From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Focus Blast (Japanese: きあいだま Fighting Spirit Bullet) is a damage-dealing Fighting-type move introduced in Generation IV. It has been TM52 since Generation IV.
Focus Blast does damage and has a 10% chance of lowering the target's Special Defense by one stage.
Focus Blast does not affect Pokémon with Bulletproof.
|| The user heightens its mental focus and unleashes its power. It may also lower the target's Sp. Def.*|
The user attacks at full power. It may also lower the foe's Sp. Def stat if it hits.*
|| The user heightens its mental focus and unleashes its power. It may also lower the target's Sp. Def.
|| The user heightens its mental focus and unleashes its power. This may also lower the target's Sp. Def.
|Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.|
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.
In other games
|| Inflicts damage on the target, even at a distance. It may also reduce the target's Special Defense by 1 level.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
In other generations
- Focus Blast appears to be related to the concept of a "qi ball" or "psi ball".
- Focus Blast is the only special Fighting-type move that has an accuracy lower than 100%.
- In the prerelease material of the Japanese versions of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Focus Blast had a different animation; instead of 'spreading' when it touched the opponent, it disintegrated.
- Focus Blast is the only special variant of Blizzard that was not lowered to 110 power in Generation VI.
- In an early trailer of Pokémon X and Y, Focus Blast's animation had a red background. In the final version, the background is blue.
- This move originated as an attack in the TCG.
In other languages