From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
"Looker" (Japanese: ハンサム Handsome) is the codename for an International Police officer who travels the world investigating various villainous teams. He was introduced in Pokémon Platinum as an International Police officer investigating Team Galactic.
In the games
The player meeting Looker in Pokémon Platinum
In Pokémon Platinum, Looker is an important character, encountering the player multiple times over their journey across Sinnoh. He speaks with odd grammatical constructs, implying that he is not a native speaker of the national language; however, this is not present in the Japanese version. He first meets the player in Jubilife City, giving them the Vs. Recorder, and appears often when Team Galactic is near. His motives are clear: his mission is to stop Team Galactic from causing havoc in the Sinnoh region. He is then met again at the Valley Windworks, right after Team Galactic flees from the area. Disappointed in just missing them, he searches the area for clues, which leads him somehow to the Team Galactic Eterna Building, where Team Galactic have kidnapped Rad Rickshaw's Pokémon. Looker infiltrates the building by disguising himself as a Team Galactic Grunt.
The player next encounters Looker at the Veilstone Game Corner, if one decides to look there. If not, then he will appear after the player and Lucas/Dawn battle the Galactic Grunts in front of the Galactic Warehouse. He leads the player into the warehouse and realize that the inner door is locked. He also finds HM02 (Fly), leaving the player to take it.
Looker will appear once the player goes to Team Galactic HQ and talks to the Grunt outside. He will reveal that he has the Storage Key and will tell the player to meet him in the Galactic Warehouse. Once there, he will open the door and go down to investigate.
Inside the headquarters, he will not be seen until the player reaches the meeting room, where he is seen eavesdropping on a gathering of members of Team Galactic. He will tell the player to listen to their meeting with him. When it is over, he will leave again.
Later, he gives the player a Black Flute when they are about to go off to the Spear Pillar.
When Cyrus retreats into the Distortion World, Looker shifts his investigation towards Charon, who has taken control of the team. This is because Looker stumbles upon Charon's notes of his plans back at the Team Galactic HQ. He is not seen again until after the player defeats the Elite Four, when they journey to Stark Mountain. Here he is seen in the final stages of his investigation, arresting Charon and ending Team Galactic's reign of terror once and for all.
After this, he can be found in the Veilstone Game Corner. He mentions that he wants to spend his remaining time in Sinnoh to teach new moves to his Pokémon.
Looker is shown to be quite good at disguising himself. His prime disguise is that of a Team Galactic grunt. At Stark Mountain, before he apprehends Charon, he disguises himself as a smashable rock.
In Black and White
Looker is found in Pokémon Black and White, where he is assigned to capture the Seven Sages of Team Plasma after the events at N's Castle.
He first meets the player at their home in Nuvema Town, after the player defeats Team Plasma at N's Castle. He appears disguised as the player's Mom, only to realize that he forgot to remove his disguise. He asks for the player's assistance in finding the Seven Sages, and gives the player a Super Rod.
Looker will appear upon finding each sage to take him into custody. After apprehending the final sage, Looker tells the player that N was seen in a distant land with a dragon Pokémon.
In X and Y
Looker has traveled to the Kalos region on an assignment to find and arrest Xerosic but keeps his affiliation with the International Police a secret from the player, introducing himself as a detective recently located to Lumiose City. The player first meets him after receiving an invitation to come to Looker Bureau over the Holo Caster, the first time they enter Lumiose City after upgrading the Mega Ring. Looker signs the player on as his assistant in his fight for justice, and the two begin taking on cases together. During their first case, he meets a homeless young girl named Emma and her Espurr named Mimi, whom he decides to take under his wing. He becomes a father-figure to the girl, but because of their poor living conditions, Emma feels she is a burden to Looker and decides to look for a job to help support him. She finds a job at Lysandre Café and her employer turns out to be none other than Xerosic, who uses Emma as a test subject for a special suit that has a cloaking device and can power up any Pokémon the user has. Xerosic remotely controls the suit and makes Emma commit various crimes (although she is completely unaware of what she is doing). Looker and the player manage to rescue her, and Looker arrests Xerosic and leaves Kalos. He leaves a letter with Mimi that reveals his real position as a member of the International Police, and that he has paid for the property in full so that Emma may continue to call the bureau home, and use it however she pleases. He also transfers his codename 'Looker' to the player character (this is merely a story point and has no impact on the gameplay).
In these games, his strange style of speech is significantly scaled back. It is also strongly suggested that his Croagunk was killed during a case sometime in the past.
In Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Looker appears in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in the Battle Resort. He suffers from amnesia due to an unknown reason. He is washed up shore, and is soaking wet when the player found him. A woman brought him to her cottage to dry himself up. At the cottage, he gives the player the Audinite.
In Sun and Moon
After the player defeats the Elite Four, Looker appears with his superior, Anabel to investigate the Ultra Beasts, having received orders from the International Police. To this end, he collaborates with the player to capture the Beasts and prevent them from wreaking havoc. Looker is tasked with evacuating citizens as he does not have any Pokémon, and he frequently shows concern for Anabel as she becomes exhausted over the missions.
It is revealed that Looker once worked under Nanu, Kahuna of Ula'ula Island, while the latter was a member of the International Police, under the code name 100kr. Looker explains that Anabel was discovered in an amnesiac state after passing through an Ultra Wormhole, and volunteered to join the International Police; the purpose of her visit is to use her as bait to draw out the Ultra Beasts, as they are drawn to the energy she picked up from the Ultra Wormhole. Looker considers the plan distasteful as it reminds him of a similar case he worked on with Nanu, and thus seeks to ensure Anabel's safety whenever he can.
| Although he does not battle with or against the player at all during the entirety of the game, it is known that he has a Croagunk. He uses it to get the Magma Stone from Charon at Stark Mountain.
In Pokémon X and Y, it is said that his Pokémon was killed, but it is not specified whether the Pokémon in question is Croagunk or a different one. In the picture on his table, it says that Looker is in the picture with a bluish and purplish color, which may be referring to a Croagunk.
|| Pokémon Platinum Version
- Jubilife City
- "WHAAAT?! ...How did you know? How did you unmask me as a member of the International Police?!"
- "...Heh. You claim you were only making conversation, do you? But, I know better not to believe that. No, no, no. You recognized right away that I was someone extraordinary. That is why you spoke to me, is it not? Your power of observation is fearsome! Quite admirable, you are! Now that my cover has been blown, let me introduce myself. I am a globe-trotting elite of the International Police. My name... Ah, no. I shall inform you only of my code name. My code name, it is Looker. It is what they all call me. Incidentally, is the saying, 'Don't be a thief!' familiar to you?"
- No: "No? You claim to not know it? How could that be? Perhaps your mama has said it, but you have forgotten it, like usual? Now listen, my friends. It is wrong to take what belongs to others."
- Yes: "Yes, that is correct. Taking what belongs to others is wrong."
- "Unfortunately, there are apparently those who do not heed those words. In Sinnoh, in fact, there are criminals stealing the Pokémon of others. I have, therefore, been on the lookout for characters arousing my suspicion. Incidentally, you are Trainers, yes? Perhaps you can make use of this? That Vs. Recorder, it is a nifty device for recording a match. I obtained it because it is quite popular these days. But myself, I do not do Pokémon battling very often. It will be in better hands with you. Also, I have a request. If you were to see me again, I ask that you not talk to me, for I am on duty. ...Actually, yes, yes, you may speak to me. You must. Not because I am lonely, no, no! You must inform me of bad guys! You must inform me of any happenings!"
- After obtaining the Coal Badge
- "Ah, yes. I see that you have obtained it, a Pal Pad for yourself. I myself, a member of the International Police, the fighters of crime around the world, have one also. For it is what one must have to trade with Trainers around the world. Take that Pal Pad to the Global Terminal for trading on an international level!"
- If player has not obtained Pal Pad
- "Tell me, have you not obtained a Pal Pad? Is not a Pal Pad free to anyone visiting the Pokémon Center's basement?"
- "Anyway, there appears to be no one shady in this Jubilife City. I shall therefore take my investigation elsewhere. But, my friend, I suggest you remain vigilant for shady grown-ups!"
- Valley Windworks
- "Ah, yes. It is you, yes. I have heard that the Team Galactic appeared at this power plant. I have, therefore, come running. So, the Team Galactic. Where are they? ... You have run them off, you say? You are a Trainer, but...? Very well! I shall go investigate inside! Magnificent! Yes, it is! What you have said, it is all true! Superb! Though you are young, you are a Trainer through and through! Very well! I shall pursue the culprits! I have received tips that the Team Galactic hideout is in Eterna City. To there, I must be off!"
