From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Generation IV version. For the Generation II version, see List of Pokémon by New Pokédex number.
region's Pokédex (Generation IV)
This is a list of Pokémon in the order dictated by the Johto regional Pokédex, meaning that the starter Pokémon from Johto will appear first, followed by Pokémon native to the Johto region.
The original New Pokédex was dropped for HeartGold and SoulSilver, which alter the Generation II version of the Johto Pokédex slightly, moving some Pokémon down the list to add a select few Pokémon that evolve from Generation I and II Pokémon by the method of learning a move (specifically Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Lickilicky, Yanmega, and Ambipom). However, up to #101 (Yanma), the order is the same as that of the New Pokédex, after which it diverges starting with #102 (Yanmega).
List of Pokémon by Johto Pokédex number
#001 - #051 Chikorita - Arbok
#052 - #100 Dunsparce - Nidoking
#101 - #150 Yanma - Tauros
#151 - #201 Miltank - Donphan
#202 - #256 Mantine - Celebi
- Unlike its Generation II counterpart, which contained all the Pokémon of its time, this Pokédex listing is a true regional Pokédex, excluding Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon families.
- The five Pokémon added to the New Pokédex to create this listing (Ambipom, Lickilicky, Yanmega, Tangrowth, and Mamoswine) all evolve from their previous forms (which were included in the New Pokédex) when leveled up knowing a certain move. As these moves can be learned by the Pokémon at any point in the game, and not just after the National Pokédex is obtained, these Pokémon would otherwise display their Pokédex numbers as "???" despite evolving from a Pokémon with one (as the game displays regional Pokédex numbers in the status screen before the National Pokédex is obtained). All other Pokémon related to Pokémon found in this Pokédex (both baby forms and new evolutions) require a certain item to obtain them from their Johto Pokédex relative, which is able to be restricted to areas unreachable before the National Pokédex is obtained.
- It is unknown why this was done: in FireRed and LeafGreen, a Pokémon which would evolve into a Pokémon outside of the Kanto Pokédex was automatically stopped from doing so, most notably in the examples of Golbat and Chansey, though any Pokémon which evolves into a Pokémon not introduced in Generation I will be prevented from evolving, including Generation II and Generation III Pokémon hacked into the game (Generation II Pokémon that become Generation I Pokémon by evolving, however, are still allowed to evolve). This is also possibly because FireRed and LeafGreen locked out trading with non-Kanto games and disallowed trading of non-Kanto Pokémon until the Ruby and Sapphire were collected and the National Pokédex obtained, respectively. Possibly because this was viewed by many as a cumbersome task preventing players from raising their favorite Pokémon, it was dropped from HeartGold and SoulSilver.
- It is also possible to acquire some Pokémon from outside the Johto Pokédex before the National Pokédex is obtained from the PokéWalker.
- Due to containing the five Generation IV evolutions of Tangela, Lickitung, Aipom, Yanma, and Piloswine, the Johto Pokédex is the only Pokédex of a region that contains Pokémon of a generation after the generation the region itself was introduced, rather than just ones of its own generation (Kanto, Old Unova) or ones of its own and past generations (Hoenn, Sinnoh, New Unova, Kalos).