From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the move Defog. For the field move Demist, see Field Move.
Defog (Japanese: きりばらい Fog Wipe) is a non-damaging Flying-type move, introduced in Generation IV. It is HM05 in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, moving the traditional HM05, Flash, to TM70. However, in HeartGold and SoulSilver, it loses its HM status in favor of Whirlpool.
Defog cannot be used outside of battle without the Fen Badge in Diamond and Pearl and the Relic Badge in Platinum.
Defog lowers the target's evasion one stage, even if the target is behind a substitute. It clears away fog. It also clears away Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock present on the target's side of the field.
Defog can now be reflected with Magic Coat and no longer lowers the evasion of a Pokémon behind a substitute.
Defog now clears away Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock and Sticky Web present on both sides of the field.
It will still only clear away Light Screen and Reflect from the target's side of the field, however.
Out of battle
Defog clears away fog from the area. The effect lasts until the player leaves the area.
|| Obstacles are moved, reducing the foe’s evasion stat. It can also be used to clear deep fog, etc.
|| It reduces the foe’s evasion stat. It also removes spikes, light screens, etc.
|| A strong wind blows away the target's obstacles such as Reflect or Light Screen. It also lowers the target's evasiveness.
| A strong wind blows away the target's barriers such as Reflect or Light Screen. This also lowers the target's evasiveness.
In the anime
| Outlined wings
|| Going for target
| Obstacles are moved, reducing the foe's evasion stat. It can also be used to clear deep fog, etc.
|| First Used In
|| Honchkrow's wings become outlined in light blue. The outline disappears as it releases multiple light blue crescents by flapping its wings. Its wings then become outlined again as the crescents go for the opponent.
| Allegra's Honchkrow
|| The Rise of Darkrai
|| Swanna flaps its wings and releases a wind with multiple clear white energy crescents inside it at the opponent.
| Officer Jenny's Swanna
|| The Lost World of Gothitelle!
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
In other generations
Outside of battle
- The Bag sprite for the HM containing Defog is mistakenly that of a Water-type HM, rather than a Flying-type one.
- Like Flash was in Generations I, II, and III, Defog is not critical to the completion of the game, as a player can traverse foggy areas without using the move. However, unlike with dark caves requiring Flash to light them, foggy areas affect battles within them.
- In the anime, Ash sometimes uses his Pidgeotto's and Unfezant's Gust and his Noctowl's Whirlwind in a similar manner.
- If a player teaches a Pokémon Defog by HM in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum and trades it to HeartGold or SoulSilver, the Pokémon can be freely imported to Black and White via the Poké Transfer, due to Defog not being needed outside of battle in HeartGold and SoulSilver. The same can be done with Whirlpool by transferring a Pokémon that learned it by HM in HeartGold or SoulSilver to Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum.
In other languages