- Team Galactic Eterna Building
- "Hello! It is me! Me! Hahaha! I have startled you, yes? I am, after all, an officer of the International Police. It is only natural that I be a master of disguise. ...Incidentally, you are a first-rate Trainer. Of that, I am very aware. I therefore think you will be OK, but I must warn you to be careful anyway. Also, a word of advice. This building, it has two stairs. One of them, a trap it must be. But the crooks of Team Galactic, they do not appear, how shall I say, smart. There should be an easy way to tell the stairs apart!"
- "Now, I have been conducting my investigation into Team Galactic. But I have no clue as to who they are or what it is they wish to do. The minions, they appear ignorant of the intentions of their boss. Also, a word of advice. This building, it has two stairs. One of them, a trap it must be. But the crooks of Team Galactic, they do not appear, how shall I say, smart. There should be an easy way to tell the stairs apart!"
- Veilstone City
- After helping Lucas/Dawn get their Pokédex back
- "Have no fear, I have come running. I heard of children feuding with the Team Galactic. It turns out, of course, to be you."
- "You insult me to my face? How very uncouth of you."
- "It is of no matter. Of more interest is the criminal behavior of the Team Galactic. They attempt to steal the belongings of a child? The scale of their criminality, it seems rather minuscule. The triviality of their action makes them more sinister, perhaps. Their warehouse needs investigation. Come with me, and we'll take a look!"
- After helping Lucas/Dawn get their Pokédex back
- "Hmm... A key is necessary for us to go on. For the time being, we cannot give chase to those who run away. Ah, this Hidden Machine... It is of the hidden move Fly. <player>, this, you should be keeping. It will not do to leave this item here to be used by the Team Galactic. So, we did not learn much from this exercise... No matter. What concerns me is what I have overheard in the Game Corner. The Team Galactic has transported something to Pastoria City. What they are up to, I do not know, but I have bad feelings about it."
- "I am concerned over what I have overheard in the Game Corner. The Team Galactic has transported something to Pastoria City. What they are up to, I do not know, but I have bad feelings about it."
- After earning the Icicle Badge
- "Ah, hello! I have kept you waiting. I will use this Storage Key I have obtained from the Team Galactic... Yes! It is opened! I will go ahead, my friend. Do not expose yourself to danger!"
- Outside Team Galactic HQ (after earning the Icicle Badge)
- "Ah-hah! You leave this to me! The Storage Key for entering the Team Galactic hideout, I have right here. A frontal assault, it is not possible. But we can enter their hideout. Well? Will you enter the hideout? You have your reasons, yes?
- No: "...Yes, I see your point. Snaking into the hideout of the Team Galactic...it is daunting."
- "<player>! Ah-hah! You leave this to me! The Storage Key for entering the Team Galactic hideout, I have right here. A frontal assault, it is not possible. But we can enter their hideout. Well? Will you enter the hideout? You have your reasons, yes?"
- Yes: "Very well. Inside the Team Galactic warehouse. We will meet there. Prepare the best you can. I shall join you shortly."
- "<player>! Very well. Inside the Team Galactic warehouse. We will meet there. Prepare the best you can. I shall join you shortly."
- "Psst! Here. Over here. This gathering of the Team Galactic... What is the meaning of it?"
- "...Whew. So, that was Cyrus, the boss of the Team Galactic. Quite the performance, no? Mesmerizing for one of only 27 years old. ...But to make a world for Team Galactic and none other? It is preposterous. So much so that it makes my head spin. A new world? What is that? And what is this incomplete world? Very well. To investigate such matters is the job of the International Police. Of which I am a member in good stead. And it is my job, therefore. We shall part ways here. Take extra care, my friend!"
- "Ah, it is you, yes. I have decide to use opportunity of being here in Sinnoh. I am therefore trying to teach moves to Pokémon that I have captured. Also, if I have nothing to do, it means the world, it is at peace. ...Ack. My streak is broken."
- After interacting with the Galactic Grunt on the beach
- "Hello, my friend! The cargo that the Team Galactic brought is worrisome, so I have come. ...You say the cargo, it was a bomb? And there was an explosion? The explosion was at the Great Marsh? Furthermore, you are pursuing a man... A man with funny bowl-cut hair. In an outfit that is very strange? In other words, that is the Team Galactic! Oh, no, no, no! How did I miss it? Ah, Looker, this time you have made a mistake of the ages! The man, who I have seen running away, he was the bearer of the bomb! Ach! This will not do! Wait! Wait, I say!"
- In the Hotel Grand Lake lobby building
- "Ah, my friend, it is you! Yes, I am at this hotel now. I am interviewing the people to see if they have seen anyone suspicious. I would like your assistance. Go search outside, if you will. The suspect, he may have already slipped away ahead unnoticed.
- "Is that so? The champion of Hoenn has stayed here? But that is of no importance! A suspicion-arousing character, yes, but your bragging is not necessary! Inside the hotel, I will search. You, I ask to search outside. The suspect, he may have already slipped away ahead unnoticed."
- Mt. Coronet
- "Observe, if you will, that hole. There was once a cave painting that had blocked the way to the summit. But the wall, it is no longer there. It lies in pieces. Do you see? Ever since the three Pokémon of the lakes have been captured... Something terrible is happening, but what exactly, I do not know. There is but one cause! Team Galactic’s Cyrus! And now, we are all caught up. Now, to the next step. Are you Trainer enough to advance? Show me, if you will! ... ... Hahaha! You can relax now. You see, I understand. You are far superior to me. As are the Commanders. Cyrus, too, naturally. Team Galactic is beyond my reach... Please, you must stop them! For only you are able! All I can do now is give you this. It is a little something I obtained in an investigation long ago. Your Bag, it is full? Are you prepared for every occasion? Please! You must stop Team Galactic!”
- "Please! You must stop Team Galactic!"
- "Please, stop Team Galactic! For only you are able! All I can do is give you this. It is a little something I obtained in an investigation long ago."*
- Stark Mountain
- "Go, go, go!"'
- "Excellent work, Croagunk! Pah! Disguising myself as a boulder for stakeout was not easy! Now, old-timer, the International Police cordially requests your cooperation. I am sure you have much to tell us about the new Team Galactic. With Cyrus, Mars, and Jupiter gone, you are all that is left."
- "You can tell us all about it. We have plenty of time. Oh, no, no. No resisting arrest. You can't win three-on-one, no? OK, Officers, over here, if you will. He is an old man. This heat cannot be good for him. Quickly, take him somewhere cool. Yes, the cooler will do!"
- "<Player>! And you, unfamiliar boy! I wish to say something. First, it is too hot! Let us exit this environment!"
- "Whew! The air outside, it is delicious, yes! ...Gweh! Gah! Geff! Bleah! I have inhaled volcanic ash by the lungful! Now, you two. This is what they were after. The Magma Stone. Moving this is said to awaken the Pokémon Heatran. The old tales say that its awakening, it will make Stark Mountain erupt. ...But I have moved it. It is here. Will this cause the eruption?!"
- "That boy, he has quite the energy, yes? <Player>, I should tell you why I have arrived here. After we parted at Mt. Coronet, I investigated their hideout. I uncovered Charon's plot, which led me to a stakeout of this place. That Charon is now securely within our custody. It is safe to say the Team Galactic is a threat no longer. That being said, it looks like my work here is finally finished."
- "I, also, will take my leave. 'The more wonderful the meeting, the sadder the parting.' That is a quote I heard many years ago in a foreign land. Its meaning... I understand it better now. Farewell, <player>, my friend! Long may you cherish Pokémon!"
- Nuvema Town
- "Incredible, really. Amazing, absolutely, meeting these two Pokémon of legend!"
- "Oh! I still wear my disguise! Pardon! Or, rather, let me introduce myself."
- "I am a globe-trotting elite of the International Police. My name... Ah, no, I shall inform you of my code name only. My code name, it is Looker. It is how I am called! Behind the scenes in this region of Unova, an organization called Team Plasma conspires... This I have heard, and therefore, to this region I must come, but... Thanks to the Gym Leaders and to you, yes, Team Plasma's castle has fallen. And the members, they have gone upon their separate ways! This is what I hear, most certainly!"
- "But, however! However, but... The ones known as the Seven Sages--still they hide themselves in the Unova region."
- "And so, in the end, it explains why I must ask this of you, Trainer of amazing skill! Travel the Unova region and search it up and search it down for the Seven Sages! Alder, the Champion of renown, recommended you to my notice. Are you willing to help me?"
- No: "Ah, ah! Yet once more shall I ask! If you please, travel the Unova region and search it low and high for these Seven Sages!"
- Yes: "Excellent! I thank you! Now I feel as if I have perhaps a million people on my side. Permit me to give this into your hands!"
