From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| The picture used in this info box is unsatisfactory.|
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
Winona (Japanese: ナギ Nagi) is the Gym Leader of Fortree City's Gym, known officially as the Fortree Gym. She specializes in Flying-type Pokémon and gives out the Feather Badge to Trainers who defeat her.
In the games
Winona runs the Fortree City Gym. She specializes in Flying-type Pokémon and gives out the Feather Badge once defeated. In addition to the Feather Badge, Winona also gives out TM40 (Aerial Ace) in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.
This listing is for Winona's Pokémon in the video games in which she has appeared.
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
Pokémon World Tournament
Pokémon can be either male or female.
Hoenn Leaders Tournament
Type Expert/World Leaders Tournament
- "I am Winona. I am the Leader of the Fortree Pokémon Gym. I have become one with Bird Pokémon and have soared the skies... However grueling the battle, we have triumphed with grace... Witness the elegant choreography of Bird Pokémon and I!"
- "Never before have I seen a Trainer command Pokémon with more grace than I... In recognition of your prowess, I present to you this Gym Badge."
- "With the Feather Badge, all Pokémon up to LV 70, even those received through trades, will obey your every command. You will also be able to use the HM move FLY outside of battle. And this... This is a gift from me."
- "TM40 contains AERIAL ACE. Its speed... No Pokémon should be able to avoid it."
- "Though I fell to you, I will remain devoted to BIRD Pokémon."
- "We humans can never escape gravity's pull on the ground. But by striving for excellence, we have the power to soar! You have scaled the pinnacles as the reigning Champion. Please, allow me to see your power at full flight!"
- "I failed to reach your height again..."
- "Even though I have lost, the wings of my heart remain unbroken. I can rise and soar again and yet again. I am convinced of it!"
Leader WinonaRS / Sky Tamer WinonaE
- I take advantage of speed.
- Trainer's Pokémon
- Graceful sky dancers
- I can see the ebb and flow of the winds.RS
- The ultimate would be to live as one with nature.E
In the anime
Winona is the Gym Leader of the Fortree City Gym, and was also known as the most talented Flying-type user. She appeared in Who's Flying Now? and Sky High Gym Battle.
When Ash first arrived at Fortree, she was away from the Gym in order to help out in the Feather Carnival, an annual festival where the whole city celebrates the Flying Pokémon. After getting scared by Brock's "usual ways" and chasing Team Rocket off for trying to steal the Flying-types with her Skarmory, she battled Ash the next day.
Winona used Altaria, Pelipper and a Shiny Swellow against Ash's Grovyle, Pikachu and his own Swellow. After a long battle, Ash won the Feather Badge from her.
This listing is of Winona's known Pokémon in the anime:
| Winona's giant Skarmory only appeared in the Feather Festival. Each time, it would bring a child and Winona on its back and fly around the festival, including May and Max. It did not participate in the Gym match against Ash.
Skarmory's known moves are Steel Wing and Drill Peck.
|| Who's Flying Now?
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In Pokémon Adventures, Winona is the supervisor of the Hoenn Gym Leaders, much as Erika is the leader of the Kanto Gym Leaders. Her job is to watch over all Hoenn Gym Leaders to ensure the Gyms are running smoothly. She's apparently close to Flannery, as the young Gym Leader's judgment is enough to convince her that Team Magma is the side she should take in the battle between Team Magma and Team Aqua. Later, she is convinced by Wallace to renounce her alliance, as both sides are up to no good.
When Sapphire first battles and loses to Winona, Winona takes her under her wing and trains her. Because of this, Sapphire joins the Gym Leaders' fight against Kyogre and Groudon.
She and Wallace apparently had some sort of relationship in the past, speculated by most fans to have been romantic. Although it is largely unconfirmed whether she still has feelings for him, it is quite obvious that Wallace still has feelings for her, based on the scene where the two say their goodbyes before they leave to fight Kyogre and Groudon in Volume 20.
When Wallace attempted to battle Maxie and Archie single-handedly, she was held hostage by Archie's Tentacruel.
This listing is for Winona's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
- Winona is the only Gym Leader to own a Shiny Pokémon in the anime.
- In Emerald, Winona's Dragonair knows Earthquake, a move that it can only legitimately learn in the Dragonite stage. This is possible due to the fact that all Gym Leader's Pokémon in rematch are programmed to knowing the final form's legitimate moves, regardless the evolution stage.
- In Black 2 and White 2, the moveset used by her Skarmory in the Type Expert and World Leaders tournaments is the exact same as the one used in rematches in Emerald.
||From 梛 Nagi, Nageia nagi. Also alludes to 凪 nagi (calm/lull), possibly relating to wind.
||Meaning "first born daughter", but may have been chosen because it's similar to "wing" or "wind".
||Possible derivation from "alizé" (trade wind).
||Possible derivation from "Wind" or "Schwinge" (wing).
||Possible derivation from "ali", which is the plural of "ala" ("wing").
||Possible derivation from "ala" ("wing").
||From 은송 (銀松) eunsong, Japanese Red Pine.
||Transliteration of her Japanese name.