From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| This Pokémon is fully evolved.
Lucario (Japanese: ルカリオ Lucario) is a playable character in the Super Smash Bros. series.
Lucario can be unlocked by either playing 100 matches, completing all five target smashes with a single character, or recruiting him in the Subspace Emissary. His home stage is Spear Pillar.
Lucario is a character with a unique mechanic - the vast majority of its attacks use aura to damage opponents. Aura attacks get smaller and weaker when Lucario is at low damage, while they get larger and stronger at high damage - a fresh Lucario will only be doing 0.7x damage, while one at 170% or above will be doing 1.4x damage. Aura is also stronger when Lucario is losing the match, and weaker when it is ahead. This makes Lucario the ultimate risk-reward character, encouraging close matches and come-from-behind victories.
Aside from the aura mechanic, Lucario has relatively fast attacking speed and above-average maneuverability. Its floatiness in the air is complimented by a solid set of aerial attacks, which put together provide it with a varied set of options for approaching or defending, and it can both wall jump and wall cling for additional movement and recovery. On the ground, Lucario's movement and attacks are slower than average.
Lucario first appears meditating on the top of Glacial Peak, where he duels Meta Knight. The player can choose to be either character, with a different cutscene showing if one wins and another if the other does, with the winner reviving the loser from their trophy state. After that, Lucario joins the main party, and goes with Snake and Meta Knight throughout the next level. Lucario teams up with Snake and Meta Knight in order to battle Peach and Zelda, who have been consumed by Subspace bugs. Once they are defeated, Lucario and the others must battle a giant robot atop the Halberd. After that, Lucario and the others meet up with the rest of the heroes and proceed to the Subspace World. After traveling through it, all of the heroes, including Lucario, are turned back into trophies by Tabuu. However, he is later revived by Luigi, Ness, King Dedede and Kirby. Lucario, along with the other characters, go through the Great Maze and defeat Tabuu, saving the world.
Codec information (on Shadow Moses Island)
- Mei Ling: "You're fighting Lucario, aren't you, Snake?"
- Snake: "Mei Ling, what's that purple fire coming out of his hands?"
- Mei Ling: "That's his 'Aura'."
- Snake: "Aura?"
- Mei Ling: "I guess you could call it his life force. Lucario can use his own Aura and turn it into power. Every time Lucario's damage increases, his aura gains strength, making his attacks more powerful. So don't think you've got him beat just because his health is down."
- Snake: "The cornered rat will bite the cat... Sounds like trouble."
- Mei Ling: "Hey! When did you become so good with proverbs?!"
- Snake: "You must have rubbed off on me."
- Mei Ling: "Well, come back in one piece, and I'll teach you all the Chinese proverbs you can handle."
Lucario using its Final Smash
An Aura Pokémon. It can track energy called Aura, which is given off by all living creatures. It's a unique combination of both Fighting and Steel-type Pokémon. Lucario evolves from Riolu during the day if its happiness has reached its maximum point. It specializes in attacks that use Aura energy, like Dark Pulse and a can't-miss technique, Aura Sphere.
Lucario's Final Smash. After flying off the screen, Lucario reappears in its center. It then launches a powerful Aura attack against all foes within a certain distance. The key to this attack is the ability to change its angle--it's a must sweep slowly left and right to hit selected enemies multiple times. The last blow will send the victim flying away.
- The mechanic of Lucario's attack power being dependent on his current damage does not exist within the core series, though it is similar to the move Reversal or the Abilities Guts and Anger Point (although Lucario is incapable of possessing said Abilities).
Lucario's palette swaps in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- For more information on this Pokémon's species, see Lucario.