- "Yes, correct! It is certainly a Super Rod!"
- "I see. It is truly <player>'s mama to ask so! What a magnificent question! I admire it. It is my pleasure to answer. Absolutely nothing!"
- "Yes, I shall provide the explanation of this, the Super Rod! First! Face the water and employ the rod! Second! Concentrate your focal point! When it occurs that these Pokémon bite, "!" will indicate. Immediately, reel in! For the rest, <player>, I depend upon you!"
- Across Unova
- Upon arresting each sage (says one of these at random)
- "Ah... And now, about Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and there are so many things you must tell me at once!"
- "Regarding Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and you must satisfy request for certain information!"
- "Indeed! I am an officer of the International Police, and I demand to hear all you know about Team Plasma!"
- "On the topic of Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, so you would be wise to share all you know."
- "Regarding Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and you must supply the information I request!"
- When there are still sages remaining (says one of these at random)
- "Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. What is it they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I pursue. Until we meet again!"
- "Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. They are thinking--upon what topics? They are hoping--upon what chances? This is of the utmost urgency! At once! On the way!"
- "Many thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. What is it they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I have need of. Until we meet again!"
- "Thanks many times over! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. The thoughts they are contemplating, the hopes they are anticipating, these--these are what I want to know! Until our next meeting!"
- "Truly, I thank you! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. Their innermost thoughts, their uttermost hopes... These I must and shall discover! Once more, a brief farewell!"
- When the last sage is arrested
- "Thank you a lot! Eh, <player>... On a topic I must speak to you. Having received such a report, of someone far from here, who has seen a person like N and...a dragon Pokémon. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!"
- Lumiose City
- "Ahem... <Player>. Please excuse me. I only need a moment. Or perhaps three. There is something I really need to talk about with you. Please come to the Looker Bureau. The building is close to Rouge Plaza. I can't say any more right now. I will expect to see you soon."
Chapter 1: That Man's a Real...Looker
- Looker Bureau
- Upon first meeting at the Looker Bureau
- "What does your heart say, <player>? Will you partner with me and fight crime?"
- No: "No? <Player>, my friend! This answer surprises me. It is not what I expected. I need a partner like you in order to protect the peace of this city. Reconsider, <player>. The city needs you. I need you. Will you not be my partner?"
- Yes: "For your brave answer, I thank you. Lumiose City will regain its tranquility!"
- "Well, I wish it could be that easy. Because even though you are Champion, you're still a rookie when it comes to detective work. And that's why I must ask you to enroll in my class in detective and espionage skills: "The Looker Method: Yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" When you're ready to learn the meaning of "hard-boiled," just come and talk to me again."
- "Oh, you're ready for adventure now? Allow me to explain what you will be doing. You will need to find five Looker Tickets that have been sprinkled about Lumiose City, and then bring them back to me! There's nothing more to it! Simple as can be! The Looker Tickets will be sure to catch your eye with their glitter and sparkles. I want you to succeed, so I have left some hints in my notebook about where to find the tickets! Ah ha, so then, it is time. Away with you to begin your training! I trust you'll live up to my hopes!"
- Before finding all tickets
- "What is it, <player>? Are you feeling a bit stuck with your training? Well, you've found <number> tickets so far. Don't give up, my friend! Dive back into Lumiose city, and find those tickets!"
- Around Lumiose City
- "So now that you're heading off into the city, <player>, I just thought I would go over the locations of the hidden tickets once again."
- "1. In the Pokémon Center next to Magenta Plaza."
- "2. In Centrico Plaza, in the tower illuminating the city."
- "3. On Vernal Avenue, at a shop selling medicines."
- "4. On North Boulevard, 1F, in a place where people rest."
- "5. On North Boulevard, 1F, in a place filled with art."
- "That's it. If you're having trouble, return to the Looker Bureau or read this message again. I wish you luck."
- "Congratulations! You've found a ticket! Your brilliant deduction has brought you one step closer to becoming a detective!"
- "Congratulations! You've found a ticket! Just as I would expect of my colleague-to-be, <player>! March on! March on! Dive deep into Lumiose City!"
- "Congratulations! You've found a ticket! Your training is coming along smoothly! If my deductions are correct, I would say that this is the third ticket you've tracked down. Which would mean you are now more than halfway through your training! Lumiose is an imposing city, but do your best!"
- "Congratulations! You've found a ticket! Shall I share my diagnostics with you again? This ticket must be... your fourth ticket. Correct, yes? I imagine you are consumed with curiosity. How could I possibly know this? The answer to that is simply--I am a hard-boiled detective, after all!"
- "Congratulations! You've found a ticket! If you have gathered all five tickets, make your way straight to the Looker Bureau! Your training continues until we meet again! Remember that, brave <player>!"
- Looker Bureau
- "Ein, tvo, tri, fjore... Fif! Five Looker Tickets! Congratulations, <player>! You have completed your training using my patented course, "The Looker Method: Yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" From this day onward, you are a fully fledged, completely boiled detective!"
- :...Ahem! With that accomplished, let me issue my request once more. <Player>, be my crime-fighting partner?"
- No: "Pardon? No?... Listen, <player>. This answer is not acceptable. I need a partner like you in order to fight crime and protect the peace of this city!"
- Yes: "Excellent. It will be an honor for you to serve as an official member of the Looker Bureau! And... as partner to the one and only Looker! I'll send you a message on your Holo Caster whenever we have a job to do!"
- "... ... ... To complete my patented training course, "The Looker Method: Yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" in so little time and with such ease... <Player>, you truly are a masterful Trainer. The big case on which I have been at work... It is a certainty. We will crack this case together. And, as for what is past, old friend, be patient. Justice will be served--enough for all!"
- "Ah! It is my partner, <player>! We have not had a single case come to us here at the Looker Bureau! In other words, Lumiose City is at peace... And I'm out of a job and a paycheck! I'll send you a message just as soon as we get a case. Watch your Holo Caster! I'm looking forward to your help once we get a big case to crack!"
- "LOOKER'S MOST SECRET DIARY"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... I have finally had the great fortune to find a partner in this Kalos region."
- When he calls on the Holo Caster
- "<Player>! It is I! Looker! I want to talk to you about something important! Could you come to the Looker Bureau, please?"
- When the player speaks to him after his call
- "<Player>, you're here! You got my message on the Holo Caster, in fact? Then I need three minutes only. It is this. We have a case to solve! I count on your help, <player>! Let us put our partnership to the test! My notes are on the desk. Take 30 seconds to read up on the case."
Chapter 2: In the Back Alleys
- Looker Bureau
- After the player has read his notes
- "All read up and all ready to go? Good! The first thing I want you to do is to visit those dark alleys in Lumiose City. Find where kids are hanging out, and get the lowdown on the situation. Got it? Think you can handle it, partner?"
- No: "What? <Player>, no, no, no! That is not the answer I want to hear! I want you to investigate the dark alleys of Lumiose City and scope out what's happening with these kids! You've got this, right?"
- Yes: "I am counting on you, <player>. There are a number of alleys here in Lumiose City. Somewhere, in one of them, you should find those kids! Yes. Yes, indeed. Hmm... My gut tells me there's something fishy about the alley leading off South Boulevard. When you've got a gut boiled as hard as mine, it's worth paying attention to! Start your investigations on South Boulevard. I'll join you when I can. Oh, wait! Here's an idea! I need three seconds... To help you on your way, I'll jot down the locations of all the alleys in my notebook! You've got this, <player>. Fear not. Off to the dark alleyways of Lumiose City!"
- South Boulevard alleyway
- "Pardon, pardon. It took a while to find you! How's the investigation going, <player>? Do you have news to report?"
- "Oho! Did you hear that cry? I feel like it came from deeper inside the alley..."
- "Why, it's a Pokémon! But to threaten humans like that, it is apparently none too gentle... It may consider this area its territory."
- (Emma's voice confirms his guess.)
- "Eh? Who's there? Show yourself!"
- (Emma appears and introduces Mimi.)
- "Ahem. Then this is your Pokémon? In which case, would you mind returning it to its Poké Ball for a bit?"
- (Emma repeats Looker questioningly.)
- (Emma berates Looker, saying she and Mimi are friends.)
- "Of course. I...get it. Please forgive my error. My name is Looker. I work as a detective. May I introduce my partner, <player>. If you will permit me to ask, Mimi's friend... I am interested in what you're all doing here."
- (Emma says they're playing.)
- "... ... ... You seem to have a good group of friends playing together here. But why did you pick a dark alley like this one to play in? Lumiose City is filled with plazas and open spaces and sunny corners. Flowers can't bloom without sunshine, and neither can young folks, you know."
- (Emma says she and Mimi have always lived in alleys.)
