The Fishing Brothers, or more commonly called the Fishing Gurus in the Pokémon fandom, are characters in Generations I, II and III who give out different types of Rods. They are all related to each other as brothers, and are spread out through Kanto and Johto. Other characters who give out Fishing Rods appear in Hoenn and Sinnoh.
The Fishing Brothers
Vermilion Fishing Guru
In Generation I and Generation III, a man known as the "Fishing Guru" can be found in Vermilion City, of Kanto, who gives away an Old Rod to the player. Later, in Generation II, he is known as the Fishing Dude and claims to be the eldest of the Fishing Brothers.
Lake of Rage Fishing Guru
In the Generation II and Generation IV games, a man known as the Fishing Guru lives at Lake of Rage, in Johto. His greatest dream is to see the world's largest Magikarp, and he regularly measures those brought to him in order to realize it. If the player brings him a large enough Magikarp, he will give the player an Ether as a prize.
Silence Bridge Fishing Guru
In Generation I, Generation II, Generation III, and Generation IV a brother of the Fishing Guru lives on Silence Bridge. He gives Super Rods to those in whom he detects a love of fishing. In Generation II, he claims to be a younger brother of the Fishing Guru of Lake of Rage. In FireRed and LeafGreen, he is one of the few sources of Balls introduced in Ruby and Sapphire, rewarding players with a Net Ball for showing him a record-breaking Magikarp.
Fuchsia City Fishing Guru
In Generation I and Generation III, the Fuchsia City Fishing Guru lives in Fuchsia City, in Kanto and gives away a Good Rod. He says he is the older brother of the Vermilion Fishing Guru. There is also a small pond at the back of his house, where people can fish.
Other "Fishing Gurus"
Many other characters give fishing rods to players. In the Pokémon fandom, these have all become unofficially known as fishing gurus, even though they are not referred to as such in-game.
- A man in the Route 32 Pokémon Center gives the player an Old Rod.
- A man who has fished in Olivine City for 30 years gives the player a Good Rod in the Olivine Cafe.
- A man near the Gym in Dewford Town gives the player an Old Rod.
- A man who is on Route 118 gives the player a Good Rod.
- A man who is in a house by the Mossdeep Space Center gives the player a Super Rod.
- A man on Route 209 gives the player a Good Rod.
- A man who is in the gate connected to Jubilife City and Route 218 gives the player an Old Rod.
- A man who is found only after the player receives the National Pokédex in the Fight Area gives the player a Super Rod.
In the anime
In Pokémon Origins
Two of the three Fishing Brothers appeared briefly in Pokémon Origins. The Vermilion Fishing Guru appeared in File 2 - Cubone, where he gave Red an Old Rod. In File 3 - Giovanni, Red was seen obtaining a Super Rod from the Silence Bridge Fishing Guru.
- Although in Generation I the Fuchsia Guru claims to be older than the Vermilion Guru, in Generation II the Guru in Vermilion claims to be the eldest of the brothers. This could be explained by the brothers moving around.
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|