From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Mr. Briney (Japanese: ハギ老人 Old Man Hagi) is a sailor that appears in many forms of the media. He has a Wingull named Peeko.
In the games
Mr. Briney is first seen near the Rusturf Tunnel, asking the player to recover his Wingull, Peeko, from a Team Magma GruntR/Team Aqua GruntSE. Once Peeko is rescued and returned to Mr. Briney, he will offer to give the player rides in his boat to Dewford Town and Slateport City until he/she gains the Badge from his/her father. During the post-game, it is revealed that he has become the captain of the S.S. Tidal. His house is located on Route 104.
- "Ohhh, what am I to do? We were on our walk, Peeko and I, when we were jumped by an odd thug… The scoundrel made off with my darling Peeko! Wrrrooooooaaaar! Peeko!"
- "Peeko! Am I glad to see you're safe! Peeko owes her life to you! They call me Mr. Briney. And, you are? Ah, so you are <player>! I sincerely thank you! Now, if there's anything that troubles you, don't hesitate to tell me! You can usually find me in my cottage by the sea near Petalburg Woods. Come, Peeko, we should make our way home."
Mr. Briney's cottage
- "Hold on, lass! Wait up, Peeko! Hm? You're <player>! You saved my darling Peeko! We owe so much to you! What's that? You want to sail with me? Hmhm… You have a Letter bound for Dewford and a package for Slateport, then? Quite the busy life you must lead! But, certainly, what you're asking is no problem at all. You've come to the right man! We'll set sail for Dewford."
- Yes: "Dewford it is, then! Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- No: "Is that so? Your deliveries can wait? You just go on and tell me whenever you want to set sail!"
- After arriving in Dewford Town
- "Ahoy! We've hit land in Dewford. I suppose you're off to deliver that Letter to, who was it now, Steven!"
- "Have you delivered your Letter? Or were you meaning to sail back to Petalburg?"
- Yes: "Petalburg it is, then! Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- No: "Then you go on and deliver the Letter. I'll be waiting."
- After delivering the Letter
- "Ahoy! For you, I'll go out to sea anytime! Now, my friend, where are we bound?"
- Petalburg: "Petalburg, is it? Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- Slateport: "Slateport, is it? Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- Exit: "You just tell me whenever you need to set sail again!"
- "Ahoy! We've made land in Slateport! I suppose you're going to visit Capt. Stern and deliver the Devon Goods?"
In the anime
Even though Mr. Briney retired from being a sailor, he was shown to still have the skills as one as he told May his stories about it. He was very caring towards Peeko as she was usually there with him.
Mr. Briney appeared in two episodes of the Pokémon anime.
He first appeared in On a Wingull and a Prayer! fishing off the pier. May spotted him doing so and asked him for a way to get to Dewford Town since Ash and his friends were lost. Peeko flies down to him and Mr. Briney revealed to her that the only person Peeko likes is him. This changed when May brought out Pokémon food. Mr. Briney explained to May about his time as a sailor, only for May to not understand it. Later, Mr. Briney arrived at his house and got confronted by a member of Team Aqua, the same one responsible for stealing from the Devon Corporation the episode before. The grunt captured Peeko in a cage and wanted the boat that Mr. Briney owned. With no other choice, the two of them were about to go on board but the group's interference prevented them from doing so. Despite the group's arrival, the grunt still got on board with Peeko. Luckily, Mr. Briney still had another boat and used it to get his Wingull back. Mr. Brunet was able to retrieve Peeko and as a way of thanking the group, Mr. Briney gave them a ride to Dewford Town on his boat.
In Sharpedo Attack!, Mr. Briney was still taking the group to Dewford Town. On the way, they take a break on an unnamed island that isn't on any map. While there, a group of Sharpedo arrived. Mr. Briney rescued May and Max from them with the help of Peeko. The group were able to bypass them and got on the island. The leader Sharpedo arrived when Ash got its attention and Mr. Briney trapped it in a wooden fence. Sharpedo became sick and Brock helped Sharpedo recover. At the end of the episode, Mr. Briney and the group left the island and arrived in Dewford Town. He dropped them off there and waved his farewells to them.
In Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!, Cilan mentions that he is heading to Johto to compete in the Old Rod Fishing Rally that is being hosted by Mr. Briney.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In Pokémon Adventures, Mr. Briney rescues Ruby after he falls into the sea. He shows Ruby an extremely beautiful Pokémon to convince him that not all fish are ugly. At the end of the Ruby & Sapphire chapter, he becomes the captain of the S.S. Tidal, just like in the games. Mr. Briney is also an old friend of Two Island resident Kimberly.
|| Wailmer (×3)
| Mr. Briney caught these three Wailmer while he was fishing out on sea. Even though the Wailmer were not what he was looking for, they were a good catch.
None of the Wailmer's moves are known.
|| Stick This in Your Craw, Crawdaunt I
In the Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga
|| This section does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this section to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
Mr. Briney in Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire
Mr. Briney appears in We've Found Team Magma's Secret!! of the Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga.
In that chapter, he dressed up his Wingull, Peeko, before Red came by. During Red's arrival, he asked Mr. Briney about the stuffed bird and revealed it to him as Peeko. He told them that he takes Peeko everywhere he goes, including the rooms in his house. Later, Mr. Brunei revealed to the group that Peeko had a crush on someone, which was revealed to be Clefairy. Team Magma come by and demand Mr. Brunet for Peeko, in which Peeko refused to go with them, and attached herself to Clefairy. Peeko's attachment to Clefairy made Mr. Briney sad. When Peeko went racing around with Clefairy, Mr. Briney went after her, and tried to protect her from Team Magma. When a can fell off of a balloon Clefairy rode on, Mr. Briney read a letter attached to the can and revealed that she liked Mr. Briney and wanted to stay with him, much to Mr. Briney's amusement.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Mr. Briney or his Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
|| ハギ老人 Old Man Hagi
|| 萩 Hagi, Japanese clovers.
|| Mr. Briney
|| From brine, salt water.
|| Mr. Marco
|| From mer, sea.
|| From Brackwasser, brackish water.
|| From marino, marine.
|| Means herring.
|| 하기노인 Old Man Hagi
|| Transliteration of his Japanese name.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 哈奇老人 Old Man Hǎqí
|| Transliteration of his Japanese name.