Hello there. My name is Bikini Miltank, and this is my user page. I've gone for over a year without one, and I'm only creating it now so that I can use it to compile my observations on Dr. Footstep, and the responses that Pokémon give when brought to him.
What we know: There are five levels of response that a single Pokémon can give, and they relate to how said Pokémon is behaving on the Friendship Checker app of the Pokétch. I'm going to refer to these as levels 1-5, although some prefer to call them 0-4 (possibly because the lowest level can usually only be obtained by deliberately lowering your Pokémon's happiness. It can also be found, however, in newly-caught Pokémon of certain species, including most - perhaps even all - legendaries, various Dark types, Buneary and Ralts).
There are also eight categories of Pokémon, plus an additional 'voiceless' category. The category a Pokémon belongs to determines the set of responses it will give. There are four personality types (no official names that I know of, but I'll be calling them Tough, Cute, Slow and Scary), and these are further divided depending on whether or not the Pokémon leaves a footprint, giving eight categories in all. Voiceless Pokémon are separate, and give the same response no matter what, although Dr. Footstep will still award them a ribbon at maximum happiness.
What I'm doing: I'm currently testing as many Pokémon as I can to determine what category they fall into. If you'd like, you can help by testing any Pokémon you have to hand who is on my 'testing needed' list down at the bottom. Anybody has permission to edit this page for the above purposes. Alternatively, just stick your findings on my Talk page.
- Level 1: "Why does Trainer always use other Pokémon? Am I not needed much? Would I have been better off if I remained in the wild? No, I should give this Trainer a little more of a chance..."
- Level 2: "Humans can't understand the cries of Pokémon, nor our feelings. However, there are some among us that understand human speech... Hehehe, Trainer, you're not bad for a human."
- Level 3: "If a Pokémon were to travel alone, it would be limited as to where it could go. But traveling with a human, a Pokémon would be able to travel farther afield to more distant cities and lands. Traveling with Trainer has been rewarding and reassuring. And very entertaining..."
- Level 4: "Some wild Pokémon frown upon others for traveling with humans. They jeer that the caught Pokémon have "forgotten the wild." But that view is mistaken. They have just never met a Trainer who could be a great partner. A great partner like Trainer, in other words..."
- Level 5: "Trainer is... A remarkable human and Trainer. That I can always perform the best any Pokémon possibly can...I attribute that entirely to my partner Trainer. When we travel I can see wild Pokémon eying us enviously..."
Pokémon in this category: Charizard, Blastoise, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Raticate, Spearow, Fearow, Nidoqueen, Nidorino, Nidoking, Persian, Golduck, Mankey, Primeape, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Kadabra, Alakazam, Machoke, Machamp, Graveler, Golem, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Kingler, Marowak, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Scyther, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Aerodactyl, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Meganium, Typhlosion, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ledian, Heracross, Sneasel, Ursaring, Skarmory, Stantler, Hitmontop, Lugia, Ho-oh, Grovyle, Sceptile, Combusken, Blaziken, Swampert, Dustox, Nuzleaf, Breloom, Vigoroth, Ninjask, Exploud, Hariyama, Lairon, Medicham, Volbeat, Grumpig, Flygon, Zangoose, Tropius, Salamence, Metagross, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Deoxys, Torterra, Monferno, Infernape, Prinplup, Empoleon, Staraptor, Kricketune, Luxray, Roserade, Cranidos, Rampardos, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Mothim, Floatzel, Gabite, Lucario, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, Magmortar, Togekiss, Yanmega, Leafeon, Glaceon, Rotom, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina.
Tough, No Footprints
- Level 1: "Does Trainer intend to ignore me forever? Give me more opportunities for me to shine..."
- Level 2: "If a Pokémon is treated as a friend, it will return the sentiments. We grow fonder of humans that treat us with kindness... Does Trainer even like Nickname?"
- Level 3: "Did Nickname get stronger? Who is responsible for making me so? Is it Trainer's doing? Is the Trainer owed my thanks?"
- Level 4: "Trainer and Nickname are alike in some ways. In humanspeak, we match up well. Does Trainer think so, too?"
- Level 5: "Trainer is very impressive, especially for a human. The Trainer always lets Nickname use every bit of power properly. It is a shame that Trainer is only a human..."
Pokémon in this category: Tentacool, Tentacruel, Onix, Voltorb, Electrode, Seadra, Seaking, Dragonair, Steelix, Qwilfish, Masquerain, Sealeo, Huntail, Rayquaza, Lumineon, Cresselia.
- Level 1: "Aw... Trainer only plays with other Pokémon... Nickname feels neglected... Maybe Trainer doesn't like Nickname very much? Nickname will try harder for Trainer. Please be nicer to me!"
- Level 2: "Others say there are people who aren't very nice to Pokémon. I wonder about Trainer... Will Trainer look after Nickname nicely? Will I get to go all over with this Trainer? Can we be... Friends?"