- "You live in an alley? You and Mimi? And...your family? They--"
- (Emma says she's alone.)
- "I see."
- (Emma amends that Mimi is like her family.)
- "Indeed... Indeed! I, Looker, have struck upon an idea! A genius idea. And here it is! Friend of Mimi! I invite you to stay at my office, the Looker Bureau. You may work as my assistant and, in exchange, you may live in the office. I myself live elsewhere in a hotel, so you'll have it all to yourself after hours!"
- (Emma is flustered.)
- "It is not to imply that anything's wrong with a free life in the alleys, but... To have a home to shelter you from the cold and the rain... There is joy in having work to do each day and your efforts seen and appreciated. This idea is genius, even for me! And, Mimi, are you on board, too? It wouldn't be the same without you!"
- (Mimi runs away.)
- "Wh-what? Why did Mimi run off?"
- (Emma declines Looker's offer, saying that she sticks with Mimi.)
- "Hold on! Mimi may grow to like me in time. But even if not, we can try a new angle. At a time like this, it helps to have a partner you can count on."
- (Emma is confused.)
- "Indeed! <Player>! Your assignment is to befriend Mimi. You can do it!"
- If talked to before the player has finished the assignment
- "Can you handle it, <player>? If you succeed in making friends with Mimi, it may accept me as well. I'm your partner, after all! Yes! <Player>, I'm counting on you!"
- South Boulevard
- On the Holo Caster after the player exits the South Boulevard alley
- "<Player>! I have received a tip from the children. I judge it most important, and it may be of use to you. Mimi apparently doesn't like being petted by strangers. It is imperative that you check the alleys where Mimi is known to stroll around. To be precise: Across from the Galette Stand! Across from Lumiose Station! Right next to Café Triste! The entrances to these alleys are all found on North Boulevard! Au revoir and out! I wish you luck!"
- South Boulevard alleyway
- After the player has befriended Mimi
- "Oh! <Player>! Well done! Mimi seems to have taken a shine to you!"
- "Thank you, <player>. You have proven your worth as my partner. Well, friend of Mimi? Problem solved? All set? Is it time for you to graduate from life on the streets and join the Looker Bureau as my assistant?"
- (Emma agrees happily.)
- "Ha ha! A detective is a hard-boiled kind of person! <Player>, let us make our way to the Looker Bureau with our new assistant!"
- Looker Bureau
- "Please, make yourself comfortable! From today on, you will work here as my assistant! And you may live here as long as you choose!"
- (Looker does a double-take.)
- "I seem to have forgotten my manners. Pardon me for not asking your name. What do you prefer to go by, or shall we stick with "Friend-of-Mimi"?"
- (Emma gives her name.)
- "Emma, is it? Indeed, a pretty name!"
- "Ahem. The case of the kids in the alleys is now closed. With Emma staying here instead, kids will stop making the alleys their second home! <Player>, I will send a message on your Holo Caster the next time we get a case! I look forward to it indeed."
- "Emma and Mimi... I was absolutely right to invite them to stay here. Truly genius, no doubt. What I don't know is if enough work will appear to keep food on our table. ... ... ... I-I guess I'll roll up my sleeves and concentrate on my mission! Th-this is what it means to be a hard-boiled detective."
- Before he calls for the next case
- "Hello, <player>. I don't have any cases at the moment. I'm teaching Emma to read and write and do basic arithmetic. When a new case appears, I'll contact you via Holo Caster! I look forward to it indeed."
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... Every day is filled with taking care of Emma and Mimi. Seeing their shining faces across from the table, I can't help but think... The action-packed life of a hard-boiled detective has turned into a family story... But there is a new source of suspense...in the thinness of my wallet."
- "<Player>! It's me! Looker! I want to talk to you about something important! Could you come to the Looker Bureau, please?"
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... I am happy to report that Emma has learned to read and write and do basic arithmetic. I must be truthful and say that her progress is due to the diligence of her brilliant instructor. Ha ha. Emma's intelligence and keen focus on her studies have ensured her steady progress."
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... Recently, I have begun to be accepted by the Pokémon Mimi. When I pat its head, it barely lashes out. When I leave for the evening to go home to my room at the hotel, it cries sadly. It remains cautious when meeting strange adults, but this is evidence to me of trauma in its past. I wonder what happened, but prying into another's secrets is not good manners, whether person or Pokémon. I simply continue my effort to deepen my bonds with Mimi."
- When the player speaks to him after his call
- "You're here, <player>! That is good. I need 30 seconds of your time, no more. It is about our new friend, Emma. Ever since she started living here at the office, I have detected some signs of stress in her. This has caused me to worry. What do you think, <player>? Could it be that there is something wrong?"
- Yes: "Interesting, interesting... So, has she confided in you? Or did you use some of the brilliant detective skills you learned from my class? You're an approachable person, <player>, which encourages others to open up to you. You know, when I first invited Emma to live here, my intention was to become a guardian to her. I promised to do everything for her as a parent would. I...I do hope my feelings of responsibility are not burdening her."
- No: "Of course, of course! If my partner says nothing is wrong, then, indeed, nothing could be wrong. I was a little worried that living in a strange place and studying all day might be causing her stress... Hah! But my concerns prove untrue. It is just like a grim detective such as myself to see mysteries in everything."
Chapter 3: Detective, Tourist, Gang
- Looker Bureau
- As a woman enters the Looker Bureau, speaking Japanese
- "Oho! What have we here? One of our fair city's famous tourists! From your manner of speaking, madame, I deduce that you have traveled far indeed! I am...Looker. What may I do for you?"
- (The woman says she came to Looker to have him take back her Pokémon that were stolen from her.)
- "Ahem... My dear lady... I am so terribly sorry, but could you speak a bit less quickly?"
- (The woman apologizes, but says she doesn't have any time because her plane will leave soon.)
- "Ahem... From what I can gather, it seems that this lady has been given sore offense. And do you know why that would be, <player>, my friend? Well, thanks to my gift for languages--I've traveled all over the world, you know... It seems she is highly offended that she has come as a guest and not yet been offered tea! Yes! Case closed! Which means, my friend, I must make haste to obtain the requisite tea! <Player>, please keep our guest company until my return from this vital mission."
- When Looker returns, after Emma and Mimi have arrived
- "I return! My apologies for the delay. I have obtained the finest quality tea, since our guest obviously has exquisite taste! Oho! Emma and Mimi are back as well! Yes. Excellent timing all round. Emma, have you introduced yourself to our visitor from a faraway land?"
- (Mimi goes to greet Looker.)
- "Oh! What have we here? Mimi! Are you happy to see me come home, too? Why... I wondered if it would ever happen. I have won over the hard-boiled Mimi!"
- (Emma informs him that the woman is here about her Pokémon that were stolen at Lumiose Station.)
- "What's that? What's that you're saying? Then it wasn't tea that she was after? But I bought this...fancy...expensive... No! Hah! Never mind that! Let us focus on what is most important now! Come, my friends! We have a case!"
- (Emma asks him to wait.)
- "What is it, Emma? Didn't you hear? Her Pokémon have been stolen! We must get them back at once!"
- (Emma informs him that it's probably the Lumiose Gang, which probably means a battle.)
- "Pardon? Whom? The Lumiose Gang?"
- (Emma adds that it's not worth getting into a fight for a woman who insulted him.)
- "No, Emma. That is not on! If you see someone in trouble, give help. If you see a Pokémon in distress, you help! That is the policy of the Looker Bureau! And it does not change! No matter what this person may have said about me, it does not change what we do! Now, wait here, please. I must go to Lumiose Station."
- Lumiose Station
- "Indeed. Hold that thought. I am not here to pick a fight. Instead, I have a simple request. Return that tourist's stolen Pokémon!"
- (The gang refuses and complains that Emma hasn't come to see them since moving into the Looker Bureau.)
- "What do you mean?"
- (The gang leader, Nix, challenges Looker to a battle.)
- "I cannot accept your challenge."
- (A gang member wonders if he even has a Pokémon.)
- "You...er..."got it in one.""
- (The gang tells him he can have a chance to go catch a Pokémon.)
- "Argh. Words are no use here. I'll have to go. Later, I'll return, and--"
- (Turning, Looker sees the player.)
- "Oh! <Player>! Ahaha...ahem. You've caught me making an enormous fool of myself. It is as they say. The great Looker has no Pokémon of his own... I can do nothing to restore the stolen Pokémon to that tourist..."
- (Nix offers to let the player fight in Looker's place.)
- If Looker is spoken to before defeating Nix
- "<Player>, my friend... I'm afraid this is all I can do for you."
- (Looker heals the player's party.)
- After defeating Nix, when Emma shows up
- (Emma makes Nix give back the stolen Pokémon and apologize to Looker.)
