From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Butterfree and Me!
Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!!
|| June 13, 2013
| United States
|| September 14, 2013
|| Team Kato
|| 米村正二 Shōji Yonemura
|| 吉村文宏 Fumihiro Yoshimura
| Assistant director
|| 竹内哲雄 Tetsuo Takeuchi
| Animation director
|| 古瀬登 Noboru Furuse
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Butterfree and Me! (Japanese: サトシとバタフリー！また会う日まで！！ Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!!) is the 130th episode of the Best Wishes series, and the 787th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on June 13, 2013 and in the United States on September 14, 2013.
Our heroes’ Decolore Island cruise continues, and the next exciting stop on their journey is Wayfarer Island! It’s a beautiful place that serves as a rest stop for all kinds of Pokémon during their migration. Ash, Iris, and Cilan head off to the mountains for some serious Pokémon-watching!
Their timing is perfect, and they get to watch a group of Metapod evolve into Butterfree and take wing! But after the Butterfree head off on their migration, a lone Caterpie emerges from the woods. It seems Caterpie wasn’t ready to evolve yet, and now it’s alone. Ash remembers that the first Pokémon he ever caught was a Caterpie, and he’s determined to help this one! But there’s a problem: Caterpie isn’t interested in doing much other than sleeping.
Ash reasons that a fully evolved Bug-type Pokémon might be able to help Caterpie evolve, so he sends his Leavanny out to battle it! But when Leavanny’s Energy Ball gives Caterpie a rude awakening, it runs off in a panic. Ash tracks it down and apologizes, and Caterpie decides to trust him. They spend the day climbing trees and playing in the forest. It’s special training, but it’s also fun! And Caterpie even rescues Ash with a well-timed String Shot when he loses his grip and falls.
Ash knows that Caterpie has to eat a lot before it can evolve, so he sets out to gather Oran Berries for his new friend. Unfortunately, they’ve wandered into an Ursaring’s territory, and the imposing Pokémon isn’t interested in sharing its Berries! Ash grabs Caterpie and runs, but when they come up against a dead end, Caterpie decides it’s time to battle. It proves itself to be a fierce fighter, driving off the bigger Pokémon before evolving into Metapod!
But suddenly they have a deadline—it seems another group of Butterfree will soon leave the island, and if Metapod wants to join them, it needs to evolve again, and fast! Special training kicks into high gear, as Ash puts Metapod through its paces, including a long run that leaves Cilan breathless. And then, their training is rudely interrupted by a new threat that swoops down from above—it’s Team Rocket, showing up yet again to steal Pikachu, and accidentally picking Metapod up in the process!
Jessie, James, and Meowth start to fly away in their balloon, but Ash leaps after them and manages to grab onto the side of the basket. As James’s Amoonguss pummels Ash with attacks, Metapod wiggles out of its restraints—and evolves into Butterfree just as Ash is forced to let go! Butterfree catches Ash and puts him down gently on the ground, then goes after the villains and sends them blasting off again!
As the sun rises, all the Butterfree get ready to depart, and Ash has to say goodbye to his friend. It’s a bittersweet moment, but Ash promises they’ll meet again someday as Butterfree joins the migration and heads off to a brand-new life!
|| This plot summary is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this plot summary to add missing sections and complete it.
and his friends
are sailing through the Decolore Islands
and are close to approaching an island. Ash sees a flock of Swanna
and scans it with his Pokedex
explains that they are migrating in which Cilan
points it due to the season change. Porter explains that Wayfarer Island
is a popular spot for migrating Pokemon to rest that are on their way to other places. Ash is delighted to see it happen.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Butterfree
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Live Caster: Zweilous
- Ash and Iris narrate the preview for the next episode.
- As of this episode, all of Ash's original six Pokémon (Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Pikachu) have appeared in the Best Wishes series, either in flashbacks or in the flesh.
- While gender differences for Pokémon which debuted before the introduction of these differences have been acknowledged in the anime, this is not true for the Butterfree in this episode, all of which — including the Pink Butterfree, confirmed to be female — have no purple spots on their wings and thus appear to be male. This may be either an animation oversight or an indication that Butterfree's anime design is not intended to correlate with its gender differences in the games.
- During several scenes throughout the episode, Ash's eyes are colored black instead of brown.
- When Ash and his friends witness the evolution of the Metapod swarm, Ash says that he's never before seen this many Metapod evolving at the same time, even though he has already witnessed a mass evolution of Metapod in the fourth movie.
- When Ash is reading a magazine in the Pokémon Center, Pikachu's right cheek is colored pink, and Metapod's eyelid is placed in the wrong position.
- During the brief scene showing Team Rocket after their motto, the Meowth balloon's ears are cream-colored like its face, instead of black.
- In one scene, one of the video screens on the control panel of Team Rocket's balloon disappears.
- When Team Rocket are blasted off, Woobat and Amoonguss disappear.
Pikachu's cheek and Metapod's eyelid errors
In other languages