|| At Liberty on Liberty Garden
|| Snivy ♀
- Main article: Amanda (Adventures)
Snivy was one of the three Pokémon that was supposed to be given to new Trainers. However, N came into the lab and liberated the Pokémon. N took the Snivy, while the Tepig ran away. The Snivy eventually evolved, and ended up with White.
|| The Case of the Missing Pokémon
|| Tepig ♀
- Main article: Gigi
Tepig was one of the three Pokémon that was supposed to be given to new Trainers. However, N came into the lab and liberated the Pokémon. Tepig ran away while Oshawott stayed with Cedric and Snivy went to N. Later, the Tepig was found by White and named Gigi.
|| Lights, Camera, Action
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
Cedric Juniper in Pocket Monsters BW
Cedric Juniper has appeared in the Pocket Monsters BW manga.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Cedric Juniper in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
|| アララギ博士 Dr. Araragi
|| From アララギ araragi, Japanese yew, or wild rocambole (old name).
|| Cedric Juniper
|| From cedar and juniper, both plants in the Cupressaceae family.
|| Spruce Keteleeria
|| From spruce and keteleeria.
|| Eberhard Esche
|| From Esche, Ash.
|| Gasparago Aralia
|| From aralia.
|| Carrasco Encina
|| From carrasco and encina, both words for Holm Oak.
|| 주누운박사 Ju Nu'un-baksa
|| From 주목 (朱木) jumok, Japanese yew. His first name, 누운, possibly comes from the Korean word for "reclining".
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 紅豆杉博士 Dr. Hóngdòushān
|| May be derived from 東北紅豆杉 Dōngběi hóngdòushān (Japanese yew). By itself, 紅豆杉 Hóngdòushān refers to the Chinese yew.