- "Ahem. Of course. The Pokémon shall be safely restored, so let's call it water under the bridge. A-a-a-a-and...case closed! Cheers, <player>, Emma! Let's head back to the Looker Bureau!"
- (Looker pauses before leaving.)
- "Oh, I forgot something... Wait. Thirty seconds! Hey, folks!"
- (Nix is uncertain.)
- "It's your wish to be friends with Emma, is that correct?"
- (Nix agrees.)
- "When people behave with evil intentions, I cannot turn away and lightly forgive such. Especially people who do cruel and thoughtless things. For example, stealing the beloved Pokémon of other Trainers... However... I believe... No. Not just believe. I KNOW... People and Pokémon are both capable of...evolving. And so... If you give your word of honor not to ever lift a hand in cruelty again, then you may come by the Looker Bureau anytime to visit Emma...as her friends."
- (Emma and Nix are surprised.)
- "Let us now return! Back once more to the Looker Bureau!"
- Looker Bureau
- (Emma apologizes for what she said about the woman.)
- "If you learned something from it, that is all I need to hear, Emma. But that is not what concerns me now. Imagine how I felt to discover that you were the boss of that gang!"
- (Emma explains and Nix appears and backs her up.)
- "Well, it's the lad from the gang. You're here for a visit already? Good. Ahem. You can drop that "sir" business. Call me Looker."
- (Nix promises that the gang will reform.)
- "That's excellent. Deciding to change your course in life is more than an Evolution! It is a Mega Evolution! There is no substitute for honest work if you want to make a difference in this world."
- (Nix bids Emma goodbye, then Emma gets Looker's attention.)
- "Hm? What is it, Emma?"
- (Emma wonders if she really deserves to be there if she's not doing any work.)
- "Those are good questions, Emma. You have been learning nonstop since you came here, have you not? Learning is very important work at any age, and especially for you now. Continue to pour your heart into your studies. You have no need to worry."
- (Emma presses Looker on whether he can really afford to look after her and Mimi.)
- "Y-you have no need to worry! One would expect that a hard-boiled detective has savings set aside, indeed! Yes, indeed, Looker's savings are as lofty as Sinnoh's own Mt. Coronet! Hm. Perhaps you have not met up with Mt. Coronet in your studies yet, Emma? Ha...hahaha! I ask you to leave such worries to me. Your part is to study hard, so you can become my trusted assistant. Deal? Good."
- Before he calls for the next case
- "Oh, <player>! Have you seen Emma? She always seems to be out and about these days. When I ask for details, she has nothing to say... I'm a bit worried. If you see her, would you let her know that?"
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... Emma has been going out more and more often. I find it worrying, not knowing where she goes. Is this perhaps how a father feels?"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... The young people from the gang came by to tell us that they had secured part-time work. I've never worked within the Community Safety Department, but even I do feel quite moved to see young people turning their lives around."
- "<Player>. It's me. Looker... I apologize for the interruption, but could you make haste to the Looker Bureau? There's a bit of a situation. I could use your help."
- When the player speaks to him after his call
- "Ah, <player>, thank you so much for your time. I need three minutes only. Emma is on my mind. Recently, she has been running off somewhere on her own. And often. I was hoping to ask her to watch the office for me today, and once again, nowhere can she be found. It even seems as if she did not return here last night... Her friends from the former gang seem to be on the straight and narrow, so I hope this is not anything bad, but..."
- (Looker's Holo Caster chimes.)
- "Hm? What's this? A Holo Caster clip?"
Chapter 4: An Unforgivable Crime
- Looker Bureau
- After watching Holo Caster bulletin
- "Did you see that, <player>?! Where trouble goes, Looker must follow! I am on my way to the Lumiose Museum to begin my investigations! Most urgently! It is straight to the scene of the crime for us! ...Oh, wouldn't it be nice if that were true? But I actually have an appointment soon that I cannot possibly miss, so I am stuck here... I hate to ask this of you, but I need you to start the investigation without me, <player>! I will be counting on your keen eyes, <player>! Go at once to the Lumiose Museum on North Boulevard, and get to the bottom of this mess!"
- If spoken to again, he repeats his last two lines.
- North Boulevard
- On the Holo Caster after the player exits the Lumiose Museum
- "It's me! Looker! <Player>! Would you kindly return to the Looker Bureau posthaste?"
- Looker Bureau
- When the player speaks to him
- "<Player>, have you seen the news? The purloining of Pokémon continues! It is unforgivable! We have not yet closed the case at the museum, but... When you consider how many are suffering, we must pursue the culprits! I have devised an absolutely amazing plan that will bring an immediate solution. It will be a sting operation! It appears the criminals are targeting Trainers in places where there are no witnesses. If that is indeed the case, then we can simply bait a trap and wait! First the "victim" will go to some deserted location and act lost. The criminals will think they've found an easy mark, and they will surely reveal themselves! All the reports say they like to challenge their victims to battle before stealing their Pokémon. That's when we'll get them! Right when they are distracted by the heat of a Pokémon battle! The backup, who will be hiding and watching, will appear and help take down the criminals! Indeed. What do you think? It is not without risk, but it's quite the best plan we have! However! The plan will never succeed without you, <player>! Esteemed <player>! Aid me in this!"
- Yes: "Many thanks! I knew I could count on my partner. Now, as to our assignments... There is little to decide, since you are aware that I have no Pokémon. Your role is therefore to play the victim in our little sting operation. I will conceal myself in the shadows and watch for my opening to attack. Keep your Pokémon ready to spring into battle when the criminals appear! I ask myself how to draw these miscreants into approaching us. What we need is a place in this bustling city that is a little deserted, perhaps. A nice, neglected alley is exactly what I have in mind. Come, <player>! The game is afoot! Let us begin the hunt close to home! The nearest alley is opposite the Galette Stand on North Boulevard. Go quickly, <player>! I will be right behind you!"
- No: "No, my brave friend <player>! That is not the answer I hoped to hear! I need the help of my partner if I wish to uphold the peace of Lumiose City!" (Repeats "Yes"/"No" prompt.)
- "Come, <player>! There is a time to hunt and a time to hide! And this is that time. To the alley opposite the Galette Stand on North Boulevard, at top speed!"
- North Boulevard, Galette Stand alleyway
- "OK! It looks like you've arrived at the back alley. <Player>! Inspect the area! The culprit may be in hiding close by. I am maintaining a lookout near your position, but use every precaution!"
- After the player defeats the Suspicious Woman
- "Stop right there!"
- (The woman runs away.)
- "Wha--?! What is that woman?! She's no Pokémon, yet she can use Transform? Oh, what am I doing? This is not a time to stand around being shocked! In fact, this is a time to dash off in pursuit! The chase is on! Now, considering the direction in which she ran, and the angle...hm... <Player>, my brave friend! I suspect she is headed for the alley beside North Boulevard's Café Triste! Please go ahead without me! I will be right behind you, just as soon as I have checked this place for clues! But wait! One minute of your time! The great Looker will restore your Pokémon before you go!"
- "I suspect she is headed for the alley beside Café Triste over on North Boulevard! I will come just as soon as I check this place for clues!"
- North Boulevard, Café Triste alleyway
- "OK! Looks like you've reached the back alley. <Player>! Inspect the area once more! The culprit may be hiding nearby again! We'll wait for an opening, and then I'll rush in, too! Cautiously, <player>, cautiously... Classic precautions never go out of style!"
- After the player defeats the Suspicious Child
- "Not today, you crook! I will not allow it!"
- (The woman runs away.)
- "Argh! She has run off on us again! Is she really not a Pokémon? I've never seen a human jump like that... Oh, what am I doing? This is no time to stand around being impressed! Now is the time to chase the culprit! Considering the direction she ran off...hmm... Brave <player>! Her goal must be the alley opposite North Boulevard's Lumiose Station! Go ahead without me! I will follow close behind you, just as soon as I have checked this place for clues! No, wait! Thirty seconds! How could I forget twice?! Let me just restore your Pokémon before you go!
- "Next is the alley opposite Lumiose Station on North Boulevard! I will come just as soon as I check this place for clues!"
- North Boulevard, Lumiose Station alleyway
- "OK! Looks like you reached the back alley. Be of good cheer, <player>! She may have gotten away from us twice, but THIS time, we'll get her. Yet I wonder... This miscreant does not seem like an ordinary human being... If you get into trouble, call me. Certainly! I'll come running! <Player>! Remember your precautions!"
- "What is it? What has happened? <Player>, my friend!"
- (Arriving and speaking to the Black Belt:)
- "Come now... Young man... What has happened to you?"
- (The man describes a woman challenging him to a battle.)
