From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Elite Four member. For the character in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, see Big Bertha.
Bertha (Japanese: キクノ Kikuno) is a Master Ground-type Trainer and member of the Sinnoh Elite Four.
In the games
In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Bertha is the second member of the Sinnoh Elite Four.
- "Well, well. You're quite the adorable Trainer, but you've also got a spine. Ahaha! I'm Bertha. I have a preference for Ground-type Pokémon. Well, would you show this old lady how much you've learned?"
- During battle (less than half HP)
- "Dear child, don't assume for an instant that you've won."
- "Well! Dear child, I must say, that was most impressive. Your Pokémon believed in you and did their best to earn you the win. Even though I've lost, I find myself with this silly grin!"
- "You're quite something, youngster. I like how you and your Pokémon earned the win by working as one. That's what makes you so strong. Ahahaha! I think that you can go as far as you want."
- "The Trainer in the next room is a much more formidable opponent. You really must have your wits about you. However, I think you can go as far as you desire. Ahahaha!"
In the anime
Bertha, along with Cynthia, the champion of the Elite Four, was mentioned in An Elite Meet and Greet! by Lucian and by Officer Jenny in A Trainer and Child Reunion!.
She made her debut in An Elite Coverup!, where she, along with Ash and his friends, helped Roland get his Magby back from Team Rocket. After chasing them on her SUV, the group battled the trio and got back Magby.
Later, Bertha battled Ash and his Torterra but managed to defeat him relatively easily. She also advised him to be more observant in battles.
She made a cameo appearance during the credits of Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
Bertha uses these Pokémon in the anime:
|| Hippowdon ♂
| After Team Rocket was sent away, Ash and Bertha decided to battle. Hippowdon battled Ash's Torterra. Hippowdon often went underground and then attacked Torterra with a different move upon resurfacing. Despite this, Ash asked Torterra to sense Hippowdon when he was underground, managing to attack him with Leaf Storm. However, Hippowdon went underground once again and managed to attack Torterra a few more times, defeating it.
Hippowdon also appeared alongside Bertha during the credits of Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
Hippowdon's known moves are Dig, Iron Head and Fire Fang.
|| An Elite Coverup!
| Voice actors
|| Unshō Ishizuka
|| Tom Wayland
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Bertha in Pokémon Adventures
Bertha, along with Lucian and Aaron, are enlisted by the Pokémon Association to decipher Charon's notebook that was stolen by Diamond's Kit. Together, they were figure out the hidden information inside of the book and they give it to Diamond and Pearl so they can use it to stop Charon from capturing the Legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh.
|| Hippowdon ♀
| Hippowdon is the only known Pokémon in Bertha's possession. Along with being used as transportation for Bertha, she was used to carry some books for her Trainer.
None of Hippowdon's moves are known.
|| VS Togekiss
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
Bertha makes a brief appearance in Gathering of the Legendary Pokémon!. She, along with the other members of the Sinnoh Elite Four and Gym Leaders, head to the Galactic HQ to take on the remaining Team Galactic grunts.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Bertha or her Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Some theorize that Bertha is somehow related to Agatha of the Kanto Elite Four, due to their resemblance in hairstyle, position, and name (both English and Japanese).
- In fact, in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Shauntal, Elite Four member of Unova, mentions this resemblance as a quote from her novel during the player's post-National Pokédex challenge.
- While her Hippowdon is invariably female in the games and in Pokémon Adventures, it shows male coloration in other media—namely the TCG and the anime.
- Bertha and Volkner are the only major Trainers in the Diamond & Pearl anime series to use a Pokémon from their in-game Platinum team.
- Bertha is the only Sinnoh Elite Four member who was not seen battling Cynthia in the anime.
||菊 Kiku, the chrysanthemum. Sounds similar to "Kikuko". A common Japanese surname.
|| From earth. Also similar to "Agatha".
||From terre, earth.
||From Terrain, soil.
||From terra, earth.
||From Gaia, the Greek deity personifying the earth.
||들국화 Deul Gukhwa
||Combination of 들 deul, Field and 국화 (菊花) gukhwa (in Japanese kiku), Chrysanthemum, which is also a reference to Agatha.
||From the name 菊野 Kikuno. Literally means "Chrysanthemum field". Shares the character 菊 with 菊子 Júzǐ (Agatha).