From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Courtney (Japanese: カガリ Kagari) is one of the Magma Admins of Team Magma in the Generation III games.
In the games
In Pokémon Sapphire and Pokémon Emerald, she makes only one cameo, at Seafloor Cavern, alongside Maxie and Tabitha. She does not have an active role in the storyline and cannot be battled.
In Pokémon Ruby, the player confronts her twice: the first time she raids the Weather Institute to steal a Castform and then she assists Maxie at the Seafloor Cavern. Aqua Admin Shelly fulfills the role that Courtney has in Ruby.
- "Ahahahaha! You're going to meddle in Team Magma's affairs? You're either absolutely fearless, simply ignorant, or both! You're so cute, you're disgusting! I'll put you down, kiddy!"
- "Ahahahaha! You're disgustingly strong!"
- "Ahahahaha! We got meddled with unexpectedly! We're out of options. We'll have to pull out. But this isn't the last you'll see of Team Magma! We have other plans! Don't you forget it!"
- "Ahahahaha! How did you manage to get here without a submarine? What an impressive child! But... It won't do to have you meddling about here. And, I do want payback for what happened at the Weather Institute... I'm going to give you a little taste of pain! Resign yourself to it!"
- "Ahahahaha! Ouch!"
- "Ahahahaha! You're so darn strong. It's terribly disappointing that you're not a Team Magma member. You could have enjoyed the fabulous world our Boss has promised to one of our own..."
| Sprite from
| Overworld sprite from|
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Courtney, known as Marge in the Chuang Yi translation, is one of the Three Fires—Admins of Team Magma—along with Tabitha and Blaise. Like all of the Three Fires, Courtney has a special lighter that can transmit and record images by burning them on paper. In addition to her lighter, her gloves usually contain mixture of certain Berry juices that carries different properties, including spicy (volume 16), cohesive (volume 18) and corrosive (volume 20). Courtney's specialty is direct Fire-type attacks.
Courtney inviting Ruby to join Team Magma
She first appears in Adding It Up with Plusle & Minun II, when Ruby and Sapphire were traveling along Route 107 and encountered Courtney and Tabitha. The two Magma Admins were trying to steal a deep sea scanner from the wreckage of the Abandoned Ship. In Going to Eleven with Loudred & Exploud II, Courtney attacked Rusturf Tunnel, looking for the Red Orb. She encountered Ruby again there, and offered the boy a position on Team Magma. Ruby refused and was able to defeat Courtney, leaving her badly burned. Later, when the Three Fires took off with three Gym Leaders to face off in battle, Courtney's opponent was Roxanne.
In The Final Showdown I, when Ruby went alone to defeat Groudon and Kyogre with the Red and Blue Orbs, Courtney joins forces with him. After saving him from both Groudon and Kyogre, she was snatched into the Cave of Origin by Archie's Tentacruel. She managed to pass him her lighter with her bubblegum and a mixture of Berry juice. On the lighter was information about Ruby's own father Norman, and an admission that she had wanted to be friends with Ruby ever since they met at Rusturf Tunnel. It is revealed through a flashback that when she was younger, Courtney was friends with Daisy Oak and participated in Pokémon Contests.
Courtney was killed when the Cave of Origin collapsed on her but was later brought back to life by Celebi. She is last seen cultivating Berries as she did when she was younger.
The following are Courtney's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
|| カガリ Kagari
|| From 篝火 kagaribi, bonfire.
|| From country, an area of land.
| Marge (Chuang Yi)
|| From magma and possibly match.
|| Same as English name.
|| From Jörð, personification of Earth in Norse mythology.
|| From rosso, red.
|| From calor, heat.
|| 구열 Guyeol
|| From 구화 (篝火) guhwa (bonfire), 열 (熱) yeol (heat), and 열 (烈) yeol (fiery).
| Chinese (Taiwan)
|| 篝火 Gōuhuǒ
|| Literally means bonfire.
| Chinese (Mainland China)
|| 火雁 Huǒyàn
|| Alternate reading of かがり kagari. Also a homophone to 火焰 huǒyàn (flame).