- "What did she do?"
- (The man describes how she beat him and then stole his Poké Balls.)
- "Argh! So we were too late... And where did the woman go?!"
- (He says toward South Boulevard.)
- "South Boulevard, huh? <Player>! There is only one alley on South Boulevard! Exactly and precisely the same alley where we first met Emma and Mimi! Go at top speed, if you please! I will do what I can for this poor man and then follow as quickly as I can!"
- "There is only one alley to be found on South Boulevard! It is the exact same alley where we first met Emma and Mimi! Go there at once, my young friend, and catch that criminal!"
- South Boulevard alleyway
- "Finally! Looks like you've reached the back alley! <Player>! She's trapped like a Patrat now! According to our informant, the culprit is a young woman! She won't be able to fool us with her clever little transformations! We will not let her escape again! This time, we will most certainly catch her! We'll watch for an opening, and then I'll rush in, too! I'm counting on you, <player>!"
- After the player defeats the Suspicious Lady
- "Freeze! Pokémon thief! I will not let you lay a finger on my partner!"
- (The woman threatens him.)
- "Easy words, but not so easy to carry out! Even though I, the great Looker, have no Pokémon, I yet have my fists! I'm a trained expert. The outlook for you is dismal."
- (Mimi appears.)
- "M-Mimi?! Why--?!"
- (Mimi approaches the woman.)
- "Mimi! That woman is dangerous! Move away from her at once!"
- (Mimi excitedly dances around the woman.)
- "How can this be? Why would our Mimi act so friendly to... It...cannot...be. It cannot be so."
- (The woman attacks Mimi.)
- "Mimi! Watch out!"
- (The woman prepares to attack Looker.)
- "W-wait... Stop this... Emma..."
- (The woman is confused.)
- "Th-that's right... You are... You are Emma. Is it not so?"
- (The woman is silent.)
- "Ungh... M-Mimi hates all adults... The only person it loves...enough to make it jump for joy... is you, Emma..."
- (The woman says she is Essentia.)
- "Eurgh... Essentia? You cannot deceive me, Emma. You may trick an ordinary human eye... But you could never fake the bond between you and...Mimi..."
- (Mimi calls, and the woman is silent.)
- "What is the matter with you, Emma? Why would you do these things! If you are in some sort of trouble, could you not have shared it with me?"
- (The woman remains silent.)
- "Emma! SAY SOMETHING!"
- (The woman groans.)
- (The woman screams.)
- "Emma! What's wrong?!"
- (The woman flees.)
- "Oh no... Emma..."
- "Ahem... <Player>, forgive me... It seems that last hit...got to me... Do you think you could possibly...help me back to the office..."
- Looker Bureau
- "Thank you for your kindness, <player>. Your help has saved me again today. Even the great Looker can be taken down, as you see. The injury to my stomach, a mere trifle, not at all...cough, cough...painful. I may just pop by...the hospital... It has been quite a busy day, in fact. Please go home and rest yourself."
- After the player has left
- "Mimi, could you give this to <player>? I am about to embark on a dangerous investigation. I must venture upon this road alone, in order to preserve you all from harm. I will claim to be staying in the hospital...and use this chance to slip away..."
- "Urrugh... My injuries may be worse than I guessed... But I must press on! I can't let this slow me down. Essentia... I know without doubt that she is Emma... That suit she wears is most likely the doing of that man... The man I have come so far to hunt down. If I fail to find and stop him, my Emma might never... I have no choice but to beg the help of that despicable..."
- "To my esteemed partner: It is I, the great Looker. I must investigate certain matters in regard to the Essentia case, and so I must leave the Looker Bureau for some time. While I am away on this important task, I would ask two favors of you. First, if you should somehow meet Emma, you must pretend to know nothing of the recent incidents around town. The other thing I ask is simply... Should Emma ever come to you asking where I have been all this long while... Please tell her that I am in the hospital with some minor complaint. She is not to worry. I know that this may seem an extreme request, but I trust you to do the right thing. Your partner, Looker"
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... I sense that my duties here in the Kalos region draw near their end. I will attempt to contact that one who is rumored to have ties to Team Flare. This will not come without cost, truly. Such a one does not do favors for nothing. I will need something that I can use to presuade such a fiend... Some bargaining chip..."
- In Looker's notebook, after Emma's Holo Caster call
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... I have at last succeeded in approaching the detestable contact. It must be said that the personality of this contact is formidable. This will not be an easy task. I may have to give a promise of amnesty to secure help from such a vile individual."
Chapter 5: A Fiery Woman and the Truth Revealed
- Lysandre Labs
- After the player has defeated Essentia three times
- "That is enough."
- (Xerosic wants to know why they're here.)
- "Mimi is a Psychic-type Pokémon. It is only natural that it could find the friend to whom it has opened its heart."
- (Xerosic accuses them of trespassing.)
- "That may have been true had we forced our way onto the property. However, all we did was step into a wide-open elevator. Notwithstanding that, <player> is the partner of the great Looker! Were s/he in trouble, I would follow to the highest heights and the fathomless depths!"
- (Xerosic orders Essentia to attack them all.)
- "Stop this, Emma!"
- (Xerosic tells them it's useless because he controls Essentia.)
- "Can you hear me, Emma?! If you can wake yourself, I know you can break free of that suit! Awaken! Open your eyes! Emma! EMMA!!"
- (Essentia remains silent and then Mimi tries to reach her.)
- "Mimi! Get back!"
- (Essentia screams, but Xerosic regains control.)
- "Ugh! <Player>! You must go! Stop Emma for me!"
- If spoken to before the battle with Essentia
- "Stop Emma for me! This is all I am able to do! Please aid me!"
- (He heals the player's party.)
- After Essentia is defeated
- "There are no more Poké Balls! You must stop fighting!! EMMA!!!"
- (Essentia screams.)
- "No... Emma! What can I do?!"
- (Essentia screams again, and then Xerosic shuts down the remote control.)
- "E-Emma!! Are you all right?!"
- (Xerosic explains Emma was never in danger.)
- (Emma wakes up and notices everyone.)
- "E-Emma... Are you...all right?"
- (Emma is confused, then remembers he's supposed to be in the hospital.)
- "Uh... Ahem. N-no... You see...I got, uh, special permission to check myself out of the...hospital... I had to make sure you were OK, Emma. I had to see you, so I found out where you worked and came to find you."
- (Emma is amazed he found her.)
- "Naturally! Now, Emma, how about you go and get some dinner? I need to have a little grown-up talk with Dr. Xerosic here!"
- (Emma, Mimi, and the player leave.)
- "That may be that...but... I think it's time you and I have a little chat, Dr. Xerosic."
- Looker Bureau
- "Ahem. Let us get down to it. I would like to straighten this out before Emma returns. Dr. Xerosic, could you please confirm one small thing for me? The criminal mastermind behind all these incidents was--you yourself?"
- (Xerosic confirms it and that Emma has no responsibility.)
- "That's how it is?"
- (Xerosic says he's the only one who should be arrested.)
- "Ahem. For a minute, let's say I believe your statements--"
- (Xerosic interrupts and praises Emma's character.)
- "I hear you. Once I have everything in order, I will ask you to accompany me to the station. And that is all I have to say to you as Looker of the International Police. What I say to you now, I say as simply Mr. Looker, young Emma's guardian..."
- (Xerosic is curious.)
- "Would you care to stay and visit a while longer with Emma and me? She seems to have grown quite fond of you, you know. We are about to have dinner together, and she was hoping you would join us. Ahem... I would like to wait until tomorrow, after she has enjoyed a last cheerful night, before I must tell her the truth."
- (Xerosic is silent.)
- "Dr. Xerosic..."
- (Xerosic agrees.)
- "LOOKER'S TOP-SECRET JOURNAL"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month... The Kalos case has been closed. It will soon be time to move on."
Final Chapter: Here's Lookin' at You, Kid
- Looker Bureau
- On the letter delivered by Mimi
- "To my dearest friends... I must have but a moment of your time. It is I, the great detective Looker. I write today because there is something I must confess to you. This is confidential! Top secret! I am not a private detective at all but an officer of the International Police! You are shocked, of course. My hard-boiled detective act was brilliantly flawless, after all. But I know you have been worrying about my long 'hospital stay' and the strange 'illness' that kept me there. The truth is--I am the very picture of health! My hospital stay was a ruse to keep you all out of harm's way. My intentions were the best, but it was still a lie, for which I humbly apologize."
