From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The XY series (Japanese: ポケットモンスターＸＹ（エックスワイ） Pocket Monsters XY) is the fifth series of the Pokémon anime, following after the Best Wishes series, and based on the events of the Generation VI games. It premiered on October 17, 2013 in Japan, and will premiere on January 18, 2014 in the United States, though the first two episodes were aired as a preview in the United States on October 19, 2013.
As with the previous three series, the XY series began with only Ash Ketchum, headed off to a new region with his Pikachu while wearing a new set of clothes. His previous companions, Iris and Cilan, left the series. Joining him this time are Serena, a new Trainer who previously met Ash in her childhood; Clemont, an aspiring inventor and scientist who is also the Gym Leader of the Lumiose Gym; and Bonnie, Clemont's younger sister.
It is currently unknown how many seasons the series will be divided into for audiences outside of Japan.
When the XY series came to be dubbed into English and other languages, it is divided into seasons:
Episodes in the XY series are numbered with the prefix XY on Bulbapedia. For a complete episode listing, see the list of XY series episodes.
player overview, as seen in XY005
- The XY series is the only series in which Ash has two long-term female traveling companions.
- Like in the games, the XY series now includes the VS. player overview screen before starting a battle.
- This is the first series in which Ash has not captured the Grass-type starter Pokémon.
- This is the first series that the starter Pokémon that Ash and his friends get all originally came from the region's major Pokémon Professor.
- The XY series shares a few similarities to the Advanced Generation series:
- Ash is traveling with three companions instead of two.
- Two of the traveling companions are siblings, with one of them being too young to have Pokémon of their own.
- The three older main characters have one starter Pokémon each.