From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| The picture used in this article is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Should be replaced with Generation VI images
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
- This article is about the move Cut. For the field move, see Field Move (Ranger).
Cut (Japanese: いあいぎり Iai Cut) is a damage-dealing Normal-type move introduced in Generation I. It is HM01 in all generations so far.
Cut inflicts damage and has no secondary effect.
Outside of battle
A Pokémon using Cut can remove a certain type of tree, which acts as an obstacle between the player and their destination. It can also be used to cut tall grass. In Pokémon Emerald, a Pokémon with Hyper Cutter can cut a larger area of tall grass around the user.
Generation IV and on
Cut can no longer remove tall grass.
|| A Normal-type attack. Also used for cutting small bushes to open new paths.
|| Cuts using claws, scythes, etc.
|| Cuts the foe with sharp scythes, claws, etc.*|
Attacks the foe with sharp blades or claws.*
|| A basic attack. It can be used to cut down thin trees and grass.
|| Cuts the target with sharp scythes, claws, etc.
|| Damages all foes around the user.
|| The foe is cut with a scythe or a claw. It can also be used to cut down thin trees.
|| The target is cut with a scythe or a claw. It can also be used to cut down thin trees.
|| The target is cut with a scythe or claw. This can also be used to cut down thin trees.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In other generations
Outside of battle
- In Generation I, if the player saves and exits the game standing on a previously cut tree, once the game is continued, the player will be standing on the tree that was previously cut.
- Cut is not required to complete Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.
- The Japanese name of Cut, いあいぎり Iai Cut, refers to iaido, a Japanese martial art. Specifically, it refers to the technique of drawing a blade from its scabbard, cutting down the opponent, then re-sheathing the blade.
- Cut was the first HM move featured in the anime.
In other languages