- "However, my friends, there is another reason for this letter. And so I must request of you just a minute or two more. I came to this region for an investigation. Detective Officer Looker was on the case! And, indeed... Thanks to yours truly, the case is now closed. My greatness prevailed! I cheer! And yet... It also means my time in Kalos is done. I must say good-bye to this lovely region. And, more painfully, to you, my friends. Thank you for all your assistance... And adieu. P.S. To <player>, my colleague... You have been the perfect partner. For all that you have done for me in our time together, I would like to present you with my cherished code name, 'Looker.' And for Emma and Mimi... To the two of you, I leave the Looker Bureau. I purchased the whole building, so never again will you have to worry about rent. It is yours to do with as you will."
- "LOOKER'S NOTEBOOK"
- "To <player>, my friend--I imagine that you must have read the letter I entrusted to Mimi by now. Here, in my private notes, I must express to you my gratitude and my regrets. My greatest regret is that I had to lie to you, my worthy partner. In adherence to the guidelines of the International Police, I was strictly forbidden to reveal my identity. But I am grateful from the bottom of my heart that you were my partner. Our time together was brief, but I will treasure the memories of working with you for always. As I wrote in the letter, my task here is complete. I must escort the suspected criminal Xerosic to his trial and bid farewell to this land. I'm sure Emma must be distraught, but I know you of all people will understand why I must go. You are my partner, after all. Thank you for working at my side. Ever your partner, Looker"
- Lysandre Café
- Initially alone with Xerosic
- "...Fine. If you really say that you returned all the Poké Balls that Essentia stole..."
- (Xerosic protests his cooperation and asks to be allowed a minute.)
- "There is no minute to give you! Our train is about to depart!"
- (The player enters.)
- "What? <Player>! Wh-why are you here?!"
- (Emma arrives and wants to know why he's leaving.)
- "I...I'm sorry, Emma... But my letter explains everything. I work for the International Police! I am a globe-trotting, crime-fighting elite! Wherever there is a case, I must go! Justice awaits!"
- (Emma says she'll join the police if she has to.)
- "Emma, I wish it could be like that. You can't come. It's not possible at all."
- (Emma protests that she's his assistant.)
- "In fact, the time has come for you to graduate from being my assistant. As of this moment, I name you the new head of the Looker Bureau!"
- (Emma is surprised.)
- "Listen to me, Emma. You were born and raised in this fair city. Every day of your life, you have been here. You are the only one who knows this city inside and out. No one else could do the things you can do for it! I pass my torch of brilliant detective-ing to you! Take my place, and keep protecting the peace of Lumiose City!"
- (Emma asks the player to say something to Looker.)
- "Emma, please. I must ask you to respect the necessity of my decision. <Player> understands perfectly why I must go. It is the way of partners. S/He is my partner. We understand each other."
- (Mimi calls.)
- "Oh, Mimi... Please don't make a sad face on my account. No matter where I go, our bonds will never change. You will be my dear friends from the Looker Bureau, always and forever."
- (Emma and Xerosic talk for a bit.)
- "Everyone... I'm sorry, but... We are nearly out of time. Our train is due to depart."
- (Emma promises to forge ahead as the new head of the Bureau.)
- "I leave it in your hands, Emma! I'll rest easy, knowing you're on the case!"
- (Xerosic tells Emma not to mess up.)
- "Ahem... <Player>! Emma! Mimi! I entrust to you three the great task of protecting the peace of Lumiose City!"
- (He walks past everyone.)
- "Thank you for everything! Farewell, my friends!"
- Battle Resort
- "...You. I want to ask you something. Where...where am I?"
- Hoenn region: "Hoenn...?"
- Battle Resort: "Battle...Resort? It's a battle place, yet also a...resort? I...don't...get it."
- "Hnh. You again. I apologize for my actions earlier. The truth of the matter is... I have no idea in the world what I am doing here... Or even who I am. The first thing of which I can remember is awakening here upon this beach. Baffled, lacking awareness of the circumstances that brought me here... And at that moment, you appeared! I feel...as though I have some duty that I should be accomplishing... But of it, I can remember nothing. Please, pardon me for going on about myself. In fact... I feel quite uneasy. Of course, I must thank you for finding me."
- "That, I found in the pocket of my overcoat. It was the only thing I had on me. I do not know if it will prove worth anything, but I'm glad to give it to you."
- "Wh-who am I? Who in the world am I?"
In the anime
In the main series
Looker made his debut appearance in Frozen on Their Tracks. Ash and his friends met Looker while taking a train leading to Lake Acuity, and decided to help him distribute lunch boxes as he has bought too many of them. He decided to investigate the reason behind the signal which caused the train to stop and discovered it was the doing of Team Galactic.
Looker's International Police Badge
He appeared again in Gateway to Ruin!, investigating Team Galactic's activities in Mt. Coronet while disguised as a grunt to blend in.
Looker made another appearance in Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!, having been captured by Team Galactic and held at the Fuego Ironworks. In The Battle Finale of Legend! he arrested the Team Galactic members.
Looker was set to make a comeback in two unaired episodes before they were indefinitely postponed. The events of these episodes are not canonical.
After a long absence, Looker finally appeared again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Power Plot!. He had originally disguised himself as a Hiker, but revealed his true identity after saving Ash, Iris, and Cilan from a group of attacking Pokémon, including Pikachu and Axew. He explained that he had come to Unova in order to investigate the actions of Team Plasma, who were planning to take over the region. After an encounter with several Team Plasma members, including the Plasma Scientist Colress, he left the group to continue his investigation.
Looker appeared again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!, again investigating actions caused by Team Plasma. Ash and friends encountered him at a city, where a Haxorus was going on a rampage. Looker realized that it must be under the same kind of control as the Pokémon from before, and attempted to use his barrier-creating device to stop Haxorus from being controlled, without any result. He then used an energy indicator to find the source of the energy that controlled Haxorus, eventually pinpointing it into Team Plasma's helicopter. When a missed Shadow Ball from Aldith's Liepard hit the machine, it was broken, freeing the controlled Pokémon.
Looker disguised as a Hiker
In Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!, he disguised himself as Cedric Juniper's assistant and escorted Ash and his friends to the White Ruins. Later, when Team Plasma attacked in an attempt to find the Light Stone, he unmasked himself and began trying to fight the villains.
He also appeared in Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony! and What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, where he wound up getting caught along with Iris, Cilan, and Cedric Juniper, but they later freed Looker. He then managed to convince Team Rocket into joining the battle. Eventually, when Reshiram was freed from Team Plasma's control, Looker arrested all the Team Plasma members, effectively putting an end to the team's existence.
In the Diamond & Pearl series, Looker built an alliance with Team Rocket while trying to take down Team Galactic. Jessie, James, and Meowth referred to him as Boxed-Lunch Guy (Japanese: ランチボックスさん Mr. Lunchbox) because he gave them boxed lunches while on the Ampharos Train. That simple act left them extremely loyal to him. In the Best Wishes series, this relationship was shown to have carried on, as seen in What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, where he managed to convince them into joining the final battle against Team Plasma.
In Pokémon Generations
Looker first appeared in The Chase, where he and the International Police were on the trail of Giovanni. They soon tracked the Team Rocket boss down to the Viridian Gym, only to find that he had already left his Gym Leader position after awarding Badges to two Trainers: Blue and Red.
Looker reappeared in The Legacy, where he was shown meeting up with Silver at Indigo Plateau to find out more information on the whereabouts of Giovanni, after he and the International Police had helped stop Team Rocket's takeover of the Goldenrod Radio Tower.
Looker appeared again in The Magma Stone, in which he was shown at Stark Mountain. He was trying to hunt down the remnants of Team Galactic led by Charon after Cyrus had disappeared. He used his Croagunk to battle the Legendary Heatran along with Buck and his Claydol. He was not able to arrest Charon as he escaped with two Galactic Grunts.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Looker in Pokémon Adventures
In Pokémon Adventures, Looker investigates several of the activities caused by various villainous groups. To help him with his investigations, Looker uses many gadgets known as the "International Police Arms". However, many of these gadgets have a tendency to break apart at Looker's expense.
Looker first appears in the Diamond & Pearl chapter where he interrogates the two scientists hired by Team Galactic to guard Lake Valor. Due to them not knowing anything about Team Galactic, the interrogation went nowhere. In the Platinum chapter, Looker makes his appearance looking for his client. He eventually meets up with his client, Platinum Berlitz, and joins her in her quest to research information on the Distortion World so that she can rescue her bodyguards. Paka and Uji.
Looker joins Platinum as she goes through the various Battle Facilities and usually helps her when she is having trouble in them. In the Battle Castle, he helps Platinum with her money-managing troubles, which helps her defeat Darach. While Platinum goes through the Battle Arcade, Looker goes to help their ally Buck fight Team Galactic on Stark Mountain. When he arrives, he finds out that Charon had obtained the Legendary Pokémon, Heatran, and has been using it to attack Buck. Worried about Looker's safety, Platinum sends her Pokémon to go and help them while she goes through the Battle Factory. They eventually return with Looker and Buck, who were seriously injured and later hospitalized.
After Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum defeat Charon, a fully recovered Looker appears and arrests Charon. He goes to chase after the other Team Galactic commanders until his superior contacts him and tells him to call the mission off. He is ordered to head to Unova and investigate the activities of the Seven Sages. Looker leaves immediately but quickly comes back to give Diamond a Pokémon Egg he received from some Pokémon Rangers in Fiore.
In the Black & White chapter, Looker appears as a participant in the Unova Pokémon League. Disguised as a man named Lou Karr (Japanese: ハンダ サムロウ Handa Samurō), he battles until he eventually makes it to the top 8. During the quarterfinal match, Looker faces Black as his opponent. Due to his Croagunk not being a native Unova Pokémon, he has the advantage due to Black not being able to figure out his opponent's type. Eventually, Black manages to figure out Croagunk's type and defeats it. Having been defeated, Looker disappears and goes into hiding. After taking off his disguise, Looker reveals that he has entered the League to investigate the suspicious participants, as he believes that one of them may be a member of Team Plasma. When Gray reveals himself to be Zinzolin of Team Plasma, Looker immediately takes the chance to tie him up and capture him. Later, Looker assists Black in the final battle against N alongside Cedric Juniper and Leo, who climbed into his hot-air balloon.
In the Black 2 & White 2 chapter, Looker has spent the past two years looking for the members of the now-defeated Team Plasma. Upon returning to Unova after failing to find the Seven Sages in other regions, he is tasked with meeting up with Lack-Two, another International Police member. He finds Lack-Two at Aspertia City, only to be attacked by a Scolipede immediately after exchanging their secret password. Lack-Two easily defeats the Scolipede and rescues Looker. Much to Looker's shock, Lack-Two reveals himself to be Looker's superior despite the age gap between them.
Lack-Two and Looker head to the Aspertia alleyways where they encounter Lack-Two's maintenance man, the Magician. After having himself checked up, Lack-Two takes Looker to a training area and has him do some tests. Although they manage to succeed in the first one, Looker and Croagunk completely fail the second test. Lack-Two berates the two and tells them to get better at handling harsh conditions. Before they can continue, an explosion rings outside. When they go out to investigate, they find out that the culprit is a flying saucer. Lack-Two reveals that the saucer is actually the Mythical Pokémon Genesect that was created by Team Plasma. Genesect defeats Looker by slamming him into a wall, leaving Lack-Two alone to battle it.
As Lack-Two battles Genesect, he learns that it's actually a wild Pokémon being remotely controlled by Colress, a criminal scientist that infiltrated the Unova League under the pseudonym Hood Man. Lack-Two decides that with Genesect still technically being wild, capturing it rather than defeating it is the best option. After some struggle, Lack-Two successfully captures Genesect. Looker attempts to arrest Colress, but Colress escapes before he can be handcuffed. Just before leaving, Colress reveals that Team Plasma is planning on making a comeback on the Unova region.
Afterward, concerned civilians begin arriving at the site of the battle. When Lack-Two begins flirting with the girls, Looker pulls him away and angrily demands an explanation for his behavior. Lack-Two reveals that two years ago, Team Plasma devised a machine that can counter Colress's mind controlling device and secretly entrusted the microchip to a young former Plasma Grunt. Although he does not know who the former Grunt is, Lack-Two does know she is the same age as him, hence his flirting is nothing more than away to deduce which girl is the former Grunt. Afterward, Looker and Lack-Two leave to file a report to headquarters of what they had learned.
| Croagunk is Looker's only known Pokémon. Croagunk was first seen as Looker arrives to investigate the two scientists. It later appears to help Looker arrest Charon. In the Unova Pokémon League, Croagunk was used to battle Black's Tula. Due to Croagunk not being an Unova-native Pokémon, Black had no idea what his opponent's type was. Eventually, Croagunk was defeated by Tula's Electroweb.
Croagunk's known moves are Vacuum Wave and Venoshock.
|| Double Trouble with Dialga and Palkia V
Looker has at least two other Pokémon, as he participated in the quarterfinals of the Unova Pokémon League, which requires a Single Battle involving three Pokémon.
- At least eight unknown Badges
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
Looker in Diamond and Pearl Adventure!
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga, he and Koya are on the trail looking for Hareta's father, Kaisei. Like in the games, he is also working for the International Police. His name in early chapters is Hansom, but he is later identified as Looker.
In the chapter Looker debuted in, he is able to identify Galactic grunts in the crowd before they launched a terrorist attack on the stadium; once the Galactic incident is taken care of, he tries to take Kaisei into custody. Later, he along with several other agents of the International Police have arrived in Stark Mountain and disguise themselves as rocks in order to capture Team Galactic. However, the villainous team escapes when an earthquake in Stark Mountain distracted Looker and the others. He stays behind to save Koya. After calming Heatran down by placing the Magma Stone back to where it belongs, Looker wonders if any members remained during the cave-in, in which Koya responds with no.
Looker then arrives in Team Galactic's headquarters in order to continue his search for Team Galactic and has Koya block the entrance in order to prevent anyone from going inside. However, he informs Koya that Charon was too powerful and his whole squad was defeated. Looker defends Koya when he was about to get hit by Onix. After witnessing Charon's strength, Looker tells Koya to retreat the area. Despite that, Koya decides to stop Charon for good in which Looker accepts. Much later, Looker arrived on Stark Mountain after the battle with the Creation trio, awaiting for Charon's arrival in order to arrest him. Following Charon's arrest, Looker notifies him that Team Galactic was disbanded on behalf of Cyrus's orders.
In the Pocket Monsters DP manga
|| This section does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this section to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
Looker in Pocket Monsters DP
Looker has also appeared in the Pocket Monsters DP manga. He debuted in PMDP39 where he ran out of the police car after arriving in order to investigate something. Looker was then disturbed by Clefairy's antics but after he went up to Red and the gang, they ran off. Looker followed them and after he caught up, the group once again zoomed away. Tired of Looker's presence, Clefairy built a fake wall out of paper to hide in but it ripped off rather quickly. The group then swam to the other side to avoid Looker but he followed them there too. Following the chase, Looker tried to search for them and found some footprints leading to a house. He tried to knock on the door, but it opened by itself and Clefairy ran out in an ice cream costume along with Red, Pikachu, and Tyrogue and got away in a car. Despite that, Looker was able to catch them and inform them that he had something to give and show them all this time.
Looker returned in PMDP52 where he was at the beach with Red and his Pokémon. He noticed that Clefairy looked darker than before and then all of the other Pokémon start to mimic him, clothes-wise. This caused Looker to chase Clefairy and Clefairy to chase the Pokémon who copied Looker. In PMDP55, he goes on a solo mission with Clefairy joining him when Team Galactic steal a kid's food truck. After spotting the thieves, Looker and Clefairy give chase. When Clefairy put on his ninja costume temporarily, Looker fell to the floor in amusement. As the truck arrives at the garage which was their stop, Looker was unable to get inside the garage but after seeing the two grunts running off with the food but Clefairy stopped them with his own supplies after tripping on a rock.
In PMDP60, he is on the lookout for Team Galactic and met up with Red and his Pokémon at a casino. Unfortunately, after finding their hiding place, the alarms go off and Looker and Clefairy go to the location. Charon makes a break for it and Looker is right behind him. Both of them head for Team Galactic's helicopter and climb the ladder. While on the ladder, they notice Clefairy taking some loot. The helicopter then disappears into the distance.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Looker in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
It is possible that Looker's looks, attire, and general persona may be derived from Koichi Zenigata, a fictional detective in Monkey Punch's manga series, Lupin the Third. Lupin the Third itself was initially released in Japan around the time that many of the highly ranked staff members of Game Freak were young.
|| ハンサム Handsome
|| The English word "Handsome."
|| A colloquialism used to refer to someone good-looking; effectively a synonym for his Japanese name, Handsome.|
Synonymous wordplay for a watchman; or a guard or investigator of sorts.
|| From bel, good looking, and Adonis.
|| From le belle, good looking.
|| Same as English name.
|| Means good looking eye.
|| Same as English name.
|| Pan Ciacho
|| Pan - Mr; Ciacho means good-looking man.
|| Same as Japanese name.
|| Same as English name.
|| 핸섬 Handsome
|| Transliteration of the English word handsome
| 大帥 Dà Shuài
|| 大 (big/great) is a term used to refer to someone older. 帥 means "handsome".
| 帥哥 Shuàigē
|| Literally means "handsome guy". Also means "handsome," as in a form of address for male.