From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Jostling for the Junior Cup!
The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!
|| August 2, 2012
| United States
|| December 1, 2012
|| Team Kato
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 吉村文宏 Fumihiro Yoshimura
| Assistant director
|| 吉村文宏 Fumihiro Yoshimura
| Animation director
|| 篠原隆 Takashi Shinohara
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Jostling for the Junior Cup! (Japanese: ジュニアカップ開幕！カイリューVSツンベアー！！ The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!) is the 90th episode of the Best Wishes series, and the 747th episode of the Pokémon anime. It aired in Japan on August 2, 2012 and in the United States on December 1, 2012.
The Lacunosa Town Tournament Stadium is buzzing with excitement, as the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup gets under way! With commentary from Freddy The Scoop and Champion Alder, the tournament begins with an exhibition match between Cynthia, the Sinnoh League Champion, and Caitlin, a member of the Unova Elite Four. These two top Trainers show their stuff with an elegant and beautiful battle between Caitlin’s Gothitelle and Cynthia’s Garchomp, which ends in a draw when time is called.
Then it’s time for Round One! Ash’s rival Trip is paired up against the Pokémon Connaisseuse Burgundy, who only wants to battle her old nemesis Cilan. But Trip’s Serperior manages to take down her Darmanitan in a flash—despite the type disadvantage. Burgundy is furious, but Trip is quietly confident that he’ll win the whole tournament and go on to prove his strength by beating Alder.
Cilan, Ash, and Dawn defeat their first-round opponents as well—and then, in the last battle of the round, it’s Iris and her new Dragonite versus “Dragon Buster” Georgia and her Beartic! This is Dragonite’s first battle with Iris, and it’s clear they’re not connecting: Dragonite repeatedly ignores Iris’s orders to dodge, instead standing its ground as Beartic lands hit after hit. When Beartic’s supereffective Ice Beam freezes Dragonite solid, Iris has had enough, and screams at her headstrong Pokémon to pay attention and get serious. In response, Dragonite breaks free of the ice and—without a command from Iris—launches a powerful ThunderPunch at Beartic, knocking it out! Georgia insists that she lost to Dragonite and not to Iris, but Iris is thrilled about defeating her rival anyway.
Alder declares the day’s battles a success, the crowd erupts in excitement, and Round Two awaits!
Ash, Iris, Dawn, and Cilan enter Lacunosa Town for the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup. Meloetta is with them to cheer them on. When two young men rushing to get good seats run into it and Ash, however, Meloetta is scared off. Cilan tells them that the opening ceremony is about to start and the friends head toward the dome, noticing a temporary Pokémon Center on the way in. Ash hears a familiar voice, and turns to see Alder talking to Cynthia and trying to get her to eat lunch with him. They are interrupted by Trip, who is determined to win the tournament to face off and defeat Alder.
As Trip, Cynthia, and Alder all leave to enter the dome, Georgia, Iris's rival, appears behind the friends and she and Iris exchange insults about each others' hair and talents as Trainers before Georgia leaves, promising to defeat Iris. Cilan starts to lead the way in, but is interrupted as Burgundy, a rival of his, appears, also promising to win and telling Dawn to watch out around Cilan.
The Tournament opens with the participants standing in line together as Freddy the Scoop and Alder make announcements. They kick the battling off with a ten minute exhibition match between Unova Elite Four member Caitlin and Sinnoh Champion Cynthia. Cynthia sends out Garchomp, and Caitlin sends out her Gothitelle. The two battle, and when Garchomp's Draco Meteor and Gothitelle's Thunderbolt collide it sets off a fireworks-like display in the arena. Before either Pokémon can gain the upper hand, however, the timer runs out and the exhibition battle is declared to be a draw.
The first round matches are then announced: Trip versus Burgundy, Manning versus Kenton, Shepherd versus Cilan, Horatio versus Simeon, Marris versus Ash, Geraldo versus Cassie, Ramone versus Dawn, and Georgia versus Iris. Meloetta appears after the matches are announced to cheer Ash and his friends on. The first battle pits Trip and his newly evolved Serperior versus Burgundy and her brand new Darmanitan. Serperior uses Leer to lower Darmanitan's defense and uses a match-winning SolarBeam. When the smoke clears, Darmanitan is no longer able to battle and Trip is victorious.
The other battles are briefly shown, with Manning, Cilan, Horatio, Ash, Geraldo, Dawn wining before Georgia and Iris face off. Geogia uses Beartic to exploit Dragonite's weakness to ice and starts the battle with Hidden Power. Dragonite ignores Iris's orders to dodge the attack, instead batting it away. Dragonite refuses to dodge any of Beartic attacks, including an Ice Beam and appears to be losing as it also is too stubborn to use type-effective attacks. Dragonite finally wins by knocking Beartic out with a Thunder Punch, and Iris wins the match. Georgia approaches Iris and tells her that it was Dragonite that won, not her, as the Pokémon had refused to listen.
Freddy and Alder conclude the day's events with a quick announcement, and Trip is seen glaring determinately at Alder.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
TV episode debuts
Who's That Pokémon?: Garchomp
- Team Rocket's Pokémon Live Caster: Kyurem VS the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo*/Conkeldurr*
- This episode marks the first time two Pokémon League Champions are seen interacting with each other in the anime.
- This episode begins the four-part Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup arc.
- The Who's That Pokémon? segment was skipped in the original airing of the English dubbed episode.
- This episode aired on November 26, 2012 in Italy (on K2), five days before the US airdate.
- This is the first episode since Dawn's return to not feature the Team Rocket trio.
- The quotes that Caitlin and Cynthia use before and after the exhibition match are similar to the ones used in the Generation V games when the player character interacts with them during the battle.
- Caitlin and Cynthia battling could be a reference to the fact that Caitlin and the other female Elite Four members and Gym Leaders lend Cynthia the villa in the games. It could also refer to the fact that in the games, Caitlin was a Frontier Brain in Sinnoh for the Battle Castle.
- When Iris notices that Nurse Joy and Audino are here at the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup as well, Audino's tail is colored pink instead of white.
- When Cilan tells eveyone to get hurry, Cilan's eyes have sclera.
- When Dawn's Piplup defeated Ramone's Stoutland, Stoutland's face when it's fainted is colored the same way as his cream fur near its moustache.
- When Iris sends out Dragonite, Dragonite's antennae are orange instead of cream.
Iris's Dragonite's antennae error
In other languages
| Mandarin Chinese
|| Knokken voor de Junior Cup!
|| Jännittävä Junior Cup!
|| Ansturm auf den Junior Pokal!
|| Συνωστισμός για το Κύπελλο Νέων!
|| La Coppa Junior ha inizio!
|| 주니어컵 개막!! 망나뇽 VS 툰베어!!
|| Konkurrerer i junior cup!
|| Walka o Puchar Świata Juniorów!
|| A Abertura da Copa Junior!
|| Disputando a Taça Júnior!
|| Пробиваясь на юниорский кубок!
|| Latin America
|| ¡Tirando por la Copa Junior!
|| ¡A Empujón Limpio por la Copa Junior!
|| Strid i Junior cup!