From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Black Kyurem, and White Kyurem
The Tao trio, sometimes called the energy trio, is the collective term used to refer to the three powerful legendary Pokémon of the Unova Region: Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. According to Unova myths, the legendary trio was created during the war plaguing the region.
Much like members of other legendary trios, the three Pokémon have similar appearances. Each has Dragon as their primary type. Both Reshiram and Zekrom have a base stat total of 680 while Kyurem's is 660, however both Black Kyurem and White Kyurem have a base stat total of 700.
Each of the members of the trio has control of their own types and sides. Reshiram represents the concept of yang and controls Fire, Zekrom represents the concept of yin and controls Thunder, and Kyurem represents the concept of wuji (the absence of yin and yang) and controls Ice.
Artwork featuring Reshiram and Zekrom
The mythologies of the trio are implied to be connected, despite having no true relation. The origins of Zekrom and Reshiram are told in legends, as they were once a single powerful Dragon Pokémon used by twin heroes in order to create the Unova region. But the brothers each sought something different in life — truth for the older brother and ideals for the younger — and they began to argue, then fight, over whose side was right. The single dragon, in response, split into two Pokémon: Reshiram, who sided with the older twin, and Zekrom, who sided with the younger twin.
The two dragons were equally matched as they battled and neither conquered the other. As a result, the brothers set aside their differences and equally declared that there was no right side, either. But the sons of the heroes resumed the fight, and Reshiram and Zekrom destroyed the region with their fire and lightning powers. They subsequently disappeared afterward.
At the beginning of Black and White, one of them resides in Dragonspiral Tower, who is called upon by N to create his ideal world. The player is tasked with finding the other dragon in its corresponding stone (Light Stone in Black and Dark Stone in White) and revive it to resolve the history the twins began in the past.
Kyurem's origins were believed to be much different than those of the other two. The third dragon came down to the Pokémon world from an icy meteor and crashed into a place called Giant Chasm. An old legend in Lacunosa Town describing Kyurem claims that it would take people and Pokémon away from the town and eat them; this is why the town is now surrounded by a giant wall, and why none of its residents set foot outside their homes after dark. During Black 2 and White 2 however, an NPC claims that this story of Kyurem's origin might not be true. Drayden tells the player character that at the time of the original dragon's split into Reshiram and Zekrom, a third dragon was "created", or "leftover", this third dragon being Kyurem. The Pokédex entry for Kyurem also states that Kyurem is waiting for a hero to fill in the missing parts of its body with "truth and ideals", implying that Kyurem wishes to reunite with Reshiram and Zekrom.
Zekrom and Reshiram using Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare, their first signature moves
Zekrom and Reshiram using Bolt Strike and Blue Flare, their second signature moves
Base stat comparison
- Like the legendary beasts in HeartGold and SoulSilver, each member of the trio shares battle music that is slightly remixed to match their secondary typing.
- Zekrom's theme has a crackling thunder effect and Reshiram's theme has a burning fire effect. While Kyurem's theme does not have a similar special effect, it has an extra slapped bass part playing in the background.
- The Tao trio may refer to The Three Pure Ones, due to their relations with Taoism.
- It is so far the only legendary trio with no known trio master as of yet.
- This legendary trio is the first since the legendary birds to return to the three types being Fire, Electric, and Ice, even though these types are secondary to the Dragon type.
- Each of the three has a type combination unique to itself.
- Reshiram's blue eyes represent Kyurem's ice, Kyurem's yellow eyes represent Zekrom's electricity, and Zekrom's red eyes represent Reshiram's fire.
- Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem are the only legendary Pokémon to have more than one signature move, along with Keldeo.
- Kyurem possesses the most signature moves out of all the members of the Tao trio. It has access to Glaciate in its default state, Freeze Shock as Black Kyurem, and Ice Burn when it changes into White Kyurem.
- The Tao trio have their own battle transition. A few lights will gather in the center of the screen, and a swirl vortex will zoom in from the center.
- Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem are occasionally known as the "Blazing White Yang", "Electrifying Black Yin", and "Frozen Boundary", respectively. This is a reference to the concept of Yin and Yang of Taoism.
- All three members learn the move Imprison twice: once at level 8 and again at level 64.
- Each member of the Tao trio has a secondary Sugimori artwork depicting their Abilities activated. Kyurem has two of them, one for each alternate form.