Diamond & Pearl series
- This article is about the third series of the anime. For other uses, see Diamond and Pearl.
- If you were looking for the series of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, see Pokémon Trading Card Game → Diamond & Pearl Series.
Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl (Japanese: ポケットモンスターダイヤモンド＆パール Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl), referred to by fans as the Diamond & Pearl series, is the third series of the Pokémon anime and is based on the events of the Generation IV core series Pokémon games. It follows the Advanced Generation series and was succeeded by the Best Wishes series. It ran from September 28, 2006 to September 9, 2010 in Japan and from June 4, 2007 to February 5, 2011 in the United States, although the first three episodes aired as a sneak peak in the United States on April 20, 2007. It was not given and English name until after the release of Pokémon the Series: XY.
Like the previous series, this series begins with Ash Ketchum beginning his journey by himself, this time through the Sinnoh region. His longtime companion Brock eventually rejoins him, as does Dawn, a rookie Pokémon Coordinator from Twinleaf Town who wishes to follow in the footsteps of her mother.
Like what happened in the Advanced Generation series, both Ash and Brock received a change of clothes. As well, a similarity to the previous series is that Ash attempted to travel to Sinnoh with only Pikachu. He was unsuccessful, however, as his recently-caught Aipom insisted on accompanying him.
Like Advanced Generation before it, Ash's previous female companion returned for a few episodes, wearing new clothes just as Ash and Brock do. May's outfit was based on that of her game counterpart during Pokémon Emerald.
Much like what occurred near to the end of the original series's journey through Johto, with the move from cel-based coloring to digital coloring, the Diamond & Pearl series featured the show's move from a standard definition 4:3 presentation to a high-definition 16:9 format near to the middle of the Sinnoh journey.
The Diamond & Pearl series is different from the previous two series in that it is more story driven. While there are less episodes dedicated to Ash's Gym quest or the resident Coordinator's (currently Dawn) Contest quest than previous series had in the same amount of time, more captures, more departures, and more rivals have been introduced when compared to earlier series.
Additionally, this series is the most violent and dramatic of the five so far, in part stemming from the character Paul whose training method sharply contrasts with Ash's so much that he nearly abuses his Pokémon for not doing well, and likewise stemming from the cataclysmic nature of the plot of Sinnoh's resident villainous team, Team Galactic, as well as Pokémon Hunter J.
When the Diamond and Pearl series came to be dubbed into English and other languages, it was divided up into four seasons:
- Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl (DP001 - DP052)
- Pokémon Diamond & Pearl: Battle Dimension (DP053 - DP104)
- Pokémon Diamond & Pearl: Galactic Battles (DP105 - DP119, DP121 - DP157)
- Pokémon Diamond & Pearl: Sinnoh League Victors (DP158 - DP191)
- This is the only series so far that introduces just one new traveling companion for Ash.
- This is the only completed series that takes place in a single region (the original series takes place in Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto; the Advanced Generation series takes place in Hoenn and Kanto; and the Best Wishes series takes place in Unova and the Decolore Islands).
- The Sinnoh League saga is the longest regional story arc out of all the arcs in the anime. The Johto League saga previously held this distinction with 158 episodes total.
- This is the only completed series not to feature any Pokémon from an upcoming generation in any episodes. The only appearance of any Generation V Pokémon occurs during the thirteenth movie.
- This series is the only series in which Ash's Pikachu does not learn any new moves.
- However, Pikachu has learned several improvised techniques and moves.
- The dub of this series is the only series not to include Who's That Pokémon?.
- This was the first series in which 4Kids had no part in dubbing.
- This is the only series in which Team Rocket appear in every episode (they did not appear in the first episode in the original series, they were absent in AG120 in the Advanced Generation series, and they have been absent in several episodes from both the Best Wishes series and XY series).
- This is the only completed series so far to have all of its intended episodes aired in the Japanese version. Every other completed series has had at least one episode that was never broadcast (while An Undersea Place to Call Home! of the XY series did not air when originally intended, it was aired later).
- This is the only completed series that Ash's Charizard has not appeared in.
- This is the only series in which Ash starts off with more than one of his Pokemon, arriving in Sinnoh with Pikachu and Aipom, the latter of which stowed away.
- This is the only series in which Ash meets all four of the primary region's Elite Four. While Ash has met all four of the Kanto region's Elite Four, he did not meet them all during the original series.
In other languages
|Chinese||Cantonese||寵物小精靈DP Chungmat Siujingling DP|
|Mandarin|| 神奇寶貝鑽石&珍珠 Shénqíbǎobèi: Zuànshí yǔ Zhēnzhū (Taiwan)|
精灵宝可梦：钻石与珍珠 Jīnglíng Pokémon: Zuànshí yǔ Zhēnzhū (Mainland China)
|Danish||Pokémon-serien: Diamant og perle|
|Dutch||Pokémon-serie: Diamant en parel|
|Finnish||Pokémon-sarja: Timantti ja helmi|
|French||Pokémon, la série : Diamond and Pearl|
|German||Pokémon – Die TV-Serie: Diamant und Perl|
|Italian||Serie Pokémon Diamante e Perla|
|Korean||포켓몬스터 DP Pocket Monster DP|
|Norwegian||Pokémon-serien: Diamond og Pearl|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Pokémon, a Série: Diamante e Pérola|
|Russian||Покемон сериал: бриллиант и жемчужина|
|European Spanish||La serie Pokémon Diamante y Perla|
|Swedish||Pokémon Serien: Diamant och Pärla|
- TV Tokyo (Japanese)
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|