- Level 3: "This adventure with Trainer is lots of fun. Nickname gets to go places where I can't go by myself. I get to battle Pokémon I've never seen before. I'm gonna get stronger and stronger for Trainer!"
- Level 4: "Nickname and Trainer make a perfectly matched combo! I've seen all sorts of people so far... But Trainer understands Nickname's feelings most! I'm a little hungry... You can tell, right?"
- Level 5: "If I said there can be friendship between Pokémon and people, will Pokémon's friends understand? But if you see Trainer and Nickname, you will understand. Because Trainer and Nickname are friends!"
Pokémon in this category: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Caterpie, Butterfree, Weedle, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Pikachu, Raichu, Sandslash, Nidoran F, Nidorina, Nidoran M, Clefairy, Clefable, Vulpix, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Venonat, Meowth, Growlithe, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Abra, Machop, Bellsprout, Ponyta, Doduo, Krabby, Cubone, Chansey, Tangela, Mr Mime, Eevee, Omanyte, Mew, Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Sentret, Furret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi, Togetic, Natu, Mareep, Ampharos, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Aipom, Yanma, Wooper, Girafarig, Snubbull, Teddiursa, Corsola, Delibird, Phanpy, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey,, Larvitar, Celebi, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Poochyena, Wurmple, Beautifly, Lotad, Taillow, Wingull, Pelipper, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Surskit, Shroomish, Makuhita, Azurill, Skitty, Delcatty, Mawile, Aron, Meditite, Electrike, Pulsle, Minun, Illumise, Roselia, Cacnea, Swablu, Altaria, Kecleon, Snorunt, Bagon, Latias, Jirachi, Turtwig, Grotle, Chimchar, Piplup, Starly, Staravia, Kricketot, Shinx, Budew, Pachirisu, Buizel, Cherubi, Cherrim, Shellos, Ambipom, Buneary, Lopunny, Glameow, Chingling, Mime Jr., Happiny, Gible, Riolu, Snover, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf.
Cute, No Footprints
- Level 1: "Nickname is bored... Play with me more, more... Nickname and Trainer, let’s play nicer..."
- Level 2: "Gonna go with Trainer all over the place... Be nice to Nickname... Warm and cuddly..."
- Level 3: "Nickname get strong, make Trainer happy. Round ones, square ones, triangle ones, wobbly ones... Nickname wants to see different kinds of Pokémon..."
- Level 4: "Trainer and Nickname make a friendly combo. Trainer’s feelings, Nickname can understand. Nickname’s feelings, Trainer understands!"
- Level 5: "Trainer makes Nickname very proud! Pokémon boasts to friends about Trainer! Trainer and Nickname are best of friends!"
Pokémon in this category: Diglett, Dugtrio, Geodude, Horsea, Goldeen, Jynx, Lapras, Dratini, Sunkern, Wailmer, Spoink, Barboach, Castform, Chimecho, Spheal, Gorebyss, Luvdisc, Burmy, Wormadam, Combee, Vespiquen, Finneon, Mantyke, Phione, Manaphy.
- Level 1: "Hnurrrr... Hunh? This is... where? Trainer’s house, is this? It’s not? Hnurrr... If you don’t need me for anything, can I go back to my Ball? Hnurrr..."
- Level 2: "Hnurrr... Me? Uhm... I like to sleep most of the time. Oh, I like to eat, too. That's next. But what I really like to do is think. I'm a very deep thinker. When I think about the future of the Pokémon species... ...Hnurrr... hunh? Oh, I forget where the time goes. Hnurrrr..."
- Level 3: "Hnurrr... Me? Uhm... There are lots of kinds of moves. I like those Dark-type moves, oh, and those Dragon-type moves, too... How would they be for this Pokémon? Will they be for me? Or a no, no, no sort of thing? Hnurrr..."
- Level 4: "Hnurrr... I don't know how to begin saying this... I liked living quietly before I met Trainer. Sssh. But I'm getting to like travelling with Trainer. I think I'm getting sort of funky. Do you think I'm sort of funky? No? No funk for me? Hnurrr..."
- Level 5: "Hnurrr... Me? Uhm... Other Pokémon, they say to me... 'You're not thinking, are you?' How insulting they should say so. It isn't true what they say. Think, think, think, I do that. All the time, I think hard how to help Trainer. I concentrate! Hnurrr..."
Pokémon in this category: Psyduck, Slowpoke, Exeggutor, Lickitung, Snorlax, Sudowoodo, Quagsire, Wobbuffet, Gligar, Octillery, Smeargle, Zigzagoon, Linoone, Lombre, Slakoth, Slaking, Shedinja, Whismur, Numel, Camerupt, Torkoal, Spinda, Trapinch, Wynaut, Bidoof, Bibarel, Bonsly, Chatot, Munchlax, Hippopotas, Tangrowth, Mamoswine.
Slow, No Footprints
- Level 1: "Hnurrr... I did not know that? I really don’t? What is this? I don’t know what to say? Hnurrr..."
- Level 2: "Hnurrr... Well, I... I think I’m motivated. As motivated as the average. But it’s not so simple as that. Hnurrr..."
- Level 3: "Hnurrr... How should I say this? We both look out for each other. That’s what we try to do, I think. That is for the best. Hnurrrr..."
- Level 4: "Hnurrr... How do I say? How should I describe us? We are the sound of both hands clapping. Trainer and I are together in synchronicity like twins. Hnurrr..."
- Level 5: "Hnurrr... What is left to say, I say? We have come so far now, where can we go but to see this through? Hall of Fame... Words so sweet fall from my mouth. Hnurrr..."
Pokémon in this category: Weepinbell, Victreebel, Seel, Dewgong, Shellder, Magikarp, Ditto, Chinchou, Dunsparce, Slugma, Magcargo, Gulpin, Swalot, Whiscash, Feebas, Relicanth, Carnivine.
- Level 1: "That Trainer... What is that Trainer thinking? Why make me join the team, then call upon me for nothing? Am I considered useless? Is the Trainer regretting having me? Does the Trainer dare disrespect this Pokémon so easily?"
- Level 2: "I have little understanding of Trainer as a human... Trainer may not be too bad, considering that I, an oft-shunned Pokémon, am one of the team... That said, I don’t intend to be all cheerful around Trainer..."
- Level 3: "Our kind prefer to lurk in dark and dank places... But being with Trainer, even bright and festive places seem less threatening... Trainer has a strange charisma..."
- Level 4: "Not for a moment did I think I would be travelling with a human... If my Pokémon friends were to see me now, they would be shocked. Or would they be envious of me...?"
- Level 5: "That Trainer is the most impressive of humans. It takes a lot to make me, Nickname, sunny and cheerful! As a show of affection, I should chomp down on the Trainer's neck... Hahaha... Have no fear... I was merely joking..."
Pokémon in this category: Golbat, Gengar, Drowzee, Spinarak, Ariados, Murkrow, Houndour, Tyranitar, Sableye, Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Absol, Banette, Dusclops, Gastrodon, Stunky, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Skorupi, Drapion, Croagunk, Darkrai.
Scary, No Footprints
- Level 1: "Wooooooh... Nickname has nothing to do... Keep me too bored, and I’m liable to sneak up and bite..."
- Level 2: "Is there any human that would grow to like us Pokémon? Well? Does Trainer like Nickname? Nickname doesn't like... Well, no, maybe not..."
- Level 3: "Trainer treats me, Nickname, nicely without being scared. But Nickname will be even scarier from now on. That's what we Pokémon do..."
- Level 4: "Nickname is starting to forget a little about being in the wild... But Nickname isn't feeling sad. It's never boring with Trainer..."
- Level 5: "There are no Pokémon that dislike humans... Only humans that dislike Pokémon... We Pokémon are especially shunned... But Trainer always treats me as a friend and partner..."
Pokémon in this category: Ekans, Arbok, Zubat, Grimer, Muk, Gastly, Haunter, Koffing, Weezing, Gyarados, Crobat, Misdreavus, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Seviper, Shuppet, Duskull, Drifloon, Drifblim.
- All Pokémon in this category produce the noise "Ssshhhnnn..." no matter what their happiness.
Pokémon in this category: Paras, Parasect, Venomoth, Magnemite, Magneton, Staryu, Starmie, Porygon, Kabuto, Xatu, Unown, Pineco, Forretress, Remoraid, Porygon2, Pupitar, Silcoon, Cascoon, Nincada, Nosepass, Baltoy, Claydol, Lileep, Anorith, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Bronzor, Bronzong, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, Probopass, Regigigas.
Though many of these Pokémon have an obvious category, I'd still like to test all of them, since my testing so far has thrown up some surprises (such as Remoraid being Voiceless, and Gastrodon being Scary). If you're able to test one on here, then remove it from the list and add it to the appropriate category. Alternatively, just leave a note on my Talk page.
Testing needed for: Venusaur, Charmeleon, Wartortle, Metapod, Kakuna, Sandshrew, Ninetales, Slowbro, Cloyster, Hypno, Exeggcute, Omastar, Kabutops, Dragonite, Chikorita, Quilava, Totodile, Lanturn, Flaaffy, Bellossom, Hoppip, Sunflora, Espeon, Umbreon, Slowking, Granbull, Scizor, Shuckle, Swinub, Piloswine, Mantine, Houndoom, Kingdra, Donphan, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Marshtomp, Mightyena, Ludicolo, Seedot, Shiftry, Swellow, Loudred, Aggron, Manectric, Wailord, Vibrava, Lunatone, Solrock, Corphish, Cradily, Armaldo, Milotic, Glalie, Walrein, Clamperl, Shelgon, Beldum, Metang, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Purugly, Garchomp, Toxicroak, Weavile, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Gliscor, Gallade, Dusknoir, Froslass, Shaymin, Arceus.